Life On Laythe science mission

5 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

1.  The use of the airlock is brilliant.  And very Kerbal, I am imagining Jeb floating in the airlock for 20 years.  However it is not actually a pressurized seat as stated in the rules.  It is so clever though, I will avoid being pedantic, and allow it.

He's not really floating in there for 20 years. Jeb starts by sitting in the return vehicle's command pod and Bill starts in the Laythe lander. After the Laythe ascent I throw away the Laythe lander's command pod and then Jeb crawls into the airlock.

Maybe he has a folding chair in there, otherwise it wouldn't be very comfy. But it is pressurized - it has to be, otherwise it wouldn't be inflated. Additionally in your clarification you specified "no command chairs."

2.  I have tested your craft re-entry at both Laythe and Kerbin with modest velocities (<3 km/s)  and spinning etc, yet the craft explode every time.  What am I missing?  Can you please check you have the default setting for re-entry heating of 100%, you may have changed it in a previous game and forgotten to reset it.  Or advise your re-entry speeds and altitudes, and I will check again.

It's possible that I had set reentry heating to less than 100%. However I did try to do as gentle of an aerobrake as I could (My Laythe periapsis was only 5 km into the atmosphere) and tried to do low relative velocity encounters hence the Kerbin and Eve assists to get back. So maybe that's the difference.

If it's necessary, I can try to re-fly the Laythe and Kerbin entries using a more aggressive gravity assist route for easier aerobraking, and then I could show you the heights and entry velocities.

Additionally the crafts aren't put together in the way they look. They both take advantage of node occlusion and part inlining (No clipping however) in order to reduce drag cubes which also reduces heating.

Edit: I looked back at my screenshots and my Laythe aerobrake does show 100% reentry heat with 45.4 km periapsis and 2387 m/s velocity. Laythe orbital velocity as shown in the screenshots is 1793 m/s and it takes about 600 m/s to escape Laythe which implies a minimum aerobrake speed of 2393 m/s - this is reasonable as I am passing periapsis in the screenshot and have bled off a bit of speed. So the Laythe aerobrake seems to check out. If you aren't convinced then I can re-fly the aerobrakes and maybe record video.

3.  The EVA and use of jet packs is clever , although I think not really in the spirit or the challenge, it is within the stated rules, so I have to allow it.  Can you provide an image showing your kerbal EVA at Laythe is when the craft is outside the atmosphere.  EVA in atmosphere is against the stated rules.   My testing shows that the craft cannot get to an Ap >50km.  Perhaps I have missed something?

The Laythe lander had more work put into it than it might seem at first. The Oscar tanks were attached at the top of the lander and offset downward into the cargo bay, and the Donut tanks were attached to the bottom of the lander using an adapter and offset upward into the bay. This reduces the drag cube of the lander significantly which makes it a lot more drag efficient.

I also took a steep trajectory to give myself more time above the atmosphere for the low thrust of the jetpacks to circularize the orbit.

Edited by camacju

15 minutes ago, camacju said:

Additionally the crafts aren't put together in the way they look. They both take advantage of node occlusion and part inlining (No clipping however) in order to reduce drag cubes which also reduces heating.

I’m not familiar with this optimization technique, could you expand on it? Does it mean that if e.g. you attach a part behind another part, then offset it to the side, the drag model still thinks it’s behind it and you get less drag? Or conversely if you want more drag but a slimmer profile, you can surface attach to the sides, then offset so it’s behind without affecting total drag?

Does this also work if you attach a part to a node, then offset it? I.e. does the drag model still think it’s node attached rather than surface attached?

Yes, that's correct. KSP's drag model is weird. Basically each part is a cube, and by attaching parts by nodes, you change the surface area of the cubes. KSP calculates drag based on cube surface area.

It's a bit more complicated than that but that's basically all you need to do it

I wanted to see if I could do this in a single launch and single stage (excluding the bathysphere). I could! And it wasn't even too hard or tedious! Here's a SSTLAB (Single Stage To Laythe And Back) sea/spaceplane, carrying two kerbals and the bathysphere as an external payload. I haven't decided what to name it yet, the working name is XR-8. She has about 6000 m/s vacuum dV upon reaching 100 km Kerbin orbit. At Laythe she had about 4000, and back in LLO she had about 3000, which was plenty for a nice and easy return to Kerbin. I just muffed my timing a bit and overshot KSC by some tens of km and had to make another water landing. Good thing she's built for that. 

FWIW I managed this without any savegame abuse, too.

