When can I re-download KSP?

jm_turbo

12 hours ago, JDTractorGuy said:

For everybody who has this issue, I sent a request to support asking if there was a way for me to be provided with an alternate download link, as well as the 1020 error.  This was the response:

So, not much new.....but that's from an email I received about 15 minutes ago.

I received the exact same email almost precisely at the same time as you did as a reply to my support ticket. 

On 5/3/2021 at 8:41 PM, KSPStar said:

Unfortunately we do not yet have an updated ETA on maintenance completion at this time. Our apologies for this continued inconvenience. If you are in need of assistance while these features are down, please reach out to our support team at [email protected]

Well, I did and what I got was: "Your account is unavailable for reasons we wont tell you and it will like this for an unknown period":mad:
Not really helping in any way to my need for assistance, which is: Please supply a download link for my files.

9 hours ago, KSPStar said:

Hello Wiborg, We understand your frustration. Know that the team is working hard to get everything back up as soon as possible. I have been updating this thread as I receive new information, and I will continue to do so as I receive updated information. 

So the team has no idea what has happened, planned maintenance gone wrong, breakdown, cyber attack or maybe Jeb has gained self-aware and is now using all the server powers in he's attempt of building a highly unstable craft to return to Kerbin :D

Please, when we are kept in the dark like this, we as humans starts to get crazy ideas and conspires starts evolving. 

All I ask here is some kind of link to download the files or at least an explanation to why it is not possible.

5 hours ago, dlrk said:

I'm totally baffled as to how TakeTwo can't simply email us zips of the current version.

One of my emails chokes on attachments over 10 MB, another on attachments over 25 MB.  Version 1.8.1 masses at 1,321 MB. The exact problem and potential solutions are left as an exercise for the reader.

That [aside], I look forward to the significant discount on KSP2 we'll all be getting....right?

Based on what customer service premise exactly?

Received at 1200EST today from support (nothing new):

I don't have an ETA at the moment, but the team is working hard to bring the service back online as soon as possible. We'll notify our players once we have more information to share or the service is back online. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know! 

On 5/4/2021 at 11:51 AM, Stone Blue said:

I guess people just dont know enuff to take advantage of the best part of the KSP Store, and hang onto those wonderful self-contained no-nonsense, DRM-free .zip files... ;)

The Steam download has DRM on it? I always was under the impression that it didn't, and copying it (to have a modded version , inoculated from unexpected updates) has worked flawless.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:02 AM, jm_turbo said:

Hi,

trying for 2 days now to log-in and download the game, but getting a site maintenance message :/ any idea when the site is available again ?

thanks

JM

Uh oh. 

Ok Everybody, let's all take a breath and step back for a moment.  

1: When I bought the 0.19 release we were promised free updates for life, so yes, there is a breach of trust here.

2: Compare this issue from the last 2 WEEKS against the support we have all received over the last nearly DECADE of service. No comparison right?

3: Steam Sucks, totally. That said, as annoying as their client is, downtime issues are rarer BECAUSE they're giant douches who only care about volume sales and not individual customer experience. You know who aren't giant douches? The guys who have been developing this game hand in hand with the players, modders, and forum posters.

4: KSP Star and others like him are Moderators of the Forum, not devs, managers, policy wonks, or Jeb. Don't pile on them for trying to help us, they're doing what they can with the information they get.

5: Lastly, again - everyone breathe. KSP has had some major issue with their website, but they assure us, and I believe them, when they say they're working as hard as they can to fix it. Just Breathe and it'll be over before you know it.

I can't login to the store and download either and on top of that my forum account is gone?? What is going on? I tried resetting my password but just get "We could not find a member account with that email address."

1 hour ago, Jacosg18 said:

Ok Everybody, let's all take a breath and step back for a moment.  

1: When I bought the 0.19 release we were promised free updates for life, so yes, there is a breach of trust here.

2: Compare this issue from the last 2 WEEKS against the support we have all received over the last nearly DECADE of service. No comparison right?

3: Steam Sucks, totally. That said, as annoying as their client is, downtime issues are rarer BECAUSE they're giant douches who only care about volume sales and not individual customer experience. You know who aren't giant douches? The guys who have been developing this game hand in hand with the players, modders, and forum posters.

4: KSP Star and others like him are Moderators of the Forum, not devs, managers, policy wonks, or Jeb. Don't pile on them for trying to help us, they're doing what they can with the information they get.

5: Lastly, again - everyone breathe. KSP has had some major issue with their website, but they assure us, and I believe them, when they say they're working as hard as they can to fix it. Just Breathe and it'll be over before you know it.

1: Breach of trust is (as mentioned before) very damaging to any company.

2: I always compare a company, not on the number of errors made, but the support handling when an error/issue actually occurs. This is the first time I have ever had the need for support in connection with KSP and I am not impressed.

3: Fully agree, there will always be difference in large and small companies on downtime etc. But the actual downtime is not the issue here (at least for me personally), the issue is lack of information and support attempts to solve a users issues.

4. A wise man once said, "If you have nothing to say, don't speak". One thing is that forum moderators don't have the information, that's understandable. But I would imagine the support team to have more information or possibilities to assist, other then "No information, no background, no help, sorry."

