Escaping the surface of EVE

duckunlimited2

So I stranded a lone kerbal on the surface of EVE a day ago. Since he was the first kerbal in my game to ever set forth on another planet, I thought it be best to bring him back home. As you know, with a gravity 1.7 stronger than kerbin's, and a bigger and thicker atmosphere, getting off the planet will be a challenge. So any suggestions on getting into orbit from the surface of EVE?

I just need it to get in orbit, another vessel will rendezvous with it later to bring them home.

My initial thoughts were to use a spaceplane design with srb boosters. However, if there is a more economical design that saves on weight ill go for it. Remember, i need to bring this thing from kerbin to EVE.

If you have not planned the landing vessel to be orbit capable already, its too late. to save him, I would suggest launching another rocket to eve, one that is carefully designed to be able to land and then achieve orbit. spaceplanes seem like the best option right now, as they can easily reach the upper layers of the atmosphere, then jettison the wings and get into orbit with a rocket. You would probably have to use the shuttle-like spaceplane cockpit, since it can hold more than one kerman. don't forget to put a few parachutes on decouplers to safely and efficiently descend. if you plan on launching 2 rockets (one for rescue, one for orbital rendesvous and return mission), be sure that each one has the 3 man cockpit, but with only one kerbal in each. that way you can fit all 3 into one return rocket.

Have none of you guys tried setting foot on EVE? No matter what you do, unless someone has some trick, nobody is leaving EVE alive. Once your Kerbal sets foot on the surface, he just kind of rolls over on his side and can't get up. I tried this 2x before I refused to sacrifice a 3rd Kerbal.

Someone tell me if they've seen different, but as far as I know if you leave a Kerbal down there, he'd better already be in his ship to leave.

Have none of you guys tried setting foot on EVE? No matter what you do, unless someone has some trick, nobody is leaving EVE alive. Once your Kerbal sets foot on the surface, he just kind of rolls over on his side and can't get up. I tried this 2x before I refused to sacrifice a 3rd Kerbal.

Someone tell me if they've seen different, but as far as I know if you leave a Kerbal down there, he'd better already be in his ship to leave.

I can walk around on Eve, but if I try and jump he will get stuck.

On the book, you need aerospikes(best TWR and IMPs) for EVE departure stage, and a lots of fuel, also since the fuel budget is so low, you might want to keep your interplanetary stage till the point where you enter atmosphere of EVE.

Edited by 4 IN 1

Although it was not an ascent, whilst I was attemting to keep my Kittyhawk spaceplane aloft to reach land, I repeatedly used the rocket engines. From the paltry amount of speed it gave me, I do not believe it could have returned to orbit, let alone to the interplanetary transfer stage.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not had any problems walking on Eve, I've even had Jeb run down the side of a mountain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.