Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So the KSP store has been down for a couple of days and I'm stuck with 1.11.0 and now way to download the updates for the game and DLCs.

Any ETA on when the store might be back online?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, Bej Kerman said:

That's probably for the best.

Doesn't help the situation, any.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, lBoBl said:

So the KSP store has been down for a couple of days and I'm stuck with 1.11.0 and now way to download the updates for the game and DLCs.

Any ETA on when the store might be back online?

I'm also having the same issue. I'm going to open a ticket and see what can get done about it. I've already done all the usual checks locally, across multiple PCs on my network, so it's gotta be somewhere online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 11:11 AM, lBoBl said:

So the KSP store has been down for a couple of days and I'm stuck with 1.11.0 and now way to download the updates for the game and DLCs.

Any ETA on when the store might be back online?

 

31 minutes ago, FS3D said:

Doesn't help the situation, any.

I'm also having the same issue. I'm going to open a ticket and see what can get done about it. I've already done all the usual checks locally, across multiple PCs on my network, so it's gotta be somewhere online.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/202012-when-can-i-re-download-ksp/&do=findComment&comment=3961279

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

Well early this week was five days ago and now instead of the "We're prepping the launch site" message I just get an error 1020 from CloudFlare...

Ok? I understand that. I was simply providing the only information available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Ok? I understand that. I was simply providing the only information available.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to sound angry at you, I thank you for pointing me to this thread, but... I'm a bit upset with the KSP team, I mean they could at least give us some kind of ETA I just want to know when I'll be able to download again and I sort of have the Karen-y feeling that I have a right to know given that I have after all bought the game four times.

edit: But of course if they do give us Jeb plushies like you mentioned all will be forgiven :)

Edited by lBoBl
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lBoBl said:

I'm a bit upset with the KSP team, I mean they could at least give us some kind of ETA I just want to know when I'll be able to download again and I sort of have the Karen-y feeling that I have a right to know given that I have after all bought the game four times.

Understandably. This could have been handled better.

Yep. I feel ya.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lBoBl said:

given that I have after all bought the game four times

:o how/why?! This is one major advantage of using Steam; that never goes down and it saves your purchases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FruitGoose said:

:o how/why?! This is one major advantage of using Steam; that never goes down and it saves your purchases.

Why is it you think Steam is so much better? 

Maybe the multiple purchases were through choice, like for other people as gifts, or just because... reasons.

I bought it once from thè KSP store (8 years ago) and never lost my purchase.  The only issues I have had are slower download at a busy time, and the occasional 'maintenance' outage.

I agree though, a bit of communication would help.  They may not have an ETA to give, but a brief explanation would be welcome.

Edited by pandaman
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Why is it you think Steam is so much better? 

Maybe the multiple purchases were through choice, like for ither people as gifts, or just because... reasons.

Because as I said it’s never down for maintenance and it keeps your purchases in a library (all games not just KSP). When those things are something the alternative doesn’t do (ie the main site) I don’t think it’s so unreasonable to imply it’s better at it? (Although i actually said a major advantage). 

You don’t use steam for your own reasons so would never agree with any pro-steam statement anyway so the argument is pretty pointless.

But to address your gifts comment. Yes you’re right might have been gifts. Might be a collector. Might be mentally ill. From now on I will be sure to list every possible consequence of every possible scenario to avoid confusion :confused:
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

Because as I said it’s never down for maintenance and it keeps your purchases in a library (all games not just KSP). When those things are something the alternative doesn’t do (ie the main site) I don’t think it’s so unreasonable to imply it’s better at it? (Although i actually said a major advantage). 

You don’t use steam for your own reasons so would never agree with any pro-steam statement anyway so the argument is pretty pointless.

But to address your gifts comment. Yes you’re right might have been gifts. Might be a collector. Might be mentally ill. From now on I will be sure to list every possible consequence of every possible scenario to avoid confusion :confused:
 

 

Yeah, whats 'best' for one person may not work so well for another.  

I do have a Steam account, and appreciate how it can be good for those with several games, for the reasons you gave, but as I have so few I hardly use it, and would prefer not to be forced to use it to play the single player game I needed it for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Yeah, whats 'best' for one person may not work so well for another.  

I do have a Steam account, and appreciate how it can be good for those with several games, for the reasons you gave, but as I have so few I hardly use it, and would prefer not to be forced to use it to play the single player game I needed it for.

Exactly. I have a lot of games through there (and discovered KSP through there actually by chance) but I have bought add ons for other games from the developer’s site so have no huge allegiance to them myself thinking about it :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

:o how/why?! This is one major advantage of using Steam; that never goes down and it saves your purchases.

