Will KSP2 Have More Than One Extra Star System?

I know we are obviously getting the Kerbol system and at least one more but more than these two has never been confirmed.

Two seems to be a good number but three would be perfect and achievable.

I know that making planets, stars, orbits and spaceship parts is hard work and I completely understand that three would be a lot unless there was only two planets per star system.

I'm basically sticking my nose into Intercept Games private business but I'm just so excited for KSP2.

If the devs see this please keep up the good work and continue on.

Thank you for all you have given us,

IronKerman

@KSPStar @Nate Simpson

12 minutes ago, Iron Kerman said:

I know we are obviously getting the Kerbol system and at least one more but more than these two has never been confirmed.

Two seems to be a good number but three would be perfect and achievable.

I know that making planets, stars, orbits and spaceship parts is hard work and I completely understand that three would be a lot unless there was only two planets per star system.

I'm basically sticking my nose into Intercept Games private business but I'm just so excited for KSP2.

If the devs see this please keep up the good work and continue on.

Thank you for all you have given us,

IronKerman

@KSPStar @Nate Simpson

Actually, it has pretty much been confirmed! Multipl starsytems has been the language they use. Also, we know of many new named bodies. 

Including,

Glumo

Ovin

Rask and Rusk

Puf

Merbel

Char

2 hours ago, Hellenic said:

Honestly I expect there to be maybe 3 or 4 new solar systems at launch with the team releasing new ones down the line as free expansions or more likely as dlc.

Wow. Imagine a grand tour in KSP2.  And there will probably be a lot of names to remember. 

Personally guessing there will be at least 10 star systems at launch, could see upwards of 15. We probably haven't even seen 20% of the planets that weren't in the original, and we know of 8-ish new planets and moons (that is without going back over everything they have released, though). My hope is that they will add a new star system each year.

3 hours ago, Linky said:

Personally guessing there will be at least 10 star systems at launch, could see upwards of 15. We probably haven't even seen 20% of the planets that weren't in the original, and we know of 8-ish new planets and moons (that is without going back over everything they have released, though). My hope is that they will add a new star system each year.

At lease we know there be more then 1. Cause you can’t go interstellar without another star system.

12 hours ago, Hellenic said:

Honestly I expect there to be maybe 3 or 4 new solar systems at launch with the team releasing new ones down the line as free expansions or more likely as dlc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think that's probably quite likely 

If the game is launched early spring 2022, the game started development in mid summer 2017, and covid + studio change set the team back 9 months that gives approx 4 yrs of dev time. Assuming they didn't start making planets until a year and a half or so into development that gives 2.5 yrs of time to build planets. I've gotten the impression there's been a guy at the studio who's main job has been creating the planets and such (what a cool job...). Estimating it takes a week to finish a celestial body from start to finish on average and there will have been about 125 weeks of celestial body dev time that leaves us with 125 bodies. If the average system has about 15 - 20 bodies that would be around 6 - 8 systems in total.

If I am overestimating the dev time required to make a planet, moon, or star (I think I am) there may be as many as 20 systems possibly (or more, I guess)

Someone who knows game development feel free to chime in, as I am just making guesses and talking out my rear.

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

If the game is launched early spring 2022, the game started development in mid summer 2017, and covid + studio change set the team back 9 months that gives approx 4 yrs of dev time. Assuming they didn't start making planets until a year and a half or so into development that gives 2.5 yrs of time to build planets. I've gotten the impression there's been a guy at the studio who's main job has been creating the planets and such (what a cool job...). Estimating it takes a week to finish a celestial body from start to finish on average and there will have been about 125 weeks of celestial body dev time that leaves us with 125 bodies. If the average system has about 15 - 20 bodies that would be around 6 - 8 systems in total.

If I am overestimating the dev time required to make a planet, moon, or star (I think I am) there may be as many as 20 systems possibly (or more, I guess)

Someone who knows game development feel free to chime in, as I am just making guesses and talking out my rear.

Those numbers might be a little ambitious, but I see what you are saying.

19 hours ago, Hellenic said:

I'm hoping (and expecting) at least 3 at launch, and as you said possibly some more in future updates.

Guest The Doodling Astronaut2
19 hours ago, Iron Kerman said:

6 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Estimating it takes a week to finish a celestial body from start to finish on average and there will have been about 125 weeks of celestial body dev time that leaves us with 125 bodies. If the average system has about 15 - 20 bodies that would be around 6 - 8 systems in total.

