Unpleasant Kerbal details...

TLTay

debris fields + kessler syndrome, why not add n-body physics to simulate it properly.

30 000 000 body  n-body simulation on 8 threads takes 2s per frame to solve on 2012 server CPU.  Assuming it was 2012 xenon  it would run 10 fps on ryzen 5800x

and yes you can do n-body physics on parallel threads, first papers on that are from 1996, probably earlier, but google doesn't know them.

7 hours ago, ZAJC3W said:

debris fields + kessler syndrome, why not add n-body physics to simulate it properly.

30 000 000 body  n-body simulation on 8 threads takes 2s per frame to solve on 2012 server CPU.  Assuming it was 2012 xenon  it would run 10 fps on ryzen 5800x

and yes you can do n-body physics on parallel threads, first papers on that are from 1996, probably earlier, but google doesn't know them.

Oh yes yes, that's what I wanted to say! N-body physics! I just can't live without a mod called Principia, which replaces stock's toy physics with accurate N-body physics! But the reasons they didn't add that to the game itself is players, alot of newbies would just quit instantly, as they would not understand anything. And optimization. KSP1 was terrible in terms of performance and it still quite is bad. But I want KSP2 to be   P   E   R   F   E   K   T

I just feel bored with pure stock KSP, as it's too easy. But in RSS/RO/Principia. It's interesting, like a challenge. That's because it's way more difficult, but difikult means fun for me.

mi gramar iz nut da best

13 hours ago, DVQuill said:

I read this section as being under Bodies, and thought you were suggesting we turn the expired Kerbals into pellets for the others. Definitely creative...lol

Soylent Green is..... Kerbals!!! :o

At least there would be no need for artificial dyes as food coloring

3 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

Soylent Green is..... Kerbals!!! :o

At least there would be no need for artificial dyes as food coloring

This is Kerbal abuse, I'm calling the police ''inputs 911 into keypad''

All jokes aside this is getting too strange to handle lol

1 hour ago, ShuttlePilot said:

30 000 000 body  n-body simulation

No. We don't want killing CPU's. This is CPU abuse right now. Why would we need 30 million celestial bodies in KSP2, my computer would turn into a silent thermonuclear bomb.

14 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

Soylent Green is..... Kerbals!!!

Nope.
It was... Kerbals.

10 minutes ago, ShuttlePilot said:

No. We don't want killing CPU's.

The sooner you kill CPU, the sooner you buy a new CPU, KSP-2 compatible.

20 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Nope.
It was... Kerbals.

No. My cute little CPU, will be saved from angry space frogs trying to destroy it. And I'm not gonna buy new PC, my PC is my PC and that's it.

I don't know, I liked the little poofs. It's an efficient way to scatter your Kerbals' ashes. I'd rather not have to deal with vacuuming up the fine green mist after crashes or recovering bodies, it seems a bit too morbid for a game rated E for Extreme Silliness. I wouldn't mind being able to recover and scrap wreckage (maybe generic broken or rusted-out tank models spawned in the general area you crashed?) for a chance to get some money back, though. The only crash-relates thing I really want is singular explosions based on part count instead of parts scattering like confetti and poofing once they hit something.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

4 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I don't know, I liked the little poofs. It's an efficient way to scatter your Kerbals' ashes. I'd rather not have to deal with vacuuming up the find green mist after crashes or recovering bodies, it seems a bit too morbid for a game rated E for Extreme Silliness. I wouldn't mind being able to recover and scrap wreckage (maybe generic broken or rusted-out tank models spawned in the general area you crashed?) for a chance to get some money back, though.

Uhmmm... So turns out, that everyone's opinion is very different. I don't have anything to say here right now. But I agree with your version too.

On 4/27/2021 at 7:57 AM, kerbiloid said:

Nope.
It was... Kerbals.

speaking of CPUs, ryzen 5600x gives whopping 33% shorter load times than 3600x .

RSS+RO+RP1+90 other mods.

2m45s vs 4m10s start to menu.

39s vs 65s - 259 parts MIR loading. 

£80 well spent ;)

Edited by ZAJC3W

27 minutes ago, ZAJC3W said:

speaking of CPUs, ryzen 5600x gives whopping 33% shorter load times than 3600x .

RSS+RO+RP1+90 other mods.

2m45s vs 4m10s start to menu.

39s vs 65s - 259 parts MIR loading. 

£80 well spent ;)

Now upgrade it for KSP-2.