Well I bought it once on Steam.

Then because Steam is a complete nightmare, and because I really liked the game, I bought it on the KSP store. Then I gifted it to two friends who immediately loved it. And if you add all that up it's still pretty cheap when you consider how many hours I've played it :) 

It's funny to think that you see steam as something so great that you can't imagine why some people would rather not use it, and I hate Steam so much that I can't even comprehend how people can actually like it. When I grew up we used to go to the store, buy a game like a physical object, on a physical support like a CD or a DVD, you would bring it back home and you would use it whenever you wanted, like any physical object that is in your home and that you own. Steam doesn't give me that feeling of owning a game. It's more like the mysterious Steam people take my money and agree to let me use their game under certain very specific conditions. You have to be logged in to steam, the game must be in one of your predefined steam folders, you have to update the game to the latest version available, and you must not irritate the all-powerful Steam gods... Of course KSP being DRM-free you can just copy-paste it outside of your steam library and steam will stop managing it but I didn't know that at the time, and when an update dropped and I tried to launch the game, steam updated it and all my mods were suddenly broken and I couldn't play. At the time there was no easy way to download older versions of the game on Steam so I said you know what, heck steam, I love this game, I don't mind paying it again the devs deserve it. 

For the past 6 years or so I've had no complaints with the KSP store, I've always been able to download whichever version I wanted to use, unzip it in the folder of my choice and just use it. Now it's been down for like a week so that's a bummer but it's not the end of the world. 

To be clear I'm not anti-game stores, GOG for instance is great and does give me that feeling of owning a game. I can just move a game to a completely different drive, tell GOG hey look it's in that folder now, it'll check game files and say yup, it's in that folder now, no problem. If there's an update available it'll give me the option to update. I can run a game by clicking on the .exe file, without having GOG open, I don't have to ask GOG for permission when I want to play a game I own. So yes, I probably should have bought KSP on GOG :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

Yeah that’s cool each to their own.

I actually used to feel the same about physically owning games but it’s become too easy nowadays to click a button, pay electronically and be playing within minutes for me anyway (plus the original reasons for me using it as stated). 

But I’m not trying to lure others into the evil grips of steam don’t worry!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

Yeah that’s cool each to their own.

I actually used to feel the same about physically owning games but it’s become too easy nowadays to click a button, pay electronically and be playing within minutes for me anyway (plus the original reasons for me using it as stated). 

But I’m not trying to lure others into the evil grips of steam don’t worry!

Yeah of course platforms like Steam also have many advantages, now you can't loose your games or scratch the disk until it becomes unreadable, and you don't even have to go to the store to get new games. Let's just say that I'm not a fan of Steam's TOS

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lBoBl said:

Well I bought it once on Steam.

Then because Steam is a complete nightmare, and because I really liked the game, [cut by me]

It's funny to think that you see steam as something so great that you can't imagine why some people would rather not use it, and I hate Steam so much that I can't even comprehend how people can actually like it. When I grew up we used to go to the store, buy a game like a physical object, on a physical support like a CD or a DVD,  

you have a problem with DRM, not with (just) Steam.

Buy DRM free games on Steam and you are done.

The problem with GOG is that I can't  easily download older versions of a game - what's  on KSP is a necessity. And on Steam this is a  breeze.

And it's I do on Steam - only DRM free games.

But I do GOG too, most of my games are bought there - but usually older games that are not updated anymore and have all eventual problems already tackled down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Lisias said:

you have a problem with DRM, not with (just) Steam.

Buy DRM free games on Steam and you are done.

The problem with GOG is that I can't  easily download older versions of a game - what's  on KSP is a necessity. And on Steam this is a  breeze.

And it's I do on Steam - only DRM free games.

But I do GOG too, most of my games are bought there - but usually older games that are not updated anymore and have all eventual problems already tackled down.

I also buy games on both GOG and Steam. In fact, I have bought KSP on both platforms. That was long enough ago that I forget exactly why. Probably it was on sale real cheaply on Steam so I picked it up for convenience or something even though I already owned it on GOG. No big surprise that both platforms have their problems - just different ones. GOG can be a bother for updating games - possible, sure, but just a bother. So as you say, i like it for games that are no longer being updated (though you can still run into problems with operating system releases that require old games to be updated to keep working - see all the 32-bit games on Mac OS that no longer work with Catalina; I'm thinking of keeping two versions of Mac OS on the two drives I have on my Mac). Steam is, if anything, a bit too aggressive about pushing updates, forcing you to play tricks like copying the game to a separate directory that Steam won't touch (which doesn't work easily with some games, though it does with KSP).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...