Michael Collins Memorial - KSP2 Poll

Would you want a Michael Collins memeorial in KSP2?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a Michael Collins memeorial in KSP2?

On 4/30/2021 at 7:02 PM, MechBFP said:

And? I don’t like that either. I don’t like 4th wall breaking references in games unless they are a comedy game. 

I don't think it's necessarily bad. It might be confusing from a lore side. But I don't think it would be that big of a deal if they did a Collins memorial. I think it's a way to show we care about them in a special way.

6 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

How is one plaque on a entire celestial body "immersion breaking"!?!?!??!

I do not understand.

here, I'll try to explain

I like to play like I'm actually the director of the KSC.

I'm flying the kerbals down to the Mun, its a historic first and I'm really excited. I've never seen the Armstrong memorial and don't know it exists.

Somehow, I end up landing very close to the memorial, close enough that I can see it. I EVA a kerbal over and read it.

Wait, this doesn't relate to KSP. Now, I can't pretend that I'm in the kerbal universe, because a Earth reference is there. The immersion is ruined.

37 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

How is one plaque on a entire celestial body "immersion breaking"!?!?!??!

That one plaque isn't the question under discussion here. The question under discussion is, should there be another plaque for Michael Collins?

If the answer to that question is "yes," then it's pretty logical to ask, why not Yuri Gagarin, Robert H. Goddard, Sergei Korolev, and all the other engineers, scientists, and astro/cosmo/taikonauts that have made space exploration possible? 

I would rather not go down that path at all. The first step has been taken and you're right, in and of itself it's no big deal. I just don't want the second, third, fourth, and fifth steps.

However, I would have no objections at all to this kind of thing as a separate game mode, similar to developer commentary modes on certain other games. Why not a new "education mode" that placed the Venera probes on Eve, rovers on Duna, all the Lunar landing sites on the Mun, Skylab and Mir and ISS in orbit, and so on and so forth, with interactables that tell you all about them? Then you could have a series of missions/tutorials that had you build the craft and visit the memorials, or a Carl Sagan/Cosmos style magic spaceship that took you on a guided tour if you don't have the time to do it yourself. It would be a fun way to learn about the history of space exploration -- and if you took the long way and built and flew the craft, taught you KSP into the bargain. Just not in the regular game.

Edited by Guest

I like the idea going around about doing something more subtle than a memorial structure (like a biome name or loading screen tip), as well as the idea of a single memorial, memorializing all who died, or simply all astronauts in general.

What I don't like, however, is the fact that we're arguing over this. I'd really, REALLY prefer if we keep things simple, civilized, and without mudslinging or harsh words.

With that out of the way, I'm gonna elaborate on my opinion. Michael Collins, although really neat, probably deserves this kind of thing only roughly as much as Buzz Aldrin, any other Apollo members, those who died in Apollo 1, the shuttle disasters, or other spacecraft failures, or even the Apollo 13 crew. I'm not dissing Michael Collins, I'm only saying we're focusing on him because he died recently, which makes me think the bias is a little stacked up against the others.

I'm not against a physical structure memorial, but it may fit better with KSP2's theme if it was something less on the nose and a bit more subtle-- like an unidentified object which turns out to be that Apollo-esque command pod, or a biome name (like Degrasse Sea), a menu or loading easter egg, or putting a poster in a broken building at the space center.

That's my opinion, but I'd like to reiterate that, in my opinion, we should all keep calm and realize we're arguing over whether or not to put a statue on the Mun in a game about flinging green guys into space. It's not as big of a deal as we're all making it out to be, in my opinion.

Edited by LittleBitMore
I keep making grammatical errors

3 hours ago, pandaman said:

Obviously the 'lol' was intented to convey that you aren't serìous.

Nope, just couldn't care less if anyone really finds immersion that important in a game about figuring out ways to kill green dudes, that they're going to dedicate so much to getting a rock removed from the game.

12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Nope, just couldn't care less if anyone really finds immersion that important in a game about figuring out ways to kill green dudes, that they're going to dedicate so much to getting a rock removed from the game.

Dude, just relax. You don't need to fight us. You clearly don't care about the immersion. That's fine. I do care about the immersion. Other people care too. That's also fine.

Its a single player sandbox game. There is no right way to play it.

18 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

to kill green dudes

Although I would say the purpose of the game is more about helping the kerbals experience the wonder of space, and to find joy in exploration rather than "well how can I kill some kerbals today?"

• 3 weeks later...