The plane was a bit more expensive than the first one (59,052) but the total mission cost was a quite a bit less as it didn't need the service module and refueling flight that came with it. Simpler, too, obviously, as there was only one craft to fly.

(There's a bit of cosmetic clipping here but nothing that should affect performance or characteristics.)

Edit: Her name is BAK Billbo, because she goes there and back again and I don't want to be sued for copyright infringement.

0vxpD7k.png

T0aETLa.jpg

4dJwYNm.png

WCLw9Io.png

19ZdNvo.png

CIHLBRy.png

LcmlNYG.png

hVmjLso.png

aRka718.png

0WGV9xu.png

YURoBzA.jpg

ebeSPXN.png

Edited by Guest

Are you allowed to use better time warp to speed up the mission and do you get extra points if you do more science? Please answer I really need to know :)

Edited by Pastapower

18 hours ago, Pastapower said:

Are you allowed to use better time warp to speed up the mission and do you get extra points if you do more science? Please answer I really need to know :)

bettertimewarp is allowed.  There are no extra points for more science.

Here is my "cool and fun" submission.  Craft cost 71,180 funds, but low cost wasn't the agenda, rather I wanted to try to replicate the artificial gravity system and the space craft design used in the video Astronaut: The Last Push.  I used a KEKKJ transfer with Tylo assist to Laythe using about 1600 m/s dV (I think I could have done better by 350 m/s with more care) , and then a single Tylo assist direct to Kerbin which only cost about 1000m/s dV from low Laythe orbit.  I used heat shields with 200 units of ablator at both Laythe and Kerbin to assist with aerobraking.

7nGCHEX.png

Edited by jinnantonix

That is very cool! I haven't bothered with centrifugal gravity designs in KSP because the rotation isn't persistent; one of the things I'm looking forward to in KSP2 is that it will be so we'll see more designs like this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Brikoleur said:

That is very cool! I haven't bothered with centrifugal gravity designs in KSP because the rotation isn't persistent; one of the things I'm looking forward to in KSP2 is that it will be so we'll see more designs like this.

Thanks.  I have been wanting to do this mission in KSP forever.  Finally got to do it.  Looking forward to KSP2.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some ideas to reduce costs even further. Second ultra low cost submission: 12960 funds

M0v6LUk.png

Craft is very similar to the other one I submitted, but stripped down further. It consists of four parts:
-Laythe ascent vehicle: cheaper, lighter, more delta-v, and more TWR than the previous mission. Could probably be even lighter/cheaper but that's a lot of effort for what's probably minimal gain.
-Descent module: fuel tanks for ballast, parachutes, goo canister
-Station: Mk1 crew cabin and probe core (lighter and cheaper than two Mk1 command pods), fuel, Terrier engine. Like the previous mission, Terrier is used for orbital insertion, the trip to Laythe, and the return
-Two stage SRB launcher: No Kickback boosters this time; Thumpers are enough

prUJFV9.png

On pad

bVliTf8.png

Gravity turn

9Mp73q9.png

Second stage ignition

B3giOoW.png

Coast to 60km

dPXt9uN.png

Orbital insertion

slFDIEL.png

Kerbin orbit

zIy0yCQ.png

For this mission I'm trying something new for gravity assists. Sometimes my Mun assists won't give me enough energy for a good orbital resonance, or the angle won't be right - like this time.

F0TWWX7.png

Mun transfer

fwjmawx.png

I use Mun assists to get to Minmus, where I fly by Minmus and then fly by Mun one last time.

tgJAXpZ.png

Now I can get a good resonance

53g5TkO.png

Minmus flyby

5Euq34K.png

Final Mun assist

Next: Gravity assists to Jool

Hi @jinnantonix,

Thanks for this challenge, which has me doing submersible design for the first time (somehow...)!

Couple of questions:

1.  Does Re-stock count as a 'visual' mod?

2.  Couple of Part Clipping General thoughts:

IXDwrxtm.png

This pic shows an example of how I tend to clip parts - not exploitive, and within reason, to accomplish something that seems within engineering capability.  Here, a Jr. docking port is nested within a standard docking port to create a universal port.

MTaxFSvm.png

Here, the mission profile calls for an 'Earth Entry Module', which is a "modified Apollo CSM with beefed up heat shield and radiation shielding". To model that in KSP, this is a structural adapter clipped in with a 3-crew re-entry pod and some logistics (battery, chutes and a probe core). It weighs in at 3.9t (after departing from the Mission Module).

Based on what you see here, am I out of line with the clipping?

Thanks!

