Will the community abandon KSP 1 after KSP 2?

wpetula

I feel like KSP 1 will always have players, including me. Of course, it will hugely depend on KSP 2 but personally, this game is kinda my childhood and will always stay close to my heart (especially KSP 1.0.5, because that was the version I first purchased the game. :) )

I'd say that it depends how good KSP2 is.

If it manages to be KSP2 and still KSP, then KSP is dead.

However, judging by many other games, the successors hasn't always managed to woo all the fans of the original.

Just speaking from my own experience I can say that Civ3, Civ4, Civ5 (and some rabid Civ I or II, the only properCiv!) fans tend to diagree about almost everything.

And so I think will be with KSP and KSP2 ;)

5 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Just speaking from my own experience I can say that Civ3, Civ4, Civ5 (and some rabid Civ I or II, the only properCiv!) fans tend to diagree about almost everything.

And so I think will be with KSP and KSP2 ;)

While I don't agree with the first statement (Civ III and Alpha Centauri for me :sticktongue:) I can agree with believing KSP and KSP2 will follow a similar path where fans devotions are concerned, especially if they turn it into a long running series of sequels.

I don´t think it will abandoned completeley. Yes, many people will switch but some will stay. And the switch to KSP 2 will take a loooooong time, because of 1 thing: KSP 1´s modding community and the thousands of mods they created.  This evolved over years and converting them to KSP 2 and making new ones will take time. For me it will be like this for the first Months 1-2 years: I will check out the new KSP in it´s stock version while i will still play the first one with all my beloved mods like BDB, Kerbalism, Mechjeb etc.

I'm gonna stay with KSP 1 mainly because of the sheer state of disarray my PC is in after a small problem. 

But once it's fixed I will play KSP 2 too (heh rhyme). However KSP 1 will always hold a special place in our heart as I like to believe as for many, it was the thing that interested them in these fields of science and maths for the first time.

On 4/27/2021 at 1:55 PM, wpetula said:

So, will the community abandon KSP 1 in favor of the sequel?

KSP 1.3.1 is still my most played version, and game overall, bar none. Despite its own quirks. Despite missing -by now- a good number of stock QoL improvements, features, and DLC. Despite most mods having abandoned it. I think it's pretty safe to say people will still keep playing KSP long after KSP2 has come out. Besides, just two people talking about it, sharing craft and screenshots and video and challenges, constitutes a community; 'community' isn't just what the majority plays or the media talks about.

Additionally, from what I read in the forums I gather that a lot of players are still on hardware that struggles to get good performance from KSP. Fundamentally rewriting KSP2's code will help some with that, but on the other hand all the new fancy graphics and parts and play they're hinting at is likely to have higher hardware requirements anyway. There's going to be a sizeable group of people that will have to 'settle' for KSP, for at least some time to come.

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

Well I doubt I can run KSP2 with my PC so I'm stuck with KSP1 for now.

There will be a decent chance that KSP 2 will run ok on older PCs.  They claimed to have solved the physics problems which plagues KSP 1

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

There will be a decent chance that KSP 2 will run ok on older PCs.  They claimed to have solved the physics problems which plagues KSP 1

I don't know much about gamming so sorry if this sounds stupid but that means the lag right?

4 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

I don't know much about gamming so sorry if this sounds stupid but that means the lag right?

Yes.  Lag is caused by large ships with many parts, physics is caused by physics being calculated for each part.  And that is before mods

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Just now, Single stage to ocean said:

Surely some KSP modder will hack KSP 1 to interface with KSP 2 if you download it, and it has all parts of KSP 2 as well as multiplayer. Pretty far fetched, but

Not going to happen.  Not compatible in the slightest way

On 4/27/2021 at 5:55 AM, wpetula said:

Obviously, KSP 2 is going to be more expansive and beautiful than KSP 1. So, will the community abandon KSP 1 in favor of the sequel? 

My answer is, probably. But I really don't know yet, a lot could change in a year.

On that note, I would still play KSP if I was going to do RSS forever

No way. unless i see new mods, and more things to do, ksp1 for life.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:11 PM, Stormpilot said:

I’m going to KSP2, but I feel that lots will stuck with the original KSP 1 game. I switched from  x plane 11 to Microsoft flight simulator 2020 but sometimes I will go to x plane 11 because of the free 737-800, which MSFS2020 dose not have.

I'm Still an XP11 guy lol.

(probably because i'm more of a mobile XP11 player.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.