Aldrin*

Schweickart

Anders

Schmitt*

Mattingly

Swigert

Haise

Duke*

With Collins' passing the list of people who have been beyond LEO is down to 12/24. I hope all these guys live to see us land again. Time is getting tight. The youngest, Anders, is 83.

Guest The Doodling Astronaut2
2 minutes ago, tater said:

Michael Collins was the only human (living or dead) not in this picture at the time it was taken by him:

Imagine if you where the only person not in this photo. Imagine that all 7.5 billion people where in this photo except you. That's crazy to think about isn't it.

I got very emotional about Collin's passing, he was one of my favorite apollo astronauts and was one of the first ones I followed on twitter :( 

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:
1 hour ago, tater said:

Imagine if you where the only person not in this photo. Imagine that all 7.5 billion people where in this photo except you. That's crazy to think about isn't it.

IIRC, The count at the time was 10-12 billion, if you go with the living or dead part.  The 4-5 billion alive at the time, and the 5-6 billion dead.    Numbers are off a bit, but you get the idea.   

RIP 

(and yes, if we want to go down that street about the numbers, let’s do it In another thread.). 

9 hours ago, tater said:

From interviews I have seen, he seemed like a kind, thoughtful man. I would have liked to have met him.

the only Apollo 11 astronaut who we still can meet is Buzz Aldrin, I hope someone on the forums can speak to him

17 hours ago, Gargamel said:

IIRC, The count at the time was 10-12 billion, if you go with the living or dead part.  The 4-5 billion alive at the time, and the 5-6 billion dead.    Numbers are off a bit, but you get the idea.   

RIP 

(and yes, if we want to go down that street about the numbers, let’s do it In another thread.). 

Estimate for numbers of dead humans is almost 20x higher. As in numbers of "humans" lived, not number of tombstones or skeletons who is more like your number :)

We should take action and change the name of the Lunar Gateway to Collins Lunar Gateway. I feel that it is fitting for what he did and what the station plans to do. Act now: https://www.change.org/p/nasa-rename-the-lunar-gateway-to-collins-lunar-gateway-in-memory-of-michael-collins

:(  He died of Cancer.

Michael Collins was a historical hero. A hero that orbited the Moon.  He was part stayed up in space and heard Neil step on the Moon. He was a overachiever in spaceflight. Today, we remember as a hero of space travel. He wasnt just a man who orbited the moon. He is now more. Rest in Peace Michael Collins. May he rest in the stars.

Edited by Dr. Kerbal
Grieving.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.