ksp 2 moon thoughts

jastrone

ksp 2 mun looking a bit od  

63 members have voted

1. 1. in the new show and tell we got to see what the mun will look like in ksp2 andd i think its a bit off. it looks more like a real moon than something you would find in ksp. it is very light aand pale compared to the moon in ksp 1 wich had much darker areas and was much more idk ksp vibe. it also has these big "lakes" wich i think where not on the moon in ksp1 but what do y'all think about it?

• it fits perfectly well in ksp2
    • it could use some adjustments but looks fine
    • it should be altered to be more like in ksp 1
    • it should be redone completely to look like the mun in ksp1 but with ksp2 graphics

It looks fine. I'm not expecting any of the planets in KSP2 to exactly match the planets from KSP1. (Ex. The KSC is in a different location in KSP2 and can't be matched to any known location in KSP1.) The only thing I can see doing is lighting up the grays a little bit and adding a bit more details.

I don't think it matters that the planets and moons will not be 'the same' as KSP1.  The fundamentals of the Kerbol system won't change (afaik), the details will naturally need to be different in some ways because they are improving the graphics and surface details, and tweaking the colours etc is a part of that process.

From what I have seen so far, I have no doubt they will look good.

Im pretty happy to see the changes tbh. It looks like things will be a bit more grown up and realistic vs cartoony. Its a balance but I think they’re on the right track. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

It looks awesome and way more realistic. But I voted "it could use some adjustments but looks fine" because I would like one thing:

- a more dusty feel on the surfaces

So far the Pol and Mun shows us great planets, but way too shiny for my taste, it kind of ruins the immersion for me. Don't get me wrong, the moon reflects a lot of light, but it doesn't do it in a "metallic/liquid" kind of way like on the videos shown. It's white. But it's dusty.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:54 PM, The Aziz said:

The new dark lakes take place of old dark giant craters (which i believe weren't physically possible considering their size in relation to the Mun itself)

On 4/30/2021 at 3:21 PM, kedrednael said:

I love it, it looks more like our moon. And I like the contrast of the dark lakes and the white ejecta.
Maybe it's just a bit too shiny, not dusty enough.

I might be being mistaken but are you guys talking about Minmus?

This is the Mun:

This is Minmus:

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I might be being mistaken but are you guys talking about Minmus?

This is the Mun:

Was*. It was the Mun, long ago in very alpha state, or rather a placeholder. Clearly you missed something: 

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Was*. It was the Mun, long ago in very alpha state, or rather a placeholder. Clearly you missed something: 

Oof been so busy I missed it. Thanks for letting me know :) 

58 minutes ago, kedrednael said:

Hey I even shared the youtube link :D

I can't check videos while I am out of house.

I really like the illuminated surfaces we've seen, and I am willing to bet that most of the negative reactions to it are probably just that it doesn't resemble what people are used to in KSP 1. That said, there are a few things I too would change if I had the option.

5E3YAGi.png

It seems like there is a TON of chromatic aberration in the sunflare effect that we've been shown, and I would probably cut that out. Unless that's a prism effect resulting from sunlight hitting a tenuous Minmus atmosphere (???) then I wouldn't be so sure of that effect fitting in. The sun also looks a teensy bit too yellow, I would have made it somewhat whiter (but not blue!) I do like the lens effects going on, by the way.

vBDGKbH.png

Another thing I would personally change is the skybox. There seems to be this big smear of a brown gas cloud in the KSP 2 skybox we've seen so far. I'm not a big fan of that one.

I do like realism, and approximating the view that a camera might see would have bright objects (such as the face of Minmus) all but wash out the sky and make it a solid back.  But that was never a must for me. Regardless of the subject that the camera is pointed at, I've always been served well by Poodmund's Deep Star Map skybox:

skiLEHi.jpg

It's just my personal preference for mostly dark and lots and lots and lots of tiny pinpoint stars. That isn't to say that the galactic disk needs to be subdued, though. It just doesn't need to be like Pood's Milky Way Skybox (where  I do think the galaxy shines a bit too brightly):

0NYiKfA.jpg

Hopefully we can adjust a lot of these secondary lighting effects in the settings. A lot of these visuals I'm looking for have a lot to do with dynamic range and simulating camera exposure. I don't know if that was Poodmund as well but I distinctly remember there being a mod that would darken the skybox as you turned the camera towards a really bright thing like a sunlight planet.

Edited by Wubslin

13 hours ago, Wubslin said:

negative reactions to it are probably just that it doesn't resemble what people are used to in KSP 1

no its not that but rather that it is too much. it fitts perfectly on minmus pecause its an icy moon. but it does not fit as well on ex mun because it is dusty.

1 hour ago, jastrone said:

no its not that but rather that it is too much. it fitts perfectly on minmus pecause its an icy moon. but it does not fit as well on ex mun because it is dusty.

It could look a little dustier, yes, but it doesn't look shiny or icy to me at all. It's a pretty close match to the Moon in terms of texture and color IMO.

L1iCVq2.png

81r3db4RkhL.jpg