The trip to Jool

kEN7aDh.png

Because of the Minmus assist I had more Kerbin relative velocity than normal so I can go straight into an Eve encounter from the Kerbin assist

0S5aav1.png

Kerbin flyby

HI2H5ZH.png

Mun flyby for plane change

8UL7WPO.png

Eve assist

YpSmQQX.png

Kerbin and Eve assists

MLZBb75.png

Second Eve assist

xAAPzsr.png

Jool encounter

f4ks1p2.png

Final Kerbin assist

lVe2Pin.png

Tylo and Laythe assists to slow down for aerobraking

DERayOG.png

Necessary because otherwise aerobrake speed would be far too high

bcLgsAL.png

After the assists, aerobrake is a much more manageable speed

C2irhSO.png

Laythe aerobrake

MM920E0.png

Lander detaches

HFOWdvL.png

Aerobraking

YZtNw0f.png

Chute deployed

oBub1rI.png

Descending

53 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

@camacju it looks like you have a Kerbal in a deflated airlock, and also that you are inflating it through a fairing.  That's an illegal clip/exploit.  Sorry.

Inflated or deflated makes no difference to the aero properties. I'll re-fly the mission without that.

oYNS8k6l.png

Apollo to Laythe - McDonnell Douglas Phase B 12-Man Space Station Launch

This mission to the bottom of Laythe's ocean world incorporates some of the more far-out NASA concepts from the early 1970's, mixed in with a healthy dose of just plain Kerbalistic nonsense. 

In the first Saturn V launch, is the crew quarters, inflatable heat shield for Jool/Laythe braking and the crew Kerbin return capsule. The Phase B station was to be "a 12-man Space Station, the design of which would eventually serve as a building block for a 100-man Earth-orbital Space Base. The 12-man Space Station was to reach orbit on a Saturn V rocket in 1975 and to remain in operation for 10 years."

H9OFV0Gl.png

The crew are launched aboard a modified Apollo capsule affixed to the top of the Phase B, then undock and maneuver to the inflatable docking port to board their main vessel. The Apollo capsule is discarded and the crew await the next launch of the propulsion stage and Laythe lander.

Rz8MdeQm.png  1QqQW4tm.png

With such a life-span, a trip to Jool seemed like a natural choice for this mission. In the picture, a small Crew Module is seen docked to the rear (?) of the Phase B. For my purposes, a nuclear propulsion module is docked there instead.

HAvM0Bsl.jpg

Once the crew and Laythe SSTO seaplane are on their way, the nuclear booster will undock and return to Kerbin orbit for reuse. Before the mission gets underway, a full dress rehearsal is executed as a Munar flyby with a very shallow Kerbin re-entry to test the inflatable heat shield. 

GCFkWUvl.png

Once this high-speed re-entry test is completed, a new Phase B and propulsion stage will get the crew on the way to Laythe!  We won't be planning any extreme ▲-V saving flybys, but there will be Tylo gravity braking into Laythe orbit. The heat shield may or may not be needed, but nice to have it anyways, haha!

Coming next..

OaAGH07l.png

Edited by Death Engineering

• 1 month later...

wqvtaNNh.png

Apollo to Laythe - McDonnell Douglas Phase B 12-Man Space Station 

Bob stood on the bow of their spaceplane and, after tucking the DeGrasse Sea science into the hold, took one last look at the distant SOL and how different it looked shimmering with Laythe's pastel-pink sunset.

Thanks @jinnantonix for this challenge - I'd not ever attempted to sink anything (on purpose)!

P8F4h3ol.png

We arrived at Jool with a quick gravity assist past Tylo before aerobraking into Laythe orbit. Total ▲V to enter low Laythe orbit from interplanetary space was just a few hundred m/s.

9edLBb0m.png 4eIN7hwm.png

It was a very light pass through Laythe's atmosphere to slow down, then ditched the heat shield.

SqYuXc5m.png r1wKSXpm.png

After waiting for their landing zone to roll into daylight, the crew separated from the Phase B and headed down, brakes on FULL.

Ag1ie3pm.png LyxzF5Jm.png

Landing on chutes was the safest way to go. With no time to waste, they opened the door and dropped the probe.. wayyyyy down!

J7fgHWDl.png

The view from the bottom was eerie.. need a sub next time!

ZtL1reml.png

Payload back on board, the crew jetted... then rocketed.. back to orbit. 

Xo0yTA4m.png VOn6tBwm.png

No docking ports on the spaceplane, so a quick EVA got them back on board, then a long burn home for a 2.5 year cruise.

FA1icJAl.png

Don't forget the Mystery Goo!!

aQ6QKidl.png

Back home safe and sound... until next time!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.