What do you think about "For all mankind" season?

Pawelk198604

I watched season 1, and was willing to allow it to get pretty deep into the Cold War weeds as a plot device to have the militaristic space race... saw the season 2 trailer, and never watched season 2 at all as a result.

Edited by tater

It was interesting as entertainment, but as a realistic space show it is bad.

To give an idea of how silly it is, a large portion of the Soviet Northern Fleet sails to the Caribbean during the crisis in the final few episodes, well away from land based bomber support, completely violating the doctrine and mission of the Soviet Navy at the time. Also, the fleet is supposed to be "threatening the southern US" despite nuclear land attack weapons on Soviet surface ships having been mainly limited to gravity bombs that the Yak-38 was capable of carrying (I might be wrong on this, there may have been none at all).

Space related inaccurate aspects have been gone over in the Bad science fiction hall of shame, and I covered the historical inaccuracies in the post about season 1 (which was not moved, and remained in the Science & Spaceflight section of the forum).

Season 3 is going to Mars though, which should be interesting. Even if the science and physics are messed up, shots of humans on Mars are still cool. The boot in the final scene looks similar to the cosmonaut boots from when the Soviets entered the American lunar base, it is looking like they win that chapter of the Space Race (again, as the premise is if the Space Race never ended. Americans win= six missions to the Martian surface, then massive budget cuts and a retreat to the Earth-Moon system + Soviets giving up. The show very may well be a never ending cycle of Soviet firsts in space lol).

10 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It was interesting as entertainment, but as a realistic space show it is bad.

This.

I enjoy it for the storytelling and the drama.   The social issues it covers are also pretty well done, they're there, but they're not in your face.  

Yes, there is some technical stuff they take liberties with, but I can deal with most of them as the story telling makes up for the lack of accuracy, in my opinion.

It's good enough to possibly inspire some to get interested in Apollo era stuff, then to have them learn the realities.    I think the positives outweigh the negatives with this show. 

Meh. Not a fan. I've watched all of it, and there are parts I like. But there is too much that's just too wrong with it for my tastes, such as nearly everything in the show which happens in space. I'll watch season 3 if it happens because I'm a glutton for punishment, but... meh.

i finished it yesterday, i thought it was very entertaining. it did show a picture of what space combat would look like with somewhat current gen technology, if you can ignore some of its inaccuracies. the scene where the marines shoot the cosmonaut and he catches on fire in his suit was kind of interesting, and something i had not considered. im curious if the collapse of the soviet union will proceed on schedule in this alternate universe. 

An article has been released where Garrett Reisman (former astronaut and technical advisor) and Ronald D. Moore (executive producer) explain why Space Shuttles go to the Moon- cost.

http://www.collectspace.com//news/news-042621a-for-all-mankind-space-shuttle-moon.html

They could have done the Space Shuttle + Nuclear Shuttle + Space Tug for lunar base transport that was planned in real life, but it would have cost a load of money for the CGI, compared to using stock footage. They would also need to build a new set, while there was a Space Shuttle cockpit set already. They couldn't afford all of its along with the expanded lunar base set.

Also, they just felt the real life Shuttle was too iconic to leave out.

It would have been nice to see the full STS, probably with the DC-3 space shuttle design, but that would have meant no larger lunar base. I think the trade off is fine, considering I don't watch it for realism anyways.

Reusing props and sets from other shows doesn't excuse their frequent displays of a lack of understanding of basic orbital mechanics. Nor does it excuse the writing that stumbles all over itself; such as establishing in one episode that Russians use a less-volatile air/O2 atmosphere mix in their ships and suits only to hand-wave a suit fire away a few episodes later as having been due to "having 100% oxygen in the suits."

Edited by Cydonian Monk

8 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

They could have done the Space Shuttle + Nuclear Shuttle + Space Tug for lunar base transport that was planned in real life, but it would have cost a load of money for the CGI, compared to using stock footage. They would also need to build a new set, while there was a Space Shuttle cockpit set already

They could do it in KSP + mods, and pay just for KSP and electricity.  The work itself would be done by enthusiasts for a handful of letters in credits. Just spaceships, not Godzilla vs Kong.

But they preferred an over-expensive  way, and have a nerve to tell about the cost...

8 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Also, they just felt the real life Shuttle was too iconic to leave out.

Kids would be crying: "Mom! Where iz ze shattle?!"

Such kid-friendly movie.

5 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Reusing props and sets from other shows doesn't excuse their frequent displays of a lack of understanding of basic orbital mechanics. Nor does it excuse the writing that stumbles all over itself; such as establishing in one episode that Russians use a less-volatile air/O2 atmosphere mix in their ships and suits only to hand-wave a suit fire away a few episodes later as having been due to "having 100% oxygen in the suits."

I don't think they said suits used air/O2 for suits in that conversation in the show, they didn't specify what it was.