Yes KSP will have more than one extra star system. This has been confirmed

I'm assuming your getting ur "week to finish" from doing a kopernicus planet, which yeah if you have the skill you could.

BUT consider the fact that Kopernicus planets don't usually have local water levels, unique terrain, axial tilt, and such. Don't get me wrong Kopernicus planets are amazing and really show talent.

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut2 said:

I'm assuming your getting ur "week to finish" from doing a kopernicus planet, which yeah if you have the skill you could.

BUT consider the fact that Kopernicus planets don't usually have local water levels, unique terrain, axial tilt, and such. Don't get me wrong Kopernicus planets are amazing and really show talent.

I've seen kopernicus planets done by amateur's in like an hour:

Spoiler

I figure if this is someone's main focus in development then 40 hours per celestial body isn't unreasonable (perhaps it is). In my defense, professional artists can do something in an hour  that a layman would imagine taking days of effort (i.e. Bob Ross)

I don't see how axial tilt would cause any change in dev time and I don't think local water levels have even been confirmed, only speculated/wished for. Unique terrain I have no doubt will be there, though I imagine a professional artist could manage something like this pretty timely after choosing a color scheme for the planet/moon and making large scale features. I doubt that every nook and cranny will be painstakingly hand crafted, though I do hope for some crafted vistas.

Guest The Doodling Astronaut2
1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I've seen kopernicus planets done by amateur's in like an hour:

Reveal hidden contents

I figure if this is someone's main focus in development then 40 hours per celestial body isn't unreasonable (perhaps it is). In my defense, professional artists can do something in an hour  that a layman would imagine taking days of effort (i.e. Bob Ross)

I don't see how axial tilt would cause any change in dev time and I don't think local water levels have even been confirmed, only speculated/wished for. Unique terrain I have no doubt will be there, though I imagine a professional artist could manage something like this pretty timely after choosing a color scheme for the planet/moon and making large scale features. I doubt that every nook and cranny will be painstakingly hand crafted, though I do hope for some crafted vistas.

It's kinda the rule of Quality>Quantity

You could theoretically make 125 planets, but is that a good idea? Is it better to have 125 planets that took a week, OR 30 planets that took a month each that has way more time put into it.

I could see the team going with the 125, but I feel like the 30 is a way better way, it might even be less. more time spent on working on these planets means more reason to visit them more. 

I'm putting in my vote for 3 total systems worth of stuff. Home system, nearby complete system, and a more distant system with fewer, more bizzare planets. Sprinkle maybe a rogue planet or something in on the side.

I don't see us getting tons and tons of new planets with all the work that appears to be going into them, and I'd rather not wait any extra time to add more worlds that can be added after release.

7 minutes ago, TLTay said:

I'm putting in my vote for 3 total systems worth of stuff. Home system, nearby complete system, and a more distant system with fewer, more bizzare planets. Sprinkle maybe a rogue planet or something in on the side.

I don't see us getting tons and tons of new planets with all the work that appears to be going into them, and I'd rather not wait any extra time to add more worlds that can be added after release.

Rogue planets would be a great idea. I would also like to say that I feel like it will be more then 3 systems.

11 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut2 said:

It's kinda the rule of Quality>Quantity

You could theoretically make 125 planets, but is that a good idea? Is it better to have 125 planets that took a week, OR 30 planets that took a month each that has way more time put into it.

I could see the team going with the 125, but I feel like the 30 is a way better way, it might even be less. more time spent on working on these planets means more reason to visit them more. 

Well this why I was asking for someone in the industries take on the subject. Does it take a whole month for a full time professional artist to make a planet or a week? I would like a quality game but quality comes with diminishing returns vs time and I don't have the experience or judgment to make that call. Heck, maybe it only takes 2 days to make a good planet by someone who does this for a living? If that's the case we will have 45 - 60 systems.

I thought a week/planet was being conservative, personally.

23 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I would say that the main constraint will not be the time they have but the sense it would make to have that many planets at launch from a game design perspective.

Most people in 8 years still haven't explored the whole kerbolar system and it would probably take years to fully explore and get bored with even 2 or 3 new full systems.

I don't think it makes sense to add more than 4 or 5 different systems at least at launch, even if you could make 20 others in time for launch, it would result in an overkill of choice that would change very little for most players while also making new systems less valuable if added in the future as updates or DLCs.

If 4 whole systems manage to feel like they're not enough I would question the game balance of interstellar travel, and the colony and exploration gameplay before thinking about adding more systems.

