Colony building IVA and Space Suit Survivability

Hi everyone!

I've stalked the forums for a couple years, content to read quietly until now, however there are a couple points that I don't recall being mentioned previously so I made an account to see what people think:

1. Is it within the remit of the game to include an IVA (Intra-Building Activity?) perspective of colony buildings? These could be huge areas. I know KSP 1 has them for vehicles, I'm curious to see where this line will be drawn. Of course I'd love this to be included but I wonder if it's asking too much.

2. Should there be different 'levels' or 'types' of space suits for Kerbals? The surface of Eve would crush a normal spacesuit like a packet of crisps. I think it would be cool if we had to research technology to survive in extreme environments, beyond just adding some radiators to the side of a rocket or building.

@KSPStar could you move this one to development also please?

Edited by Nirgal

Welcome to the forums. I think this idea would be great but as a default setting no. But it would be nice to see this by activating a certain setting. You could add this into hard mode.

6 hours ago, Nirgal said:

1. Is it within the remit of the game to include an IVA (Intra-Building Activity?) perspective of colony buildings? These could be huge areas. I know KSP 1 has them for vehicles, I'm curious to see where this line will be drawn. Of course I'd love this to be included but I wonder if it's asking too much.

There's a line between cool gameplay details and too much micromanagement and boring repetitive procedural interiors. 

While I'd love to have the ability to visit all my colonies by foot the risk here is that to allow for that we fall into the Skyrim syndrome of "huge cities with a population of 15 people" made of the same 6 internal rooms designs with 12 different props chosen from a list of 30 variants.

I think there should be a line somewhere between the classic kerbal exploration gameplay (small crews of kerbonauts, temporary bases and ships, scientific experiments and exploration/prospecting as the main goal, everything manually and directly controlled) and the colonial gameplay that should have hundreds if not thousands of civilians with their residences and need all summarised in a slightly simplified manner (ex Kerbonauts require active-micromanaged life support, Civilians have special modules they can inhabit (thinking like the "Hitchhiker Storage Module") that abstracts most of the micromanagement away but costs more in terms of resources and weight per kerbal. 

Hi @Nirgal welcome.  And here's your first 'like'.

IVAs are nice, but for me it's not such a big deal although many other players want much more of that, so if it's a practical thing to do then why not.  For me wandering around inside my ships or buildings is not really the focus of the game or what I want to do.

The different 'levels' of EVA suit for different environments is an interesting idea, and very logical, I like it a lot.   But it would add another level of complexity which may or may not be worthwhile.  If it were limited to say 3 types max with the 'higher' levels as part of the ship's inventory that Kerbals automatically use when needed, and can't leave the ship if one isn't available, either because you forgot to bring them, or already being used by others, it could work.

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I think this idea would be great but as a default setting no. But it would be nice to see this by activating a certain setting. You could add this into hard mode.

Now that I'm thinking about it it doesn't have to be a gameplay mechanic or something unlocked with time (I would hate not being able to land somewhere because I don't have the right EVA suit) but just a graphical settings, with the suits, modules and buildings change automatically to adapt to certain environments.

35 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Now that I'm thinking about it it doesn't have to be a gameplay mechanic or something unlocked with time (I would hate not being able to land somewhere because I don't have the right EVA suit) but just a graphical settings, with the suits, modules and buildings change automatically to adapt to certain environments.

As an idea this works for me.

The logic behind having to develop a distinct 'high pressure environment' suit as opposed to a 'vacuum resistant' suit does make sense though.