KSP Visual Calculator

Blaarkies

On 12/26/2021 at 6:24 PM, Blaarkies said:

For the delta-v total, have a look at the bottom of the Mission Checkpoints panel. That counts up the total dv for the entire mission, considering things like aerobraking, margin of error, etc.

I am having some difficulties here. Below the last checkpoint there is some empty space and then the 'Checkpoint mode | add new checkpoint' buttons. I am using Firefox 95.0.2 if that could be relevant.

UZUfvsx.png

31 minutes ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

Firefox 95.0.2 

Oh my, it is not supposed to look like that at all :o

This is what it looks like on Chrome

uc?id=1bSrPfqny6xDzfSRrgMmI49Nu4ehCSd35&

I will check that out soon and see whats up with it. I can't think of a simple work around at the moment to use it in Firefox in this state

Version 1.2.3

• Fixes
    • Mission Checkpoints panel and Focus Jumper panel did not display properly on Firefox browser

If you run into any issues, or have great ideas, please let me know ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.2.4

• Theme
    • Dark-mode; on which side of the fence for dark/light theme are you? doesn't matter, you can now select the one you prefer
      • It will automatically detect your browser preference, but you can tap the sun/moon icon in the top left to switch it per device
    • Improved some theme aspects and layout across the whole site  
    • Moved the Tutorial button to the lower-left orange panel; that panel is contextual to whichever page is active, just like the tutorial is
  • Introduction Page
    • This is some article content to provide background about how Delta-v and CommNets work; it will be useful for new players
    • It helps the website with Search Engine Optimization; it should help to increase the number of users
  • Fixes
    • Split the website's internal structure to allow faster loading
    • Removed dodgy ad network; the types of things showing up there was never what I signed up for
  • URL Routes
    • You might notice they now add '/calculators' as part of the route to the dv-planner or signal-check  
      • Don't worry about the old routes/links you bookmarked, they will still function as if nothing changed
    • This proper route structure allows for faster site loading, and prepares a foundation for more future improvements

If you run into any issues, or have great ideas, please let me know ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, this looks like it will be really useful but sadly couldn't use the app on my mobile as part of the screen wasn't resized to my mobile device. Is this supposed to be only used on desktops or tablets? 

Great work all the same :cool:

Hi @Ande, sorry about that issue. The website is definitely made to support tablets and phones as well. I did most of my hands-on testing with a Pixel 2, and that tiny screen made the calculator quite constrained but still manageable.

The off-screen issue is something I have only seen on a friend's phone, I couldn't replicate it on my local development environment, so it was hard to track down the root cause of the issue. I'm speculating that it might be some scaling feature, but haven't been able to test it out.

For now, a workaround might be to try landscape mode. The website is designed to work on a "sideways" phone screen as well. Now, if you are up for it, I would greatly appreciate it if you can put some screenshots and details in the github issue tracker (https://github.com/Blaarkies/ksp-visual-calculator/issues/new).

Thanks for the feedback :D

• 10 months later...

Version 1.2.6

• Performance optimizations
    • Reworked the camera system to improve the speed of view reaction when zooming/panning around the universe; the browser's CSS engine does most of that heavy lifting now
    • Replaced image assets with better compressed versions; this reduces the initial loading time
    • Savegame compression; storing these as compressed bytes reduces the data size throughout the system, like less network transfer, and less storage costs

If you run into any issues, or have great ideas, please let me know :wink:

• 1 month later...

Version 1.2.7

• Maintenance
    • Updated and upgraded dependency libraries; going forward will be smooth sailing now
    • Some updates promise smaller network packet sizes that lead to faster web page load; time will tell
    • Visuals changed slightly to fit the new updated library designs; confirmed that kerbals are still green
  • Fixes
    • Delta-v mission checkpoints overlapped with multiples on the same planet, leading to unreadable index numbers

and Happy Free KSP Week! :D

Make sure to share it with friends and family, this festive season is a long one:science:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice little tool. Very handy.  I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee, but I'm not about to put a CC number into an unfamiliar system. Any chance of you accepting Paypal, Google Pay, Venmo, etc?

Also, from a technical standpoint, is there a way to indicate that an orbit in the Commsat tool is a polar orbit?

-K

• 1 month later...

Version 1.3.0

• New Calculator - ISRU Heat & Power Calculator (beta)
    • How many heat radiators do you need for this many drills and that ISRU again? :huh:
      • Just add a few parts to the system, and see the outputs calculated to verify your ideas
        • Outputs show the total production and consumption for each resource
    • Adjust the engineer skill level, ore concentration, and planet to see the effects on outputs
    • Turn ISRUs on/off for specific resources to test what your mining base will be capable of
    • Get common warnings about potential issues (Forgot to add the ore tank, again?:/)
    • The idea with this is for players to quickly test out ideas, before committing to launching motherships to orbit
    • https://ksp-visual-calculator.blaarkies.com/pocket-calculators

• This is marked as a beta released, because all values have not been verified by in-game tests. The few tests I ran had the correct results, but I cannot in good conscience let your Kerbals become stranded from my mistakes. 
      • Please be careful 
    • Only desktop layout is supported at the moment, plans for mobile/tablet in the future
      • Tested on chrome and firefox browsers
    • Details won't carry over across sessions in user accounts yet (like how the dv/commnet calculator does), future plans to add this

• For devs - KSP part.cfg extractor app
    • Typescript NodeJS app that reads game files and parses them into JSON objects
    • This lets you quickly create asset lists (like the mining-parts.json list used by the above calculator)
    • Easy to extract large amounts of information from part files
    • Someday I might make this an npm library for parsing savegame files as well

I appreciate every bit of feedback on this, good and bad, please keep them coming

On 1/20/2023 at 12:17 AM, Professor K said:

Nice little tool. Very handy.  I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee, but I'm not about to put a CC number into an unfamiliar system. Any chance of you accepting Paypal, Google Pay, Venmo, etc?