56 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Now upgrade it for KSP-2.

given current development rate there will be ryzen 6000 about by the time we will see beta tests and ryzen 7000 when it gets released ;)
Yes I mean it will take another 3-4 years!!!

and intel will be still  pushing 14nm 500W comet lake rehashes lol

Edited by ZAJC3W

3 hours ago, ZAJC3W said:

and intel will be still  pushing 14nm 500W comet lake rehashes lol

No, intel will find a way to reverse the smallening of their transistors. 18mm, 600-watt Stupid Lake chips somehow still on the level of AMD.

• 2 weeks later...

Хотелось бы чтобы Кербалы больше походили на людей. Огурцы если честно раздражают уже.

I would like the Kerbals to be more like people. To be honest, cucumbers are already annoying. 

Edited by Vanamonde
Please post in English when not using the International subforums.

11 hours ago, Александр_ said:

Хотелось бы чтобы Кербалы больше походили на людей. Огурцы если честно раздражают уже.

Hey russian. Yes this is true, they also should have taller bodies with smaller space helmets. They would look like humans then.

Kerbals are just stumpy little green people that can do people things but are slightly better then people because they come in a much more optimized compact size which is more suitable for transportation and hugging.

Debris: Traditionally, KSP stuff just blows up. Even metal parts with no fuel kind of "poof" away to nothing if they hit past a certain speed. I know one of the devs said that we could harvest ships etc for building resources at colonies, so why shouldn't we be able to recover debris from failed launches?

Bodies: Many Kerbals will die. Do Kerbals "poof" away in KSP2? Do they leave remains? Maybe the remains are nothing more than a statue marker (kid friendly) of the lost Kerbal, and we can get some benefit or something from returning our heroes remains to Kerbin?

Waste: Do Kerbals poop? Do they shower? I don't recall anything having been said about it other than maybe they will require more resources to perform at their best. Can we turn Kerbal pellets into Kerbal chow?

Reproduction: I don't want to think about this. 

I'm particularly thinking about the bodies, given the amount of importance Humans give to the act of recovering remains. Do Kerbals care about such things, given how much they seem to care about rescuing the living Kerbals?

Debris: I mean we do that sorta in game already with the original KSP. Parts across the KSP will be recovered and possibly either sold for scrap. Probably not a great idea to repurpose those parts as they might be structurally compromised but hey these are kerbals who know.

Bodies: I mean Kerbals are organic. They have teeth, have organs capable of processing complex food and carbohydrates (they eat sandwiches), they have lungs as we see them speak and a rather cool complicated larynx at that. If they do end up getting injured they probably might end up turning into a fine red (or green, we don't know what Kerbal blood looks like) mist or pile of assorted viscera. We can't exactly show that though because the censors will break our legs again. I would totally be down seeing some sort of electronic marker to designate where a Kerbal died but most likely any remains would probably be cremated or even buried underground provided they're in an accessible area and it's viable enough to pick up their body. If they can't for whatever reason I'm sure they'll get upset over the fact just as we would in real life.

Waste: Kerbals eat. Kerbals poop. As for showers, all creatures technically clean themselves and I know people have used the argument that Kerbals don't have noses so they don't have a reason to shower but come on do we really shower just to smell nice?

Reproduction: Their are female Kerbals and are male Kerbals, biologically that means there is some form of interaction going on to produce a little Kerbling. It's probably the same way we do it just slightly goofier looking given the proportions. Maybe the difference between the Kerbal sexes are just skin deep and they're actually hermaphroditic or asexual and that whether you're male or female (as far as Kerbals go, we don't know if their are any cases of Non-Binary Kerbals) is just your preference although the different head shape might throw off that theory.

Who knows man, just head canon it like everyone else has been doing up until this point. Define your own reality

Edited by ArtemisAZ

2 minutes ago, ArtemisAZ said:

Kerbals are just stumpy little green people that can do people things but are slightly better then people because they come in a much more optimized compact size which is more suitable for transportation and hugging.

Debris: I mean we do that sorta in game already with the original KSP. Parts across the KSP will be recovered and possibly either sold for scrap. Probably not a great idea to repurpose those parts as they might be structurally compromised but hey these are kerbals who know.

Bodies: I mean Kerbals are organic. They have teeth, have organs capable of processing complex food and carbohydrates (they eat sandwiches), they have lungs as we see them speak and a rather cool complicated larynx at that. If they do end up getting injured they probably might end up turning into a fine red (or green, we don't know what Kerbal blood looks like) mist or pile of assorted viscera. We can't exactly show that though because the censors will break our legs again. I would totally be down seeing some sort of electronic marker to designate where a Kerbal died but most likely any remains would probably be cremated or even buried underground provided they're in an accessible area and it's viable enough to pick up their body. If they can't for whatever reason I'm sure they'll get upset over the fact just as we would in real life.

