Threads of the month: May 2021

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
May 2021 Edition

y4FVQ07.png?1

Greetings to all of you who dare to push the boundaries of game physics, to the desk chair Kerbalnauts, and the dreamers of spaceflight and exploration dreams...

It's hard to believe it is May, the fifth month of 2021 and the fourth month where I've volunteered to do the Thread of the Month! This month's nominations were similar to going to the refrigerator a day before the weekly trip to the market - not a lot of variety to choose from! This really does not come as too much of a surprise for me as in our area, some of the restrictions put in place for COVID-19 are ending. If you are one of those who are fortunate to live in an area where the virus is fading, I hope you are taking advantage of the regained freedom to do things outdoors!

So, before I get into the threads of the month for May, I ask that as you visit the forum this month, you help make it easier for me to do the June Thread of the Month and nominate worthy threads by using the handy instructions at the bottom of this post. Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for May:

General community thread of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories. This month, we have two threads who are recognized for this category:

For this month, we had a nomination of a thread that was probably encouraged by the current American mission to explore the surface of Mars and the hardware being used - the Perseverance Rover. Over the years, there have been a lot of good rovers shared on the forum and in threads such as "What did you do in KSP today?" But this thread, by @Kerminator K-100, is dedicated to rovers! So, if you want to build a rover and do not know where to begin, get some inspiration from this thread! And if you have a rover you have developed and would like to share it with others, this would be a great place to highlight your mechanized creation.

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:
This category features a mod which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program. For May, we have two mods that tied for the top honor in this category:

This mod and it's related thread came as an answer to another thread started by @Klapaucius as a suggestion in the "Suggestions and Development" area of our forum.  What happened next was @FruitGoose accepted the challenge and within a short time, posted a mod that is very useful. We have all had the experience of landing on the Mün or Minmus, or even Dres and have our perfect landing messed up because without realizing it, our burn slowed the descent too much - and the trajectory of the lander changed! This mod allows you to set colors that can be used as a visual cue to let you know when you've changed direction as your vertical speed changes. This mod is great for the beginner (and others) who are learning to land on those strange, new worlds...

We have another winner for this category for May - and it's the mod featured on this thread by @benjee10. Many of our forum members (and myself included) love the challenge of building usable bases on those far-away destinations we send our brave Kerbalnauts. This mod allows you to build bases and vehicles to support the exploration efforts of your little green guys and gals. Your Kerbals will appreciate this - no longer do they have to be confined to the tight quarters of the Hitchhiker Container or science lab while they are away from Kerbin.

Fan-fiction and Kerbal Space Program-inspired creative threads of the month:
This category features a thread which while is not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game.

This month we have another great mission report shared by @king of nowhere. One of the great things about our forum is as if the game isn't difficult enough, we often will start the game all over - at some point. Whether it's a sandbox, science, or even career mode, we will often put constraints on our game playing that are a lot harder than we probably should! In this thread, @king of nowhere shares his latest grand tour strategy with some self-imposed restrictions a new way to play the game:

Honorable mentions:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mention for May 2021 is:

Honorable mentions for May may not have made the Thread of The Month this month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for April!! We'd like to thank  @Single stage to ocean, @Klapaucius, @Poodmund, @Stone Blue, @Spaceman.Spiff, @FruitGoose, @Souptime@Dientus, and the members of the moderation team who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed April's thread of the month, you can click here.

20 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Honorable mentions:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mention for May 2021 is:

HAHA YES I WON!

the 1 nomination i did was fir my art thread lol

congrats to the winners!!!

@Melontimelook i won

2 minutes ago, Souptime said:

HAHA YES I WON!

the 1 nomination i did was fir my art thread lol

congrats to the winners!!!

No, you're not a thread of the month winner. You are an honorable mention. ;)

Nice try, though. :)

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

For this month, we had a nomination of a thread that was probably encouraged by the current American mission to explore the surface of Mars and the hardware being used - the Perseverance Rover. Over the years, there have been a lot of good rovers shared on the forum and in threads such as "What did you do in KSP today?" But this thread, by @Kerminator K-100, is dedicated to rovers! So, if you want to build a rover and do not know where to begin, get some inspiration from this thread! And if you have a rover you have developed and would like to share it with others, this would be a great place to highlight your mechanized creation.

Thank you all so much! This is awesome! I'd like to thank everyone who nominated me for this and congratulate everyone else who got TOTM. @benjee10 definitely deserved it and so did @FruitGoose! I haven't seen @king of nowhere's thread yet but I'll give it a read!

@Souptime should have definitely won tho:D

I actually wasn't inspired by Perseverance, I just started making rovers and wondered why there was a thread for SSTOs and Stations but not rovers :blush:. Maybe I'll need to start making some Perseverance style rovers:D. Also yes, please post all the rovers you can! I would love to see them! I've also got a new rover in celebration of this, The Party Bus!, if you'd like to check it out:D

34 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

What if I nominated this thread for TOTM?

Nominating TOTM for TOTM??? I think that's breaks all laws of physics, and you go back in time... or turn into a sofa... or something like that lmao

Just now, GuessingEveryDay said:
3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Nominating TOTM for TOTM??? I think that's breaks all laws of physics, and you go back in time... or turn into a sofa... or something like that lmao

Say, that's a nice profile picture!

Yes it is

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.