My Caveman Mission. (Normal) Land Jeb on Duna and return him save to Kerbin.

Sirad

Hello Alltogether.

This is my Attempt in Playing Caveman (on Normal difficulty) to Fly Jeb To duna and bring him back Savely to Kerbin.

To Achieve this a lot of work has flown into it, including mastering the Art of Docking without Monoprop, Building explicitely useful crafts (lift more than 2tons to Orbit 200km of Kerbit) and planning and assembling a Ship in Orbit that is capable to savely Fly jeb to and Back to Duna. It took me 5 Days for Planning and 2 Days for the mission itself. Including a Lithobrake at the and at Kerbin...

I learned alot while this and call myself now a better Pilot, of course ;)

Note that the Science Screenshots were taken prior deorbiting the Duna Ship to prove i have managed The Caveman until start to duna.

I ended up at least with 370+ science in total afterwards...

screenshot0.png

Well the Difficulty is normal.

screenshot1.png

Well, since im already Caveman i will not mess around to much with screenshots achieving the science until i have everything together for Building the Ship that flies to duna. Just a few heres and theres to sideway my preparings for this attempt.

screenshot2.png

My First Flyby of the Mun. I was not very advanced there and still building up Science for the Trip.

screenshot3.png

These are my Typical Flyby/Orbit Crafts that gather the major part of the Science for me.

screenshot4.png

Flying by in Low Orbit.

screenshot5.png

And then returning the Science back to Kerbin. This is just the usual Stuff i have to do until i get the needed Science to Build my Duna Craft. Well, i started a new Game and played it thru.

screenshot6.png

One of my Landing Crafts. Since i managed to Orbit in Space i just passing by the hassle to try to Land on Mun or Minmus in one Craft. Im assembling everything in Space. Whenever i will try to land Jeb on Tylo on Hard Setting this training will be useful.... :-)

screenshot7.png

Ive got a line of standard Crafts now that lifts everything into Orbit.

screenshot8.png

Okay, enough of the Preparation. Now the Art starts. I had long thought about the optimal design for an interplanetary Ship on Caveman level. I came out with that. Thats the Part where the Tug gets assembled.

screenshot12.png

Everything needs to be onboard. Batterys, Solar Power etc.

screenshot12.png

The Navball shows how to dock. First come to a stop, throttle the engine to 5% and then advance toward the target in navball and overturn the ship ito any fitting differences and advance until target and prograde fits again.

screenshot12.png

Slowly advance to the target

screenshot13.png

It fits. Actually im so trained, its like drinking a glass of milk.

screenshot14.png

The maneuvering Tug has enough fuel even to deorbit, to prevent cluttering space.

screenshot15.png

This was the hardest thing getting to Orbit, the engines for the Tug. I faled several Times, but the rocket is cheap, so no issue at all.

screenshot16.png

and here comes the Fuel. I had to do this very often. i just added some snippets of this.

screenshot18.png

Just some views to calm down and/or enlargen the tension ?

screenshot19.png

This ship was assembled with the old Fuel tank rocket. Not a full FL-T400.

screenshot20.png

Getting that thing to Orbit for docking. I just got all the time roughly 5km below the orbit of the Interplanetary transporter, circled until i was near and then attempted docking.

screenshot21.png

I typically advance to the target and while closing in using anti target/retrograde to break into perfect position.

screenshot22.png

As you see, retrograde and anti target doesnt mach so i burn into  overrsteered retrograde to align both markers.

screenshot23.png

corrected now

screenshot24.png

This has to be done 12 Times until the Ship is ready for departure.

screenshot25.png

getting near

screenshot26.png

Scenic view of it

screenshot27.png

Sideview of it.

screenshot28.png

Docked.

screenshot30.png

and so on.

screenshot31.png

Targeting each other craft so it will be aligned linear.

screenshot32.png

And doing the same stuff over and over again.

