How will colony population work?

By this I mean will we have to tediously load hundreds, maybe thousands of Kerbals into ships to take them to distant star systems? Or will there be a separate "colonist" type of Kerbal that you can load in bulk, and "normal" Kerbals will only be needed for a relatively small caretaker crew?

What do you think?

Of course, this question would cross over with the question of whether colonies will be able to populate themselves (will Kerbals be able to reproduce?). My question probably doesn't matter for a bare minimum colony (loading Kerbals one by one would work) but for cases where players want to build massive colonies it would matter (in the event Kerbals don't reproduce).

Kerbals do reproduce. I would expect that passenger transport plays a bigger role in KSP2 anyway as you will likely want to move pops between colonies.

The devs have said there will be "boom events"  that will cause an increase of population at a colony. We were not given specifics as to what causes the events. 

In short, kerbals will reproduce, not based on time, but based on how you have built your colony

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Plot twist: boom events are literal. A Kerbal explodes into many little Kerblings.

:joy: I'm thinking more like Gremlins. They have little pods that pop off them and turn into Kerblins after a little while.