Apollo 11 command module "Columbia" orbiting Mun at about 15km seems the only appropriate memorial for Michael Collins. There really needs to be decal on the side saying Columbia or Cmdr. Collins.

I would love to see great easter eggs to all the pioneers of space, starting with Isaac Newton most importantly. Newton was about the most amazing human being and is probably the single biggest contributor to human's achieving space flight.

Would like to see easter eggs for:

Isaac Newton

Johannes Kepler

William Moore (The rocket equation)

Hermann Obereth

Albert Einstein

Robert Goddard

Werner von Braun - Very controversial due to non-science issues, but his contribution to rocketry is immense. Apollo 11 occurring  by 1969 without him seems unlikely.

IMHO, Astronauts are much less contributors but still important. So there should be an easter egg for Yuri Gagarian and Laika the dog.. 

23 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

Apollo 11 command module "Columbia" orbiting Mun at about 15km seems the only appropriate memorial for Michael Collins. There really needs to be decal on the side saying Columbia or Cmdr. Collins.

I would love to see great easter eggs to all the pioneers of space, starting with Isaac Newton most importantly. Newton was about the most amazing human being and is probably the single biggest contributor to human's achieving space flight.

Isaac Newton

Johannes Kepler

Hermann Obereth

Albert Einstein

Robert Goddard

Werner von Braun - Very controversial due to non-science issues, but his contribution to rocketry is immense. Apollo 11 occurring  by 1969 without him seems unlikely.

IMHO, Astronauts are much less contributors but still important. So there should be an easter egg for Yuri Gagarian and Laika the dog.. 

I disagree with your newton beeing the best human beeing

and I honestly don't want Wernher because of stuff that we shouldn't talk about

and if we get so many memorials, how about a big memorial about all humans (and animals, like monkeys) died while in space and on the ground (apollo 1, nedelin disaster,...)

1 hour ago, fragtzack said:

Isaac Newton

Johannes Kepler

Hermann Obereth

Albert Einstein

Robert Goddard

The one thing I disagree with is the CM orbiting the mun.

Also, we already have Werner von Braun
I agree with this, but I also like this idea

On 5/4/2021 at 1:59 PM, LittleBitMore said:

I'm not against a physical structure memorial, but it may fit better with KSP2's theme if it was something less on the nose and a bit more subtle-- like an unidentified object which turns out to be that Apollo-esque command pod, or a biome name (like Degrasse Sea), a menu or loading easter egg, or putting a poster in a broken building at the space center.

Specifically, I like the idea of a poster. Or have it be on a sticky note like the ones that are in the MK 1 lander can, the Science Lab, or the cupola module. 

Spoiler

You didn’t miss those, did you?

Not everyone would see it, because they can be pretty low-res, but not everyone sees the Armstrong memorial either. 

Or consider the asteroids. They are auto named so just put it in like that.

You could also use that for the Kerb-net guide marker things.

Or put something at the very bottom of laythes oceans. No one looks down there.

Spoiler

Except @hazard-ish

Edited by Admiral Fluffy
Grammar

The Kerbal KSP1 system  is big enough for many memorials and funny eggs. Add them all in! 

Approaching 2000 hours played in KSP1 according to steam.  I still have yet to find any easter eggs besides a few of the Kerbin ones. Then again, I don't go looking for them even though kerbal wiki lists all the eggs. One of the reasons why not encountering eggs for me is the use of Bon Voyage mod for rover trips..

Please please make rover driving (or automated driving) more engaging and fun then Ksp1. 

Edited by fragtzack

12 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

The Kerbal KSP1 system  is big enough for many memorials and funny eggs. Add them all in! 

Approaching 2000 hours played in KSP1 according to steam.  I still have yet to find any easter eggs besides a few of the Kerbin ones.

Exactly. It's not like Michael Collins is jumping out from behind a bush to beg for attention, It's just something a bit bigger than a rock that you will need to actively seek out if you want to see it. There's no question about immersion, that's gonna be maintained.

12 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Exactly. It's not like Michael Collins is jumping out from behind a bush to beg for attention, It's just something a bit bigger than a rock that you will need to actively seek out if you want to see it. There's no question about immersion, that's gonna be maintained.

Yeah! Now that I think about it there's the risk nobody finds the funny graveyard, but I have an idea!

Zombie astronauts! When you land close enough (50-100 km) they spawn around your ship at night and they point you towards the graveyard so you can properly pay respect to all dead astronauts.

And when you are farther, between 100 and 300 km you see a skull in the sky pointing towards the graveyard like the ones in Sea of Thieves:

fW9Zvqu.png