weather in ksp 2?

Weather in ksp 2?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. should there be weather? (storms, wind, etc)

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I don't know
    • Could you repeat the question?

I think that ksp 2 should definitely have some sort of weather mechanics, because that would open the door to many challenges that people have to face in real life, like, "will we have to scrub the launch because of a storm?" or maybe the weather on other planets might be a concern, like lets say a certain planet is close to its star, and has a thick atmosphere of sulphur or something. the storms might eat away at certain rocket materials, creating challenging scenarios for experienced players. In my opinion, this would be a great addition to ksp 2, but tell me what you think.

19 minutes ago, determinationmaster said:

"will we have to scrub the launch because of a storm?"

Without construction times and/or time constraints on life support it becomes a matter of "warp to launch" and even with those it will mostly result in added weight for more margin when launching Kerbals.

Just now, Wubslin said:

Kinda bummed not one person has taken one of the TMBG meme responses yet. Now I want to change my answer

Do you know the show Malcom in the middle? it was a family tv sitcom from the early 2000s.  the whole poll was partly the theme song for that show.

oh wait I just realized that is what you are talking about lol

On one hand I like the idea of weather and it affecting your craft, on the other hand I don't like the idea of it interfering with the craft as well.

As Master39 alluded to, you can simply time-warp to bypass bad weather, which just makes it a massive annoyance to people who don't want it.

It also makes it MUCH more difficult to do iterative design, because you don't know if your craft failed due to a design problem, or if the weather pushed it past its limits.

So overall I think I am leaning towards no, unless the weather is just cosmetic and doesn't interfere with gameplay, then they can do whatever they wish.

Edited by MechBFP

15 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I say just cosmetic, but eastereggs like lightning destroying a craft with low chances, or a meteoritr destroying a craft would be cool, and funny.

Surely there is a balance... Maybe an option to turnnon and off with a frequency slider?

5 hours ago, determinationmaster said:

Do you know the show Malcom in the middle? it was a family tv sitcom from the early 2000s.  the whole poll was partly the theme song for that show.

oh wait I just realized that is what you are talking about lol

Getchyo self cultured my guy.

MINIMUM WAGE

HEEYAA

No but it's all good. To avoid invoking the wrath of the OT fairy I do want to say weather is just one of those things that's so extra and not needed. I mean, it's already one of the only games where an atmosphere is a big PITA just by being there. Do we really wanna dedicate resources that could be making the space stuff cooler just to make atmospheres worse?

4 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I say just cosmetic, but eastereggs like lightning destroying a craft with low chances, or a meteoritr destroying a craft would be cool, and funny.

This isn't Space Engineers...

Cosmetic weather effects only. Don't want to deal with real weather effects in KSP. If I want to mess with weather effects, I would play MFS2020.

Guest The Doodling Astronaut2
9 hours ago, determinationmaster said:

I think that ksp 2 should definitely have some sort of weather mechanics, because that would open the door to many challenges that people have to face in real life, like, "will we have to scrub the launch because of a storm?" or maybe the weather on other planets might be a concern, like lets say a certain planet is close to its star, and has a thick atmosphere of sulphur or something. the storms might eat away at certain rocket materials, creating challenging scenarios for experienced players. In my opinion, this would be a great addition to ksp 2, but tell me what you think.

We had a discussion on this a few months back (back in the good ol' TDA1 days :()

We all talked about how hard of preformance it would be, clouds ok, storms and wind, eh not so much

Hmm... I think it would definitely be interesting to have weather, and I am not opposed to it, but I don't actually go to space that often anymore! I am busy on the ground building  and testing construction equipment.

I am not sure whether I would prefer cosmetic or interactive weather, but I think there should be the option to turn it on or off in the settings.

8 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

If anything there shouldn't be weather on kerbin, it's the tutorial phase. Though, adding weather to other planets like sandstorms on duna would be cool perhaps.

yeah, lots of other people seem to be leaning towards that. I have decided that is the best idea. maybe a certain planet would have super fast winds, like neptune.

9 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

If anything there shouldn't be weather on kerbin, it's the tutorial phase. Though, adding weather to other planets like sandstorms on duna would be cool perhaps.

if you were to add it to any planet it would be kerbin because its the tutorial phase. No point in learning how to deal with weather once you get to a new planet.  

KSP is, to me, mostly a sandbox game that rewards good planning.  There are no random failures in the stock game.  The only unpredictable mechanics in KSP1 are ISRU cooling and Kerbnet searching for anomalies, and I dislike both enough to avoid them completely.  So I think we don't want weather surprises that frustrate the player's plans.

But that leaves room for weather that follows a pattern, as most weather really does.

Clouds give a nice height-reference in KSP with the EVE mod, and dust-storms on Duna are an interesting challenge for landing there.  They can be seen from orbit and move predictably, with EVE, so we can plan for them or avoid them.

Steady wind following a regular daily cycle, plus maybe a seasonal cycle, would be interesting for aircraft and for aiming lightweight probes, and players would build sailboats, or spaceplanes that need to take off into a strong wind.  Something like the current ScanSat mod could map winds from orbit if they existed.

Seasons barely exist in KSP1; we might try to arrive at Moho in the northern Summer to find the hole at its north pole.  If high winds or difficult cloud layers on some KSP2 planet are seasonal, we can choose to accept or avoid the challenge.