screenshot33.png

screenshot34.png

Watch the Ship growing.

screenshot35.png

Now this is easy for me---

screenshot36.png

Even a bit misalignment is no issue. it docks.

screenshot37.png

2nd Fuel tank attached

screenshot38.png

And the Transporter has enough DV to deorbit.

screenshot39.png

Wide view of starting pad.

screenshot40.png

I like that view.

screenshot41.png

The rockets are quite stable once you manage to put shrouds on.

screenshot42.png

Up into Space

screenshot43.png

and Dock.

screenshot44.png

3rd Fuel Tank.

screenshot45.png

4th Fuel Tank.

screenshot46.png

Approaching.

screenshot47.png

and Docking

screenshot48.png

This is how close i fly to the Orbit of the Main Ship. roughly between 5-10 Km difference. The rest is using prograde/target and eyeballing. it works. No Monoprop needed

screenshot49.png

Nearing the Target

screenshot50.png

Starting to bake down.

screenshot51.png

and docking the 5th Tank.

screenshot52.png

Hell, i catches a Mun eclipse here.

screenshot52.png

:-)

screenshot54.png

Docking the 6th Fuel Tank

screenshot55.png

screenshot57.png

screenshot58.png

Dont need to comment every docking nor ? Who is already bored of this, spool ahead some pics :-)

screenshot59.png

7th Tank

screenshot60.png

Aproaching

screenshot61.png

and locked

screenshot62.png

8th tank

screenshot64.png

and we have a lock.

screenshot65.png

9th Tank

screenshot66.png

and so on. This was quite a lot of work and tedious, but i want to get to Duna so, its neccessary.

screenshot67.png

10th Tank

screenshot68.png

It looks nearly finished now.

screenshot69.png

soone the hassle comes to an end.

screenshot70.png

already fed of those pics ? I suffered, i let you all suffer too :-)

screenshot71.png

closing in.

screenshot73.pngscreenshot74.png

Free view of construction process

screenshot78.png

Now lets gonna Start. I used a common website to get a planned Solution for the interplanetary transfer. On my calculations i had 1000 excess dv to correct any misses on the way to Duna. The hardest thing is to get a catch from Duna. The way back is not so hard because Kerbin has a bigger soi and you can aerobrake... but later to this...

So the craft is a Tower. Pushing that much docking ports is useless and you will not suceed in burning towards dune (learned the hard way, before)

Its quite Simple. From the Top to the Bottom you have following parts.

- Science collector and deorbiter on Kerbin once we are back

- Main Towing engine

- Main Body

- Fuel Tanks that gets enabled, used and decoupled manually as needed.

- Duna Lander with Jeb Aboard.

I just threw away the Plan to bring the deorbit modul for Kerbin landing of Jeb all the way to Duna. To much Fuel needed and a waste of efficiency.

screenshot81.png

So the 2 Towing engines worked well. i only needed one Burn to get to escape velocity.

screenshot85.png

burning.

screenshot88.png

and Burning

screenshot89.png

and off from Kerbins soi. now im at the Hands of Fate.

screenshot90.png

Oh, that looks quite good. Lets see how i enter Donas soi. Just a lottery. Som course correction needed here.

screenshot91.png

Just right before entering Soi

screenshot93.png

Hit it. But got a very bad Entry here. I have to burn lots of Fuel to get a Plane and stable orbit.

screenshot94.png

View with Duna by.

screenshot95.png

Only 6 Fuel tanks left over now.

screenshot96.png

I had to invest about 600DV to get a catch, no deorbit included yet.

screenshot104.png

More Fuel wasted to get good Inclination

screenshot106.png

Now heading for the Aerobrake at Duna Atmosphere

screenshot107.png

Just not to deep, thats fiddly

screenshot108.png

Sideeffect, another science Report.

screenshot109.png

Bit by Bit Circling Down to Duna.

screenshot110.png

Only 4 Tanks left. I will need them for the way back....

