When can I re-download KSP?

jm_turbo

I'm looking to redownload KSP from the store, but it seems to be under indefinite maintenance. Any info when that will be completed, or can I somehow transfer my store KSP to steam in the mean time?

It seems that it has been down at least since Friday. I sent an e-mail to support yesterday and I'm hoping they'll have time to answer soon. (or preferably, finish their maintenance)

58 minutes ago, dlrk said:

I'm looking to redownload KSP from the store, but it seems to be under indefinite maintenance. Any info when that will be completed, or can I somehow transfer my store KSP to steam in the mean time?

Hello! Our apologies for the inconvenience. I do not have an exact ETA on when the store will be back up at this time, but it is planned to be back up early this week.

As for the transfer question, unfortunately it is not possible to migrate from the store to Steam, or vice versa. If you buy the game via the store, it will only be accessible via the store. 

2 minutes ago, KSPStar said:

Hello! Our apologies for the inconvenience. I do not have an exact ETA on when the store will be back up at this time, but it is planned to be back up early this week.

It's not just the store, we can't even log into our accounts.  

5 hours ago, KSPStar said:

As for the transfer question, unfortunately it is not possible to migrate from the store to Steam, or vice versa. If you buy the game via the store, it will only be accessible via the store. 

So, I have no way to download KSP right now? Which I paid for, tested in early access, etc. Does that seem OK?

This is totally unacceptable.

20 minutes ago, dlrk said:

So, I have no way to download KSP right now? Which I paid for, tested in early access, etc. Does that seem OK?

You downloaded it at least once, right?  And you expect them to just keep it around, and they cant even do maintenance on the site, for whatever reason, just to keep you happy?

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You downloaded it at least once, right?  And you expect them to just keep it around, and they cant even do maintenance on the site, for whatever reason, just to keep you happy?

I mean, you know as well as anyone that a web storefront shouldn't require week long maintenance. But yes, I expect that KSP be available to people who purchase it

27 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That's a fair point. Still, it would have been trivial to put up a bare-bones login area to enable people to still download the game while they work on the site.
While for me, personally, it's not a huge deal since I also have the game on Steam, I still kind of agree with dlrk.
What if their computer died and they lost all their backups?

48 minutes ago, atliax said:

That's a fair point. Still, it would have been trivial to put up a bare-bones login area to enable people to still download the game while they work on the site.
While for me, personally, it's not a huge deal since I also have the game on Steam, I still kind of agree with dlrk.
What if their computer died and they lost all their backups?

Not really.  You have to worry about security, logins, protecting customer information.  It's actually rather complicated, and trying to do something quick n dirty is usually asking for trouble.

It's a game.  Your life does NOT depend on it.  Go outside for a while, play another game.  Lots of things to do while they fix their issues

58 minutes ago, dlrk said:

I mean, you know as well as anyone that a web storefront shouldn't require week long maintenance. But yes, I expect that KSP be available to people who purchase it

Depending on what's going on, it can.   I'm not there, you aren't there.  Do you have any experience with this?  I have with other things. What about setting up secure channels for CC access, VPN access, etc?  Without knowing what's going on, you can't comment because you JUST DON'T KNOW!

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not really.  You have to worry about security, logins, protecting customer information.  It's actually rather complicated, and trying to do something quick n dirty is usually asking for trouble.

It's a game.  Your life does NOT depend on it.  Go outside for a while, play another game.  Lots of things to do while they fix their issues

I didn't mean "quick n dirty". Maybe trivial wasn't the best word to use, but things can be done bare-bones and still be done properly.
Some companies even have things like that ready to deploy in case of emergencies. (which is more what I meant, not throwing something together last minute)

Otherwise I agree with everything you said. Especially the part about us not being there, so we can't really comment on what they should or shouldn't be doing. I guess I'm just thinking about this in a "it would have been nice" kind of way.

They'll get it back up eventually :)

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Depending on what's going on, it can.   I'm not there, you aren't there.  Do you have any experience with this?  I have with other things. What about setting up secure channels for CC access, VPN access, etc?  Without knowing what's going on, you can't comment because you JUST DON'T KNOW!

I mean, I'm in grad school full time and I've got two jobs, yeah I've got lots of stuff to do. Ideally, I'd like to play a game I paid for as well. Anyway, it's not like this is Squad anymore. It's the behemoth of TakeTwo Interactive. I'm confident that they could get this done.

4 hours ago, dlrk said:

I mean, I'm in grad school full time and I've got two jobs, yeah I've got lots of stuff to do. Ideally, I'd like to play a game I paid for as well. Anyway, it's not like this is Squad anymore. It's the behemoth of TakeTwo Interactive. I'm confident that they could get this done.

But you DID already download it, right?  It's not their fault that you deleted it from your disk.  While most if not all game companies keep their games available for download at all times, they aren't required to.  You purchased, they provided the download at the time.  This is now a later time, and while it sucks that you need to redownload it again while they are in the middle of a site revamp, they haven't done anything wrong.  While I don't know what they are doing, my guess is that they may be revamping and merging the site with the main Private Division site, and that can take some time to get done right, depending on what they need to do.  For example, merging the customer list into the new site is not a trivial job, two different databases, different fields, etc.

Be patient, and it will be available soon

8 hours ago, atliax said:

I didn't mean "quick n dirty". Maybe trivial wasn't the best word to use, but things can be done bare-bones and still be done properly.
Some companies even have things like that ready to deploy in case of emergencies. (which is more what I meant, not throwing something together last minute)

I agree, with proper planning this outage could have been avoided.  But, for example, if they ARE merging customer lists, then having the old site running AND making sales while merging the list into the new site could simply create additional problems.

Again, without knowing what's exactly going on, all we can do is guess.

15 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Yeah, but steam isnt perfect and they also take a cut, while when you buy off the KSP store the devs get it all. 

Plus, no need to create a new Steam account just to get KSP... :P

Or, deal with the, IMHO, absolute torture that dealing with the Steam launcher/webinterface, etc...

11 hours ago, dlrk said:

I initially felt the same when I saw first saw the current state of the new website...
But, *they havent finished it yet*** .... so its fine to be worried & concerned, but hold judgement till they are done with it...

I just checked this AM, and indeed, it has changed quite a bit, and looks much lie it did, and the big ole "Account" button for login in the top right, is back...

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

"Prepping the launch site" wonder if for 1.12 or something even bigger :D

I had that fleeting thought too... but then I figured it was the KSP equivalent of this:

giphy.gif