Flag Planting Credit

Hey everyone,

So I am progressing well through my career mode and have done an Eve visit and Gilly landing and am heading to Duna now.  I was considering a Apollo type Duna landing in which I have a crew of 1 stay in orbit in the return vessel while a crew of 2 visit the surface for science and planting a flag.  Then return to the mother ship and return to Kerbin.  

I assume the Kerbal in the orbiting ship will not get credit for the flag planting? This probably makes sense, but i just wanted to double check.

Thanks,

Rylant

14 minutes ago, Rylant said:

I assume the Kerbal in the orbiting ship will not get credit for the flag planting? This probably makes sense, but i just wanted to double check.

"Since 1.2 a single flag planting grants the additional XP to all landed (or splashed down) Kerbals within physics range (crafts also loaded), avoiding the need for repetitive flag planting 'parties'. "

See: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Extend-o-matic_Series_A1_Deployable_Flag

On 4/25/2021 at 11:40 PM, Rylant said:

Apollo type Duna landing in which I have a crew of 1 stay in orbit in the return vessel

On 4/26/2021 at 4:42 PM, radonek said:

need a second landing for your third kerbal

For this reason (and also because I'm lazy) I've started designing landing missions in a bit different way: lander is also a return vessel (depending on mass, I may not even decouple service parts on return to Kerbin and land it as is, reusability rules), while orbiter part is generally a big pack of tanks (and solar panels/reactors if needed) with docking port. So after establishing orbit around target body, I just leave this baggage of spare fuel in orbit, then pick it up again on way back. Lander's engine(s) are also used for propulsion in space. Saves a lot of parts and operations, IMO.

Also, if orbiter stage has detachable tanks, they can be used for planet bombardment after installation of ground seismic unit :)

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2021 at 8:56 AM, Caerfinon said:

"Since 1.2 a single flag planting grants the additional XP to all landed (or splashed down) Kerbals within physics range (crafts also loaded), avoiding the need for repetitive flag planting 'parties'. "

See: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Extend-o-matic_Series_A1_Deployable_Flag

Just to confirm, it's meant that if one of crew members go EVA and plant a flag, all remaining crew INSIDE the craft will received EXP on return to Kerbin, and will have remark in Exp history "plant a flag on ..."?

On 4/26/2021 at 6:42 AM, radonek said:

Like @Caerfinon says, youi need a second landing for your third kerbal. Consider it an opportunity to visit another biome.

A slightly more Kerbal way to do this (at least on a vacuum body) is to have the mothership orbiting extremely low above the surface and plant the flag when it's within physics range. This probably isn't practical but would be really funny.

This wouldn't work on Duna but would be fine on Ike.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.