[1.12.x] [BG] Coriolis Space Systems | Extendable tethers & more based on the movie 'Stowaway' | v1.0.1

benjee10

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

13 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

also this could make a cool tether base with a asteroid as a weight

That's a really cool idea!

12 hours ago, Rocketology said:

@benjee10And another homerun! Seriously, another great work!

Do you have a twitter handle or instagram for promoting your stuff? 

Ah thanks very much! I don't have any KSP related socials really, so a link to my SpaceDock page maybe? I'm not sure!

12 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

How many does the capsule seat?

It seats 4, though having now watched the movie it should actually seat 3 (with someone stowed away in the back). 

Having said that we have a lack of 4 person capsules in KSP and there's plenty of space for 4, so I'll probably stick with it. 

8 hours ago, Miguelsgamingch said:

I Just noticed 

you have been making new mods lately

yes

3 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Having said that we have a lack of 4 person capsules in KSP and there's plenty of space for 4, so I'll probably stick with it. 

There was also an apparent lack of realistic-ish futuristic capsules, so thanks for that too!

Also are you going to add this, B10 Suits, and Planetside Exploration to your sig?

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

Just found out, along with some other cool details about the movie “Stowaway,” that the tethered spacecraft concept was designed with the help of Scott Manley.

Here’s a very cool video where he discusses the design. :cool:

Outstanding job bringing this to KSP with your usual artistic mastery!

7 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Wow this is seriously cool. I wonder if the same techniques shown here can be applied to EVA tethers for kerbals?

As said in the OP, these are basically just extremely long pistons, so unfortunately that can't be done using this technique.

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

EVA tethers for kerbals?

You can attach a claw to Benjee's tether and claw the kerbal, or you can use KAS cable winch, press "grab connector" and yes, it will work like a flexible tether, preventing them from flying away and allowing you to tow them back. Yes, it works in 1.11.1.

18 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

There was also an apparent lack of realistic-ish futuristic capsules, so thanks for that too!

I was just thinking it. The capsule gives me Interstellar Ranger vibes without breaking the laws of physics*.

*Interstellar's ranger doesn't break the laws of physics, it just has stupidly efficient chemical engines.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:37 AM, OrdinaryKerman said:

Ever heard of NF Spacecraft? :D

Seriously, this is a nice little runabout, even if I wouldn't use it for reentry or atmospheric flight due to its massive windows that I think are unrealistic for that application.

The tethers are the highlight though, they add something to a station by making centrifuges unnecessary (Kerbalism doesn't realize that though).

On 4/23/2021 at 8:26 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

*Interstellar's ranger doesn't break the laws of physics, it just has stupidly efficient chemical engines.

https://space.stackexchange.com/a/17132

37 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Ever heard of NF Spacecraft? :D

I already do use that, just that Coriolis feels more on the 'future' and NF Spacecraft's pods are more on the 'near' part

37 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I wouldn't use it for reentry or atmospheric flight due to its massive windows that I think are unrealistic for that application.

It has a slight resemblance to the 787 cockpit if you look at it long enough

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

also it is not just the quantity, but also the extremely good quality

Yeah some all of Nertea's models are amazing. I really love the big capsules, and wish there was a free IVA mode so I could wander around and look at them.

Edited by Kerminator K-100

Somehow this is the first time I’ve seen this thread but another brilliant mod and very clever idea/implementation. I promise not to blame an unrelated bug on any of these parts as well :D

On 4/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, OrdinaryKerman said:

Also are you going to add this, B10 Suits, and Planetside Exploration to your sig?

I should probably get around to that! 

On 4/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

Wow this is seriously cool. I wonder if the same techniques shown here can be applied to EVA tethers for kerbals?

Unfortunately not, no. 

On 4/24/2021 at 4:26 AM, SpaceFace545 said:

I was just thinking it. The capsule gives me Interstellar Ranger vibes without breaking the laws of physics*.

Yup, the window layout is very Ranger-y (though a little more sensible!) That clustered window look has been something of a trend in space movies since Interstellar (and I'm not complaining)