Keep in mind that article is only about Space Shuttles going to the Moon. Not "a vehicle that doesn't have enough delta v to get to the Moon". Unfortunately because it is a pop TV show they will deliberately ignore realism for drama. For example, there is no good reason why the windows on Jamestown should have been thin enough for shots from an AKM to penetrate.

Also, they sometimes ignore common sense for drama too. The defector on the lunar base doesn't speak English during the incident in which he is shot, only to speak it rather well in later episodes. Even if the cosmonauts panicked when the Moon Marines showed up pointing rifles at them, it is pretty unlikely he would just forget to speak English and reach for the translation card.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

They could do it in KSP + mods, and pay just for KSP and electricity.  The work itself would be done by enthusiasts for a handful of letters in credits. Just spaceships, not Godzilla vs Kong.

But they preferred an over-expensive  way, and have a nerve to tell about the cost...

Kids would be crying: "Mom! Where iz ze shattle?!"

Such kid-friendly movie.

Sadly I don't think the Apple executives would sign off on such a plan. Is there a mod allowing for a spectator view/free camera in KSP? Standard views from the spacecraft when playing KSP as usual are probably not good enough for what has been described as Apple TV+'s flagship show.

Also judging from the reddit, this show is watched by people who are confused by the lunar base being a thing despite it being an alternate history show (I recall some questions saying "why are there lunar missions in 1974? I thought the last one was in '72?), so the Shuttle might be for them. They may get confused by it not being present. But on the other hand, they then get confused by Space Shuttles in lunar orbit, so I suppose exactly who such reasoning was targeted for is a mystery. After all, this is an alternate history show, people don't watch it to see NASA's budget being slashed resulting in a dangerous vehicle (as happened in real life), they watch it to see what might have been.

• 1 year later...

I couldn't find another thread on this show, so I'm continuing here. There is no need to open a new one.

Season 3, episode 1 has been released. Here is a trailer for the new season.

SPOILER

Spoiler

Producers messed up space station's artificial gravity thruster positions, but it was a good episode.

yogudmusm9591.png

6 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I couldn't find another thread on this show

00:12 The ring either shades solar panels, or is warmed up by radiators, depending on what are these panels.

00:13 ... and why have nosecones in vacuum and attach an arm to probably a fuel tank?

00:15 What a strange set of glowing blue engines sitting along and sticking out through the heatshield, which in turn is very necessary for a lunar lander.
(Happily the heatshield can be neither dusted by sticky regolith and start asymmetrically burning on atmospheric re-enter, nor damaged on landing onto the regolith.
So, it needs neither protective cover, nor be hidden insside a landing stage).

00:16 What is this aerodynamic horror???
Based on the tulip launchpad, Russkies are such Russkies...
A Death Red Star, compact edition.

00:45 I didn't watch the series attentively, but iirc the plot starts in 1969.
What are these flat displays in the control room and everywhere? Where are the honest huge green things like in Fallout?

00:52 A squared reentry module is very handy. You can place beds and tables right near the walls, without ugly empy segments...

01:08 ... omg, it's indeed a lander.

01:03 Forget everything you know about rovers and combat vehicles. This is how a heavy vehicle wheel suspension should look like.
It works on a tonne-heavy Persetunity, so should work on a huger device.

01:19 "A safety belt"? What's that?

A lifehack.
Do you know that a fire extinguisher is not just a fire extinguisher, but can also replace a safety belt when you work in zero-g?
Always carry one in space.

01:26 Who's that?
One could think that it's Russkies, based on their strangely looking suits.
But Russkies would wear posh-red spacesuits with sickle-and-hammer and a red star on helmets.

Martian marines in sea-colored camouflage?

01:30 / 01:31 The control probe room is happy that the crew flew against the wall?
Was it their successful stupid joke? A remote sudden stop of rotating habitat?

01:32 Why is the pyramidlander flying horizontally? Not enough thrust to jump?

Edited by kerbiloid

On 6/13/2022 at 7:09 AM, Watermel00n said:

Perhaps one set of thursters is to speed up, the other is to stop rotation if needed?

If the ring was the only structure, it would require diametrically opposing thrusters so that the center of torque is in the center of the ring where the center of mass is. Otherwise, there's a netto force causing tumbling and orbital change.

However, the ring is not the only structure. It sits on a supporting structure that has large solar panels. Center of ring's mass is not at the center of station's mass.

The whole design is a mess that makes no sense...

On 6/13/2022 at 6:44 AM, kerbiloid said:

00:45 I didn't watch the series attentively, but iirc the plot starts in 1969.
What are these flat displays in the control room and everywhere? Where are the honest huge green things like in Fallout?

01:19 "A safety belt"? What's that?

That thread is just for trailers, and this one is for the show itself. First episode was already aired.

First season starts in 1969, but now it's the 90s if I got it right. Flat panels were already commercialized in the 80s. It was in the second season I think.

"Safety belt"... I can't comment without spoiling. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.