5. Could we at least have an answer to what has happened? Why is it not possible to f. example send a download link via file share to users who write support and asks for assistance (I can't be that many of us who hasn't got the files stored ourselves) 

5. Two words, IP Leak. Okay maybe that's three.  But there are other aspects that make it more problematic then the proposed zeroth approximation seems to indicate. So let's break it down.
- Which file share service? What accounts to they use? If you don't have one you'll have to make one. And then how do they figure out if the acount that is created is the one that should have access?
- Cost. Cause this ain't gonna be free for them. Google's file share, for example, will cap out at around 500 downloads of the current version of KSP. At least for the personal use. Paid service might be higher, but I'm not finding those numbers quickly.  And it will be just a little bit more than 19.95$ a month.
- Yeah there's a "free"-er option.  They just grab that old laptop out of the corner, drop in Apache, lift the user name and password db over, chuck it in the router's DMZ, and Robert is your mother's brother. Except to do that they need to take somebody off of fixing the problem. And depending on available resources it can slow to halt the fix.  Just hire someone? See previous point. 
- As for what happened. It doesn't matter. Server down. Ain't nothing we can do, but like good little boys, girls, and kerb-itos,  sit on our hands and wait.

4. Yeah. I used to imagine that too. I also used to imagine that those call centers look like those nice stock photos you see on that der' internet thang. And there was free coffee, tea, and soda, and a pony. Reality is that customer support is treated like mushrooms and handcuffed, at the best of times, by corporate policy.  If they're lucky it's an e-mail each morning that consists of "Yeah, it's still broken. No, we don't known when it'll be fixed. Stop bugging us." As for alternatives, all other recommendations are sealed, and require authorization of [expunged] for individual release.

3.  Issue: Server down. Fix: Server up. Well a very simplistic statement of the issue and the fix. But it gets the point across. Not much else that can be done to address the issue.
-As for information, if there was more We. Would. Have. It. It's really that simple. Bugging KSPStar, et al. won't get it any faster. And will slow the process of recovery. Cause he/she will have to wonder over and ask. They'll have to stop what they're doing, answer, and go back to work. Many studies have shown that each mental shift in task costs about fifteen minutes of productivity. That will be on top of how every long it takes to answer the question in a work place suitable format.
-The last time I had to deal with a similar situation, the server guy missed the DG's ear with the screwdriver from 15 meters away.

2.  Get used to it, expect it. There are good agents out there, and better companies at it. But, the vast majority of customer service agents are making just above minimum wage, and could take a pay cut, sling coffee and burgers, and catch one third of the [redacted] that they have to take working as a customer service agent. The first half life for a customer service agent is ninety days from first call. The second is six months from first call. The third is one year from first call.  You can expect to hire roughly the entire staff every eighteen months. The entire group is seen by the vast majority of companies as a cost sink to be reduced as much as possible. 

1. Has there been? IANAL, but the test of such a claim is "would the average reasonable person". Say at my bodega I buy the "One Can of Cherry Sodainski a day for life" embossed laminated card. Great. Every morning I head on down grab my ice cold can of Cherry Sodainski, plop it on the counter with the card. Everything's fine until one morning, five years later, the Cherry Sodainski slot in the rack is empty.  The guy behind the counter says the company stopped making it. He comps me a Coke, and I head off disappointed. Has there been a breach of trust here?

Edited by steuben

12 hours ago, Kerbart said:

The Steam download has DRM on it? I always was under the impression that it didn't, and copying it (to have a modded version , inoculated from unexpected updates) has worked flawless.

No... Steam does NOT have DRM.... but IMHO, that just means Steam is even more of an uneccesary "middle-man"

7 hours ago, Jacosg18 said:

I agree with everything you said...
i do want to just add, tho, about #4... Thats the thing with any type of Customer Service position, tho... CS people, are literally the face of the company, and the direct link to customers... Irate customers comes with the job...
*THAT* being said tho, its no excuse for not being civil to them, and remembering while they are the face of the company, and who you need to "unload" on, always keep it professional and civil.. They are people too, at the bottom end of a corporate entity, and usually work for minimum wage, and just have a job to do

If I am really hot & upset on a customer service call, I always make it a poinnt to tell the rep, that its not them I am upset with, and its not personal, and that I, and them, must realise they are the face of the company, and if I have to unload on them, I apologize to them, but tell them to just pass my ire up the chain, and its meant for the higher ups who make the decisions/policies/screw-ups/whatever

Edited by Stone Blue

8 hours ago, new_magz said:

I can't login to the store and download either and on top of that my forum account is gone?? What is going on? I tried resetting my password but just get "We could not find a member account with that email address."

See KSPStar's post above this one and contact Squad support. 

27 minutes ago, razark said:

A short little "We have had a minor security breach and are working to resolve it" notice wouldn't have been too much to give us?

You generally don't know the scope of a security breach until you can confirm you have fully resolved it. It is better to not say anything (publicly) until you know for sure.

Since we have an official announcement about what happened, perhaps it's best we continue any discussion on the subject over there so we don't have unnecessary repetitions :)

Please feel welcome to talking about this over here: