Will the community abandon KSP 1 after KSP 2?

wpetula

There are people around still playing years-old versions of KSP because they like particular mods that don’t work in later versions (for example); sure, KSP2 will be big and shiny and new and all, but it’ll take time before mods become available for it and for the inevitable post-release bugs to be exterminated. I don’t expect KSP to go anywhere- indeed, the developers have said it’ll still be worked on for some time yet- and while some people will move to KSP2 and never look back I expect many (including me, most likely) to play both, and some just won’t play KSP2 at all.

31 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

There will always be some core group of players that stick with KSP for some reason.  

I'll probably play KSP2 but keep KSP around for nostalgia. Maybe once in a while I'll boot up KSP and think, "It used to look like this!?"

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

There will always be some core group of players that stick with KSP for some reason.  

This. All successful games that I am aware of always have a following of some kind. Even many years later.

As faras the community goes, I can only speak for myself and agree with @Kerminator K-100

I think once we get a taste of the sweet, sweet KSP2, KSP1 will seem like a bitter lemon by comparison. I think it will look better, be virtually bug-free (:joy: , no but yes i do), have all the bits and pieces we love about this one in a more polished, expansive package.

Assuming it can be modded as promised and not designed for "babies" who need handholding in every part of the game, there'll be a whole range of new and wonderful things being released by modders (and the Dev Team of course) using new techniques and technologies that will eventually see new KSP1 mods no longer being made/updated etc.

Of course there'll be the "old skoolers" as there is with any game who don't use mods, like using Wine or don't like change etc or just prefer the older version as is their prerogative of course. Me personally, the only older version of a game I've gone back to is Dawn Of War (the second one was dreadful). 

4 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

I think once we get a taste of the sweet, sweet KSP2, KSP1 will seem like a bitter lemon by comparison. I think it will look better, be virtually bug-free (:joy: , no but yes i do), have all the bits and pieces we love about this one in a more polished, expansive package.

I like that optimism! Sure we know the realities of company politics, vs work flow, vs time to deploy, vs new additions, etc etc... but hey, no harm in hope right?

I’m going to KSP2, but I feel that lots will stuck with the original KSP 1 game. I switched from  x plane 11 to Microsoft flight simulator 2020 but sometimes I will go to x plane 11 because of the free 737-800, which MSFS2020 dose not have.

I don't think they will completely.  I expect many, if not most players, will switch over though.

I have a feeling that the two 'games' will be different enough in 'focus', and have a different enough feel, to carry on in parallel for quite a while.

KSP1 will most likely cease development at some point, but I bet some will still play it.

No.

Enjoy what we have now, and if it finally releases then we go from there, I likely will play both.

I'll be the voice that gets slammed, but until it actually hits, KSP2 is vaporware.

I dont think i'll entirely move to ksp 2 early. I'll play it some, see it's limitations and potential, then gradually switch to it, till then i'll stick with my own ksp 1 version, which is quite customized atm.

21 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

This forum is still pretty active and you can grab the game in question here, yet its successor was released over 15 years ago.

I don't think KSP1 is in any danger of falling into oblivion.

I actually have Civ3 and Civ4 installed (using Wine) and they are still a fun way to spend some evenings.

On 4/28/2021 at 5:56 PM, FruitGoose said:

like using Wine

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

using Wine

:ph34r:

* actually it’s native so doesn’t need Wine :)

Despite the similarities, I think they are different enough to both retain relevance.  Likely the career folks will be the ones who switch and don't look back. For the sandboxers, I think they will both have a role to play.

I see myself having a lot of fun building bases in KSP2, something I don't do at all in this version.

But I cannot see me abandoning KSP1 unless and until there is a Breaking Ground equivalent.   KSP1 will still be the go to for copters, contraptions and crazy robotic engineering for the sandbox crowd.  When I can build a Frog in KSP2 .... then we will see.

https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Aristophanes-the-Frog

mfscjyk.png

Edited by Klapaucius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.