screenshot111.png

Circling down more.

screenshot112.png

and more.

screenshot113.png

The orbit gets lower.

screenshot114.png

and lower each Turn.

screenshot115.png

Scenic view here.

screenshot116.png

Time for Circling and undock the Lander.

screenshot117.png

Jeb is on his way down to Duna.

screenshot118.png

2 Chutes suite well. Only need some small breaking ignition to land.

screenshot119.png

Hanging in the Chutes.

screenshot120.png

Now Jeb can laugh again. Landed on Duna. No EVA, no Flag,

screenshot121.png

Then heading back into space.

screenshot123.png

Circularizing the Orbit

screenshot124.png

Main Fuel has been Burned, now the 2nd tank gets activated

screenshot126.png

And docking to the Main Ship

screenshot127.png

Science for it!

screenshot128.png

Using the same tool, i planned Jeb's Planetary Transfer back to Kerbin. Thats more easy because the BIIIIIIG Soi.

screenshot129.png

Entering Kerbol Soi

screenshot130.png

Nearing Kerbin Soi

screenshot131.png

Looks good.

screenshot132.png

For acceletaring from Duna next 2 Fuel tanks used up.

screenshot133.png

I had to do many maneouvering to get a good inclination at Kerbin. i will need a good inclination because i need to send up a Deorbiter to get him back to Ground.

screenshot134.png

Maneouvering and course corrections

screenshot135.png

This was how i ended up

screenshot136.png

45 degrees against inclination. could have been worse.

screenshot137.png

So maneouvering the course and correcting the inclination, setting an aerobrake PE

screenshot139.png

i have set this amount. Just barely more i would have been burned, you will see later on.

screenshot140.png

all Main Fuel tanks are used up but it looks good and if everything runs fine Jeb is save.

screenshot141.png

Aerobraking

screenshot142.png

Aerobraking

screenshot143.png

What the (....) im gonna nearly burn the ship. Jeb no longer laughs.

screenshot144.png

But if you survive the first round, you survive them all.

screenshot145.png

Decellerating

screenshot146.png

Next Round. As you see i set the nav point to Radial in, to get the best breaking efficiency.

screenshot147.png

Cooling Down,

screenshot148.png

Cooling down.

screenshot149.png

Next Round.

screenshot150.png

Nearing a circular orbit.

screenshot151.png

Each round slows down 80DV. so some time to go.

screenshot152.png

Now its time to manually circularice, burning up the last Fuel inside the core structure of the ship.

screenshot153.png

Stable Orbit achieved, time to pick up Jeb from Space.

screenshot154.png

Just the rescue ship that picks him up.

screenshot155.png

Burn Bady Burn..

screenshot156.png

Aproaching for Docking.

screenshot157.png

Nearing the Main Ship

screenshot158.png

Closing in

screenshot159.png

closing in

screenshot160.png

and docked.

screenshot161.png

So Time to change Jebs seat to the rescue ship and deorbit.

screenshot162.png

Hes Home soon.

screenshot163.png

Oh,  yes  we did.

screenshot164.png

Reentry and braking down.

screenshot165.png

landing

screenshot166.png

Jeb made it to Duna and Back.

screenshot167.png

Science tree

screenshot168.png

Science report

screenshot169.png

Mission summary

screenshot170.png

Jeb got 18 XP for it.

But then a Problem arrives. I had several Science collected around Duna but wasnt able to undock the science Deorbit module. Dunno what happened.

