Show and Tell - Mun terrain work

StarSlay3r

11 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Would you guys mind giving us a timetable for release or a roadmap. I feel like you guys show us stuff every few weeks but there isn't any basis or explanation of the content. A slick roadmap would be very much appreciated.

They're not going to do that because then people will be angry if the timetable isn't met.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Let's see some proper unedited gameplay so we know for sure Nate Simpson isn't Sean Murray 2.0.

While that would be nice, it's almost certainly not going to happen until the game is in a better state.

Although, it would be nice to know what state the game is in. 

1 minute ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:
5 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Let's see some proper unedited gameplay so we know for sure Nate Simpson isn't Sean Murray 2.0.

While that would be nice, it's almost certainly not going to happen until the game is in a better state.

Although, it would be nice to know what state the game is in.

I would rather honesty and a polished or broken game than discovering in 1-2 years time that most of the work done on the terrain gen and spaceflight was hand crafted and faked.

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

I would rather honesty and a polished or broken game than discovering in 1-2 years time that most of the work done on the terrain gen and spaceflight was hand crafted and faked.

Absolutely. I don't think we've gotten anything other than test scenes.

13 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Absolutely. I don't think we've gotten anything other than test scenes.

It's actually pretty easy to tell the difference between the test scenes (like the turnarounds we showed of the fuel factories) and real flight. There are an unusually high number of real in-game shots in this particular video - anything showing a vehicle and a planet in the same shot is in-game footage. I believe this is also the first time we've shown time zoom in action - that was a shot that Tom Vinita (of FRIDAY fame) took during some testing that just happened to look really cool. 

The surface shot on the Mun is a real PQS terrain, but it was easier to find a pretty spot with good lighting in the test scene. The other non-game shot was the final turnaround of the Mun - that was the asset review video submitted to the team by Brandon Orden, the Mun's creator. The asset (as you can see from the in-game shots) is the same scaled-space mesh as in the real game -- again, showing it in a test scene just makes it easier for us to control lighting and camera angle. In a lot of cases it's about convenience -- the more we can use already-generated assets for these show and tells, the more time we can devote to actually working on the game. 

So all in all, I'm happy that as we move forward we're able to show more and more footage of the real game in action. By volume, this is the most "real" footage we've shown in a very long time.

1 minute ago, Nate Simpson said:

So all in all, I'm happy that as we move forward we're able to show more and more footage of the real game in action. By volume, this is the most "real" footage we've shown in a very long time.

I'm very glad to hear it! :D :friday:

I noticed however, that there were no clouds on Kerbin. Was that not implemented in this build?

Overall though, the Mün looks FABULOUS. I hope we see more minmus soon, that's my favorite. :)

Spoiler

However, I would recommend labelling what is gameplay because as you can read above, several others, (myself included) can be prone to skepticism. Just a thought.  :-)

7 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

time zoom in action

I don't know why but I just don't like the sound of 'time zoom'. Maybe it's just because I'm used to how it's named in KSP1.

So, could we at least have an option to have it be called timewarp instead? Pretty please? :heart_eyes:

51 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Would you guys mind giving us a timetable for release or a roadmap. I feel like you guys show us stuff every few weeks but there isn't any basis or explanation of the content. A slick roadmap would be very much appreciated.

Unfortunately we do not currently have the ability to publicly share a roadmap or a more specific ETA for release at this time. For now, we can only say 2022. 

I remember the first videos of gameplay from 2019 showing the munar landscape, there's been some real progress! Pol looked very different (in a good way), but Mun feels familiar, and I'm very happy about it.

Unrelated to the topic of the video, but I wonder what the angular parts on the side tanks of the first rocket are. New shielded landing legs?

43 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

It's actually pretty easy to tell the difference between the test scenes (like the turnarounds we showed of the fuel factories) and real flight. There are an unusually high number of real in-game shots in this particular video - anything showing a vehicle and a planet in the same shot is in-game footage. I believe this is also the first time we've shown time zoom in action - that was a shot that Tom Vinita (of FRIDAY fame) took during some testing that just happened to look really cool. 

The surface shot on the Mun is a real PQS terrain, but it was easier to find a pretty spot with good lighting in the test scene. The other non-game shot was the final turnaround of the Mun - that was the asset review video submitted to the team by Brandon Orden, the Mun's creator. The asset (as you can see from the in-game shots) is the same scaled-space mesh as in the real game -- again, showing it in a test scene just makes it easier for us to control lighting and camera angle. In a lot of cases it's about convenience -- the more we can use already-generated assets for these show and tells, the more time we can devote to actually working on the game. 

Love the real footage. The Kerbol System is coming along nicely, and seems almost complete. Wonder which moon or planet we will see next?

Their was a obvious Jool tease (looking at you ksp star). Whatever you do show, know that it is great, and I think a lot of the fanbase is very proud!

Amazing, but I can't help  but notice that some major features are missing. This isn't *our* Mun. I'll get over it. I'm pretty sure. Probably.

33 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I don't know why but I just don't like the sound of 'time zoom'. Maybe it's just because I'm used to how it's named in KSP1.

Probably. If it had been named "Time Zoom" for the past 9 years I bet everybody would be posting Rocky Horror references when they announced they were changing it to "Time Warp." I mean what is this, Star Trek? Are they adding warp drives? Warp drives confirmed. OMG I'm not buying this game they're adding Klingons. Etc. etc. etc.

Not that I'm a huge fan of "Time Zoom." I just don't think it's inherently worse than "Time Warp"

46 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Thats good to hear! Hope to see the final product soontm!

i like it :D! does this mean not only are the looks getting changed, but the actual terrain (mun seas, size and locations of the craters, etc) is also getting changed? also, how will it run on slower computers? i recently got a better pc. but my laptop could barely run ksp 1, and i'm worried about people with low tier systems. will there be a setting to set it to high performance but worse looks?

3 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Amazing, but I can't help  but notice that some major features are missing. This isn't *our* Mun. I'll get over it. I'm pretty sure. Probably.

Probably. If it had been named "Time Zoom" for the past 9 years I bet everybody would be posting Rocky Horror references when they announced they were changing it to "Time Warp." I mean what is this, Star Trek? Are they adding warp drives? Warp drives confirmed. OMG I'm not buying this game they're adding Klingons. Etc. etc. etc.

Not that I'm a huge fan of "Time Zoom." I just don't think it's inherently worse than "Time Warp"

We have honestly not come to any official decision on nomenclature for this feature, and I am famously bad at terminology ("degrees Kelvin," "combustion products"). I may in fact be the only person on the team who calls it Time Zoom. I bet Shana and Tom are crawling out of their skin just reading this.

Time warp. Time warp. I'll call it Time warp from now on.  Apologies for the confusion.

1 minute ago, Nate Simpson said:

We have honestly not come to any official decision on nomenclature for this feature, and I am famously bad at terminology ("degrees Kelvin," "combustion products"). I may in fact be the only person on the team who calls it Time Zoom. I bet Shana and Tom are crawling out of their skin just reading this.

Time warp. Time warp. I'll call it Time warp from now on.  Apologies for the confusion.

:prograde:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.