Jump to content

What do you think about "For all mankind" season?


Pawelk198604
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Your bar is set way too high. We are getting a really great series on alternative timeline.

Maybe it's Star Trek timeline you know Star Trek Picard :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Your bar is set way too high. We are getting a really great series on alternative timeline.

I only saw the first few minutes of the latest season, but that montage of history to catch up to the beginning of the episode was pretty well done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 4:17 PM, Pawelk198604 said:

Maybe it's Star Trek timeline you know Star Trek Picard :-)

I stopped watching new Star treks. The films and the series. I can't stand the cinematography with lens flares, constant camera panning, weird grim lightning and colors, and other annoying effects that are overblown and forced at the viewer. Maybe in the future I'll get more will do do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

1. So low-poly shuttle model...

2. The have orange and white suits.
They are Kerbals.

2.1. For some reasons, some BadS are sitting behind.
Low stupidity + Low courage. Nerds.
Or can't pay for business class.

3.  The Soviet Agents in Houston look strongly disappointed.
Are the pyramid bluemen theirs? Then why are the cabin captions in English?

4. Look at the blue crew men faces.
Never send them to Mars first. They'll fail. Choose a proper crew for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2022 at 8:36 PM, kerbiloid said:

3.  The Soviet Agents in Houston look strongly disappointed.
Are the pyramid bluemen theirs? Then why are the cabin captions in English?

I don't have a subscription to this channel (Apple TV, I think?), but according to Wikipedia, the reason for two different types of space suits in that one craft is that those are both US and Soviet crews, after some kind of incident on the way to Mars. And the "bluemen" are a private US corporate mission that was racing to get there first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, mikegarrison said:

some kind of incident on the way to Mars.

  1. Private ship was in the lead to get there first, followed by the US ship, followed by the Soviet ship.
  2. US ship suddenly deployed a solar sail, which rocketed them to first place.
  3. Soviet ship's crew, under pressure from home, overclocked their bootleg NERVAs to close in with the others, resulting in a reactor breach that exposed the crew to radiation.
  4. Private ship and US ship agreed that since the latter are in the lead now, the former will double back to save the Soviets.
  5. Private ship's ground control, under pressure from the boss, remotely locked the crew out of the ship's systems in order to force the US ship to surrender their lead.
  6. US ship doubles back for the rescue and to borrow the Soviet ship's fuel so that they'll have enough delta-V to continue the mission.
  7. Soviet ship suffers a malfunction during crew transfer that crashes it into the US ship, killing three.
  8. Karma struck in the form the dust storm seen in the video, giving the US ship time to catch up.

What the video (and the episode) doesn't show is that in true Kerbal fashion, the US ship struck the ground on landing hard enough to wreck its NERVAs beyond repair, so the crew will be going home without their ship.

Edited by Fraktal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I swear someone on the production team is into KSP...

Situation: Mars lander needs to get up from the surface to its orbiter to medivac an astronaut, but it doesn't have enough fuel to even get into orbit, let alone dock. They also don't have time to wait for ISRU to make enough fuel because the astronaut's condition can't wait that long.

Solution:

  • Mars lander takes off from the surface with the astronaut strapped to the top of the ship.
  • Lander boosts up to a suborbital trajectory within sight range of the orbiter.
  • Near the peak of its trajectory, the lander cuts engines with 7% fuel remaining.
  • Lander tips forward and at the same time, the astronaut unstraps herself and gets flung off towards the orbiter by momentum.
  • Astronaut uses her MMU pack to rendezvous with the orbiter.
  • Lander falls back into the atmosphere on a very steep descent trajectory and lithobrakes with a suicide burn.

Last shot is the pilot walking away from the busted and smoking lander like a boss.

 

And least we forget, the gigantic twist reveal last episode that

Spoiler

all three Mars expeditions got beaten to being first on the planet.

BY TWO NORTH KOREANS IN A SOYUZ CAPSULE. :D:D:D

 

Edited by Fraktal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fraktal said:

I swear someone on the production team is into KSP...

Situation: Mars lander needs to get up from the surface to its orbiter to medivac an astronaut, but it doesn't have enough fuel to even get into orbit, let alone dock. They also don't have time to wait for ISRU to make enough fuel because the astronaut's condition can't wait that long.

Solution:

  • Mars lander takes off from the surface with the astronaut strapped to the top of the ship.
  • Lander boosts up to a suborbital trajectory within sight range of the orbiter.
  • Near the peak of its trajectory, the lander cuts engines with 7% fuel remaining.
  • Lander tips forward and at the same time, the astronaut unstraps herself and gets flung off towards the orbiter by momentum.
  • Astronaut uses her MMU pack to rendezvous with the orbiter.
  • Lander falls back into the atmosphere on a very steep descent trajectory and lithobrakes with a suicide burn.

Last shot is the pilot walking away from the busted and smoking lander like a boss.

 

And least we forget, the gigantic twist reveal last episode that

  Reveal hidden contents

all three Mars expeditions got beaten to being first on the planet.

