Show and Tell - Mun terrain work

StarSlay3r

8 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Time warp. Time warp. I'll call it Time warp from now on.  Apologies for the confusion.

Well, the first game called it time warp, so you can't go wrong with sticking with that.

However, similar features have been around a long time in other games, where it is also called time acceleration.

I wouldn't fuss one bit if you start referring to it as time acceleration

50 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I noticed however, that there were no clouds on Kerbin. Was that not implemented in this build?

From build to build, stuff that's under construction tends to come and go -- that's why we try to be up-front about all of this footage being in progress. That said, it's probably worth clarifying that for every celestial body in the game, there is a local space terrain and a scaled space mesh -- the former is the procedurally-generated, highly-detailed thing that you actually land on, while the latter is the simplified representation that is seen both from a distance and in the map view. There is a seamless blend between the two versions as you near the celestial body. 

In the case of clouds, there are two completely different implementations for scaled space and local space. The far harder version is the local space version, as those are volumetric, traversible structures that have all sorts of complicated lighting attributes. That has been the first priority. The scaled space version is much easier to implement, and was visible a couple of builds ago... but apparently somebody was fiddling with it when this capture was taken. This is a good example of the way the "in-progress-ness" of the build can surface in the capture footage.

16 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

but apparently somebody was fiddling with it when this capture was taken.

No worries. Those of us familiar with version control understand the frustration of a feature working before the last pull request.

35 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

In the case of clouds, there are two completely different implementations for scaled space and local space. The far harder version is the local space version, as those are volumetric, traversible structures that have all sorts of complicated lighting attributes.

Is it going to be a challenge to have cloud shapes/locations match up when transitioning between those two regimes?

I was more excited to see Pol. But the Mun looks good overall. I did like seeing some of the ejected material around some of the craters. (It's the small details like that made KSP1 planets seem dull.) My only real gripe is the lowlands appear are too dark from orbit compared to the rest body. 

I'm much more impressed by the new mun than I thought I would be. The planet "asset" is freaking amazing. Manages to be both realistic and Kerbal at the same time. In the close up view, I see shadows for individual rocks... They look pretty brutal! Don't try to land there... and roving that terrain should be much tougher than in KSP1, assuming the rocks will be 3D. I can't wait to see a Kerbal-level to orbit video showing all the different levels of detail meshing from one to another!

8 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Woah, epic! The Mun looks a little more like the real Moon now.

I cannot stress enough, just HOW MUCH I want KSP2 to step up a lot their IVA game.

I really really really really hope we get something like MOARdV's Avionics Systems, and for big ships, I really really wish we get to move inside the ship in 0 g like on the ISS, and not for show, but for doing something, like operating science from inside the capsule and such.

1 hour ago, Sesshaku said:

I cannot stress enough, just HOW MUCH I want KSP2 to step up a lot their IVA game.

I really really really really hope we get something like MOARdV's Avionics Systems, and for big ships, I really really wish we get to move inside the ship in 0 g like on the ISS, and not for show, but for doing something, like operating science from inside the capsule and such.

Yes please! This will open the possibility for easy VR support implementation.

3 hours ago, Sesshaku said:

Would be neat to explore the inside of the ship as well as the outside. I think they ruled out moving around the inside of the ship in 1st Kerbal view already, if memory serves me. I might be misremembering since they are modelling the interiors etc anyway...

Looking really fantastic, all. Great to see some in-game flight as well. Interesting how high-contrast the surface looks, gives it that First Man aesthetic. Which is probably real because of the lack of atmospheric scattering into shadows? I guess there must be a fine balance gameplay wise, seeing what you’re doing while landing in a deep crater or on the night side. I wonder how you area all thinking about the way players light their own craft and place landing lights? Similar to KSP1?

Edited by Pthigrivi

12 hours ago, TLTay said:

Would be neat to explore the inside of the ship as well as the outside. I think they ruled out moving around the inside of the ship in 1st Kerbal view already, if memory serves me. I might be misremembering since they are modelling the interiors etc anyway...

I don't expect them to do it. It's just that, with the whole multiplayer thing. I'd like to think that after building a huge base or a huge space station, you'll get to explore the insides with a friend. I don't know, I have this insane assumption that the multiplayer it's gonna have a focus on roleplaying with a friend in a close kerbal view. Like a mixture of rocket design and Subnautica.

Edited by Sesshaku

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.