Mod/Feature idea- Fuel Scoop

A simple part idea. feel free to use!

-SCC-00P Fuel Scoop
The "Specialized Cargo Collection mk00 Part" Is an odd, net-like structure, that, when extended, captures gasses like Hydrogen or small solids such as ice particles and stores them to later turn into liquid fuel and oxidizer.  Despite critics making outrageous claims such as "This part's acronym is forced and stupid", it seems to work as intended. Fuel Refinery sold separately.

This part will slowly produce Ore when exposed to Jool's atmosphere, which can then be processed into fuel. The deeper the part is, the more Ore it makes.

10 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

Uh, how about NO

Getting ORE out of any atmosphere is stupid, no matter what.

I think he’s said “ore” instead of hydrogen and ice particles as stated in his post (maybe to avoid explaining how hydrogen and ice is converted to LFO...)

There actually is another mod which collects atmospheric gas for processing, maybe to produce exotic matter for Roverdude’s Alcubierre drive, can’t remember.

5 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

Still, not ore, also, you shouldnt be able to get oxidizer from it, only LF and xenon maybe

also, I think that mod is spacedust(KSPIE also has a few collectors for this)

and stockalike mining extension and technically FFT also has a spacedust dependant exo-scoop and an atmospheric ramscoop

On 5/3/2021 at 6:49 AM, kspnerd122 said:

Still, not ore, also, you shouldnt be able to get oxidizer from it, only LF and xenon maybe

also, I think that mod is spacedust(KSPIE also has a few collectors for this)

Why not oxidizer? Ice, a VERY common resource, has oxygen. I don't see why a refinery couldn't crack ice into oxidizer.

On 5/3/2021 at 2:51 AM, FruitGoose said:

I think he’s said “ore” instead of hydrogen and ice particles as stated in his post (maybe to avoid explaining how hydrogen and ice is converted to LFO...)

There actually is another mod which collects atmospheric gas for processing, maybe to produce exotic matter for Roverdude’s Alcubierre drive, can’t remember.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:02 PM, kspnerd122 said:

Uh, how about NO

Getting ORE out of any atmosphere is stupid, no matter what.

I said "Ore" because making a separate resource for a part that's only usable on a single planet would be a waste of time. besides, the resources gained would mechanically work the same as ore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 1:14 PM, ILikeMods said:

Why not oxidizer? Ice, a VERY common resource, has oxygen. I don't see why a refinery couldn't crack ice into oxidizer.

Forthe ISRU, that makes sense.  For extracting it from Jool's atmosphere, not so much.  Gas giants have almost the same composition as stars -- 99.9% pure hydrogen.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:08 PM, Corona688 said:

Forthe ISRU, that makes sense.  For extracting it from Jool's atmosphere, not so much.  Gas giants have almost the same composition as stars -- 99.9% pure hydrogen.

true, just needed an excuse for oxidizer. Perhaps Jool is different then real-life gas giants?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.