BY TWO NORTH KOREANS IN A SOYUZ CAPSULE. :D:D:D

 

The astronauts talk about snacks like three times this season. That can’t be a coincidence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i just got back from finishing the finale.. why? whyd they have to kill them? WHYY?

6 hours ago, Fraktal said:

I swear someone on the production team is into KSP...

Situation: Mars lander needs to get up from the surface to its orbiter to medivac an astronaut, but it doesn't have enough fuel to even get into orbit, let alone dock. They also don't have time to wait for ISRU to make enough fuel because the astronaut's condition can't wait that long.

Solution:

  • Mars lander takes off from the surface with the astronaut strapped to the top of the ship.
  • Lander boosts up to a suborbital trajectory within sight range of the orbiter.
  • Near the peak of its trajectory, the lander cuts engines with 7% fuel remaining.
  • Lander tips forward and at the same time, the astronaut unstraps herself and gets flung off towards the orbiter by momentum.
  • Astronaut uses her MMU pack to rendezvous with the orbiter.
  • Lander falls back into the atmosphere on a very steep descent trajectory and lithobrakes with a suicide burn.

Last shot is the pilot walking away from the busted and smoking lander like a boss.

 

And least we forget, the gigantic twist reveal last episode that

  Hide contents

all three Mars expeditions got beaten to being first on the planet.

BY TWO NORTH KOREANS IN A SOYUZ CAPSULE. :D:D:D

 

yeah i said that to my mom while we watched

''the heck this is like ksp''

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

The astronauts talk about snacks like three times this season. That can’t be a coincidence.

Can't find the film budget by seasons.

Maybe the screenwriters starve?

5 hours ago, funnelton said:

why? whyd they have to kill them? WHYY?

It's a movie, not a book, and actors cost money. When you don't need one, you kill it its character.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it was just brought up but the ending is literally just your standard Duna ascent in KSP.

Credit the the people who built the MSAM's plot armour, it survived a near crash-landing, a landslide, and a hard landing on Mars pretty much fully intact at the end of the show.

Spoiler

Maybe they stole some from the guys who made the plot armour for the North Korean capsule ;)

 

Edited by Minmus Taster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoiler

i think the show kind of jumped the shark when they had the pregnant lady strapped to the top of the launch vehicle as a second stage. kerbal though it may be. breeding in space is kind of a big deal for future colonization efforts, so i was disappointed that the baby came out fairly normal. wasted opportunity for a mutant baby childbirth scene. 

the whole ending seemed anticlimactic. you are left not really knowing who is alive and who is dead. didn't like that they killed molly in newsprint and never actually showed her die. i actually had to pause to read the thing to figure out what i just saw. they only brought her back to kill off her character. 

this season felt pretty weak. show seems like its in decline. 

thats all i have to say about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe I can go post the rest of Forgotten Space Program now.... .......

 

Still not on Team FaM myself, though I somewhat enjoy the show and most of the promise and idealism the series has displayed. I'm just perpetually annoyed when they have the opportunity to show some, any, even the slightest bit of a proper understanding of dynamics/mechanics and yet once again manage to screw it up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Maybe they stole some from the guys who made the plot armour for the North Korean capsule ;)

To be fair though, the math has been done on this and a one way mission utilizing a Soyuz capsule would be somewhat feasible (at least on paper). Two people may have been a stretch, I suppose, but we don't know how big the rest of the craft was, there was a propulsion section (because it refueled in LEO) and it could have had a larger hab too. Remember, once they were on the surface they weren't supposed to survive long.

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

i think the show kind of jumped the shark when they had the pregnant lady strapped to the top of the launch vehicle as a second stage. kerbal though it may be. breeding in space is kind of a big deal for future colonization efforts, so i was disappointed that the baby came out fairly normal. wasted opportunity for a mutant baby childbirth scene.

I think they just took the "Mars has almost no atmosphere resulting in no need for aerodynamics" trope from The Martian and used it again. Headcanon for why she didn't appear to suffer too bad is that in The Martian, Watney accelerated to Mars escape velocity because the Hermes was doing a flyby, while in the show it is just Mars orbit.

IMO though if Space Shuttles are already flying to the Moon anyways that isn't too much of a problem, especially if The Martian has done it before.

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

the whole ending seemed anticlimactic. you are left not really knowing who is alive and who is dead. didn't like that they killed molly in newsprint and never actually showed her die. i actually had to pause to read the thing to figure out what i just saw. they only brought her back to kill off her character.

This was intentional, inspired by stories from 9/11 of people going into the dust to rescue people and not being found (dead) days later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Credit the the people who built the MSAM's plot armour, it survived a near crash-landing, a landslide, and a hard landing on Mars pretty much fully intact at the end of the show.

Armour.

Spoiler

 

Rover armor.

Spoiler

 

 


They can improve.

Edited by kerbiloid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Credit the the people who built the MSAM's plot armour, it survived a near crash-landing, a landslide, and a hard landing on Mars pretty much fully intact at the end of the show.

It might not necessarily be repairable, though. Remember that Sojourner looked intact too aside from the engine nozzles being crooked from groundstrike, yet we're told it's unrepairable with what they have on hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...