7 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I would say that the main constraint will not be the time they have but the sense it would make to have that many planets at launch from a game design perspective.

Most people in 8 years still haven't explored the whole kerbolar system and it would probably take years to fully explore and get bored with even 2 or 3 new full systems.

I don't think it makes sense to add more than 4 or 5 different systems at least at launch, even if you could make 20 others in time for launch, it would result in an overkill of choice that would change very little for most players while also making new systems less valuable if added in the future as updates or DLCs.

If 4 whole systems manage to feel like they're not enough I would question the game balance of interstellar travel, and the colony and exploration gameplay before thinking about adding more systems.

I genuinely get what you mean here and even if there were more than 5 or 10 systems I doubt more than 1% of the community would visit more than 3. But I think there is an appealing nature to know theres always more you haven't seen yet. Also, I just think it might look lonely if there was a small number of systems when you zoom out to that level. This is part of why I hope ,but doubt I will see it, that there would be a procedurally generated galaxy outside the handcrafted local neighborhood. Kind of like an endless forest at the edge of a map so you don't have invisible walls or empty space out to infinity. It wouldn't have much definition but it would make the game feel even more grand.

I have two theories..  

First would be 2, possibly 3 additional solar systems at launch.   Each with 5 to 8 planets and a selection of moons.

Second, would be maybe 5 or 6 additional systems.  One with 7 to 10 planets (+ moons), and the others  with upto 5 planets (+ moons), but generally more 'exotic'.

12 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I genuinely get what you mean here and even if there were more than 5 or 10 systems I doubt more than 1% of the community would visit more than 3. But I think there is an appealing nature to know theres always more you haven't seen yet. Also, I just think it might look lonely if there was a small number of systems when you zoom out to that level. This is part of why I hope ,but doubt I will see it, that there would be a procedurally generated galaxy outside the handcrafted local neighborhood. Kind of like an endless forest at the edge of a map so you don't have invisible walls or empty space out to infinity. It wouldn't have much definition but it would make the game feel even more grand.

I just think that a lot of games like Elite or NMS spoiled us with seemingly huge maps that are functionally useless, ruining our perception of how really valuable and grand a single handcrafted solar system can be.

Only the Kerbol system but made with the same planetary tech of the Pol show and tell is already an order of magnitude more places to see than what we have in KSP1, in that video I've already seen a lot of places that I want to visit and build bases on, for a moon that I've never even visited once in KSP1.

I can barely immagine that level of detail not for "just" one solar system but for multiple ones, and it will probably take years for me to explore even just one new full system that isn't the starting one, let alone 2 or 3.

I just don't think that investing in more than that would give any meaningful return, on the contrary, I think it would be counterproductive.

13 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I just think that a lot of games like Elite or NMS spoiled us with seemingly huge maps that are functionally useless, ruining our perception of how really valuable and grand a single handcrafted solar system can be.

Only the Kerbol system but made with the same planetary tech of the Pol show and tell is already an order of magnitude more places to see than what we have in KSP1, in that video I've already seen a lot of places that I want to visit and build bases on, for a moon that I've never even visited once in KSP1.

I can barely immagine that level of detail not for "just" one solar system but for multiple ones, and it will probably take years for me to explore even just one new full system that isn't the starting one, let alone 2 or 3.

I just don't think that investing in more than that would give any meaningful return, on the contrary, I think it would be counterproductive.

With regards to No Man's Sky which i played i have clocked up 100+ hours on NMS but i see your point. NMS is a great game but the fact that it is procedurally generated does take a special something out of the game.

Having a hand crafted solar system is what make KSP so special and why i have stopped playing a game with trillions of star systems and instead switched to one that has one special star system.

9 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Rogue planets would be a great idea.

Rouge planets. It is hard to convey how much i would love to see that in KSP 2.

Also @Master39 i just finished portal and i think im gonna put this as my home screen on my PC.

<<There's no sense crying over every mistake you just keep on trying until you run out of cake and the science gets done>> 

Still Alive, Portal

The developers have made it no secret that modding.extensibility will be a large part of the game.

It makes sense to me that the stock game will have one extra star system, and the infrastructure in the game to add more. The rest is up to mods and “planet packs” DLC. A lot of existing players are content with just Kerbin/Mun/Minmus; why spend a lot of resources on developing multiple star systems that might not even be visited?

I know, not everyone likes DLC but ongoing development needs to be financed and it is, from an end-user perspective, a better alternative over subscriptions and in-game purchases (“micro payments”).