Also, from a technical standpoint, is there a way to indicate that an orbit in the Commsat tool is a polar orbit?

Sorry I seemed to have missed the notification for this, for quite a while :blush:

Yeah sure, buy-me-a-coffee works quite well and I have not found issues in the last 3 years. But no one should believe a stranger on the internet anyways, so it won't change by me vouching for them :joy: I appreciate the support without the coffee already, but if you really want to, DM me and we can figure out a good alternative instead

The Commsat tool was built on a 2d foundation to simplify things, so unfortunately a polar orbit option would require quite a lot of upgrades to function correctly. I figured that even the bad inclination between Bop and Pol wasn't too much for a 2d model, so the rest of the Kerbol system would still be very accurate.

Perhaps this is a good idea for the new smaller calculators feature. Can you tell me more about the issue being solved?

Edited by Blaarkies

• 4 months later...

Version 1.3.1

• ISRU Mining Station Calculator release

• A planner to verify mining base designs

• It shows warnings for typical issues you can expect based on the part selection list for the craft

• Support for savegames; changes are auto-saved. You can log in later and continue where you left off, or continue on a different device

• Support for mobile/tablet layouts

• Better part selector menu; uses collapsible sections to better display the 70+ available parts

• Improvements

• Delta-v panel minimize button; Mobile users get some more screen space

• Reorder checkpoints in the delta-v panel; Activate reorder mode, drag the checkpoint

• Reset button in the orange menu; It clears all changes on the page

• Moved FAQ to the orange menu

• Moved Tutorial option into the orange menu

• Moved light/dark theme toggle to Account Details screen

• General mobile layout fixes on screens that seemed a bit tight

• Tutorial visuals made clearer

• Better popup control; No more signup popups while you are busy dragging a craft 

• For devs

• Main project code base refactored

• No changes should be visible to the user, as long as I did this correctly

• Reworked the structure of code modules; It is now simpler to build and improve with new features

• This initial app started out as just a tiny project, it was only concerned with CommNets. Recent feature additions have been straining the old structure with more complexity. It was time to fix this

• KSP Parts Detail Extractor app

• Converts the SFS format into JSON

• KSP uses this format in part files, savegames, craft files, etc.

• This let me easily extract all the Mining Station parts

• Added a new parser using PEGJS; This could potentially make it possible to read in real 'persistent.sfs' files into the app

• You can find this in the link if want to try it out

I appreciate all feedback. Good and bad, please reach out with what you have found

Edited by Blaarkies

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Version 1.3.2

• CommNet Remote Guidance

• Adds a ‘No Connection’ indicator to craft that have no control through a CommNet signal

• At a glance, spot any craft that require attention due to a missing relay antenna, or an inadequate network

• Implements the Probe Control Point mechanics; these let you setup piloted remote control stations and bases, without a signal back to Kerbin

• New parts in the antennae list:

• RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit

• RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit

• Mk1-3 Command Pod

• Mk2 Lander Can

• Munar Excursion Module (Making History)

• These parts have a ‘Single-Hop’ functionality, except for the ‘RC-L01’ which has ‘Multi-Hop’ capability:

• Multi-Hop can control other craft if a relay connection is present from the pilot station to the other craft, even if it needs multiple relay satellites between them

• Single-Hop can also control other craft, but only in the first link of the signal chain

• Add these parts to a craft’s antennae list to have remote guidance capability onboard

• Improvements

• Add a Preferences dialog in the blue menu; this can set light/dark theme without a login, or hide the holiday decorations if they get too distracting

• Fix craft icon-and-edit-button layout; this prevents accidental ‘edit’ button taps while dragging space objects around

• Allow ‘undo’ after deleting a savegame

• Save camera position and zoom in savegames; now loading (or importing) a savegame will adjust the camera to where it was intended by the author

• Bug fixes

• Savegame json files that were exported from older versions of the website can now be imported into any new version

• Kerbin occasionally had the wrong level of tracking station by default; It now starts with ‘Tracking Station 1’ on new starts

I tested some variations of the new connection types to verify my remote control results against the in-game situations. But with the multitude of control points, antennae, relay craft, and combinations thereof, I could have likely missed a few cases.

If you run into those situations, please let me know.

• 1 month later...

Version 1.3.3

• Improvements

• Copy a craft; When editing a craft, click the 'Copy' button to transfer all details to a brand-new craft

•  Fine-tune an existing craft's location with pre-filled 'Advanced Placement' options in the edit craft dialog; These let you create/move a craft to a specific location, i.e. around Minmus, at altitude 69420m, at orbit location 45°.

• The new angle-input makes this even more intuitive

• The planet in focus is now highlighted in the focus panel

• Smoother camera animations

• Bug fixes

• Missing Zoom Indicator element on the CommNet Planner page

• Tab presses on dialogs caused the planet focus selection to trigger

• Dev

• New library for unit-tests and end-to-end tests; Helps prevent regressions such as the missing Zoom Indicator

• Upgrade to Angular 17

• Test validation on automatic deployments