Waste: Kerbals eat. Kerbals poop. As for showers, all creatures technically clean themselves and I know people have used the argument that Kerbals don't have noses so they don't have a reason to shower but come on do we really shower just to smell nice?

Reproduction: Their are female Kerbals and are male Kerbals, biologically that means there is some form of interaction going on to produce a little Kerbling. It's probably the same way we do it just slightly goofier looking given the proportions. Maybe the difference between the Kerbal sexes are just skin deep and they're actually hermaphroditic or asexual and that whether you're male or female (as far as Kerbals go, we don't know if their are any cases of Non-Binary Kerbals) is just your preference although the different head shape might throw off that theory.

Who knows man, just head canon it like everyone else has been doing up until this point. Define your own reality

Very true and simple explanations. Even if Kerbals doesn't have nose, they breathe with their skin. Because I'm pretty sure they're plant-alike beings.

23 minutes ago, ShuttlePilot said:

Very true and simple explanations. Even if Kerbals doesn't have nose, they breathe with their skin. Because I'm pretty sure they're plant-alike beings.

Other then the green skin that could possibly be indicative of chlorophyll I don't exactly see what really throws up definitive proof that they would fall in the planet category rather then animal. Heck there are even animals that are showed to possess chlorophyll such as certain species of sea slug and plankton or some animals that utilize a symbiotic relationship with algae within their skin. It's cool stuff and I always kinda head canon'd this was the case with Kerbals integrating colonies of algae into their skin to take advantage of photosynthesis thus their slight green hue. Only problem would be that given the limited surface area of a Kerbal that would be exposed to sunlight at all times and the fact that they're a rather complicated creature relying on photosynthesis exclusively is a bad idea since you're missing out on a whole crap ton of key nutrients you need as well as it just not delivering all that much energy to you. Might explain why Kerbals also take snacks with them, nutrition and more calories. Perhaps they can survive in a state of near stasis using photosynthesis? This is not even bringing up the problem with water. 

Plus like I said they are implied (indirectly at least ) to possess complicated organ systems that you would typically find on animals. Eyes, tongues, problem solving abilities, self-perception, emotional responses, and overall cognition implying the existence of a nervous system and brain. Teeth implying the existence of a skeletal structure or at least a jaw / skull for the teeth to actually set within. It's kinda implied Kerbals have lungs we see them talk, inhale through their mouth, yawn and gasp. They just seem to have way too many aspects that would make them seem like animals rather then plants.

Edited by ArtemisAZ

7 minutes ago, ArtemisAZ said:

Other then the green skin that could possibly be indicative of chlorophyll I don't exactly see what really throws up definitive proof that they would fall in the planet category rather then animal. Heck there are even animals that are showed to possess chlorophyll such as certain species of sea slug and plankton or some animals that utilize a symbiotic relationship with algae within their skin. It's cool stuff and I always kinda head canon'd this was the case with Kerbals integrating colonies of algae into their skin to take advantage of photosynthesis thus their slight green hue. Only problem would be that given the limited surface area of a Kerbal that would be exposed to sunlight at all times and the fact that they're a rather complicated creature relying on photosynthesis exclusively is a bad idea since you're missing out on a whole crap ton of key nutrients you need as well as it just not delivering all that much energy to you. Might explain why Kerbals also take snacks with them, nutrition and more calories. Perhaps they can survive in a state of near stasis using photosynthesis? This is not even bringing up the problem with water. 

Plus like I said they are implied (indirectly at least ) to possess complicated organ systems that you would typically find on animals. Eyes, tongues, problem solving abilities, self-perception, emotional responses, and overall cognition implying the existence of a nervous system and brain. Teeth implying the existence of a skeletal structure or at least a jaw / skull for the teeth to actually set within. It's kinda implied Kerbals have lungs we see them talk, inhale through their mouth, yawn and gasp. They just seem to have way too many aspects that would make them seem like animals rather then plants.

You got the point, but you see, I did not mean that they are purely plants. I said that they are definately plant-alike beings. They're animals and plants in one. If they wouldn't have the animal, then they couldn't have eyes, mouth, legs, reproductive organs, arms, hair. They would just be plants. But I like that you always get the point and explain these things.