So i have to deorbit the complete mothership, throw some small chutes out and try to lithobrake in hope that the Science container survives

screenshot171.png

Watch the Show. This picture can not show the wobbling but i was giggling while watching.

screenshot172.png

What the Kraken. Down to 1879ms and this thing is just stable.

screenshot172.png

Donno what happened. Those Docking Ports seem to be glued together. Is this a Bug ?

screenshot173.png

Now it all hangs in the chutes and falling with 41ms. Too much.

screenshot174.png

What luck. Science container survived the impact.

screenshot175.png

Si i can recover all the Science from Duna

screenshot176.png

Here the tree again

screenshot177.png

No facilities upgraded

screenshot178.png

Main Science Archive 1

screenshot179.png

Main Science archive 2

screenshot180.png

Main Science archive 3

screenshot181.png

Main Science Archive 4

screenshot182.png

Duna Science Part

screenshot183.png

Kerbin Science Part

screenshot184.png

Kerbin Science Part 2

screenshot185.png

Kerbin Science part 3

screenshot186.png

Mun Science

screenshot187.png

Minmus Science.

I hope this Qualifies, but if not, it was great fun anyway!

Edited by Sirad

Excellent job, @Sirad!

And quite well documented, too.

Speaking personally, I'd love to have seen a few shots of your various craft in the VAB (I'm always interested in construction details), but the lack of them does not affect things, from a qualification perspective.

(Out of curiosity, if I'm understanding the fuel levels correctly, it seems you had to do a revert at one point, when leaving the surface of Duna? What went wrong? Again, no problem.. reverting is permitted for Normal difficulty attempts.)

And before I forget, again just curiosity, did you max out the tech-tree before the Duna mission, or were there a few things you had to unlock after getting home from Duna? 

Well done! I'll see you over on the main Caveman Challenge thread.

Edited by JAFO

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Excellent job, @Sirad!

And quite well documented, too.

Speaking personally, I'd love to have seen a few shots of your various craft in the VAB (I'm always interested in construction details), but the lack of them does not affect things, from a qualification perspective.

(Out of curiosity, if I'm understanding the fuel levels correctly, it seems you had to do a revert at one point, when leaving the surface of Duna? What went wrong? Again, no problem.. reverting is permitted for Normal difficulty attempts.)

And before I forget, again just curiosity, did you max out the tech-tree before the Duna mission, or were there a few things you had to unlock after getting home from Duna? 

Well done! I'll see you over on the main Caveman Challenge thread.

Well, when i post the Report from my Tylo landing i will put screens from all Crafts and the Craft files too into the folder. The Crafts are all the same and meanwhile i've got over 60 of them in that game, some may be worth Posting. Maybe someone could use them. Only a few ones that are very hard to get to orbit (Engine modules and lander modules) all else fly smooth and fine.

Yes i had to revert while my ascent from duna once, because i tilted over a Rockstable flying craft while ascent (:wacko:), ---> My doorbell was ringing (typical external kraken attack) i was so concentrated and sunken into game i just shrieked/messed up due to being surprised/startled (dont know the right english word for it) . And i too needed 2 tries for the transfer window to duna because the first Time i missed the window. As you say, reverting is ok, that's why i play on normal level. On Hard, i would have failed the mission completely, due to missing the transfer window to Duna. Eyeballing the angles is quite hard...

Maybe if im more experienced in Interplanetary Transfer windows i make a Try on Hard.

For this mission you dont need: Heavy rocketry, Aerodynamics, Space exploration. No Parts needed from those nodes to do the Duna Trip :-)

I admit, i dislike all this biome hopping so i played straightforward until i've got the needed science for the trip.

I now looked into the current Game. You are right i have currently 37 science left and all nodes researched. I have unlocked the last 3 Nodes with the Duna Science, prior taking screenshots.

8 minutes ago, Sirad said:

when i post the Report from my Tylo landing i will put screens from all Crafts and the Craft files too into the folder. The Crafts are all the same and meanwhile i've got over 60 of them in that game, some may be worth Posting. Maybe someone could use them.

I use my account on KerbalX to do something similar. In addition to thus making them available to everyone, by using the KerbalX mod in-game, I can directly import craft from previous attempts into my new Caveman games, without having to build them again from scratch. Comes in very handy.

Edited by JAFO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.