Anyone know why this is happening with RCS?

When I turn SAS (or MJ) on, RCS actuation turns itself off on Y/P/R but not Translation. I still have directional control of the vessel, and if SAS is off RCS fires as it should to reorient the vessel. This is a real headache for me, as you can imagine.

I figure I did this myself by accident, but can anyone help me fix this? I took a lil gif but it won't upload hopefully it's clear what my issue is.

I think there’s a MechJeb setting to disable the use of RCS for rotation control and just rely on reaction wheels to do that, if you search through the options you might be able to find it. Good for stock- no sense wasting valuable propellant and messing up your trajectory when you can do it for free with easily replenished electricity without changing course- but exactly the opposite for something like RO where reaction wheels are next to useless so RCS is the only way to control your orientation, especially on anything larger than a small probe.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I think there’s a MechJeb setting to disable the use of RCS for rotation control and just rely on reaction wheels to do that, if you search through the options you might be able to find it. Good for stock- no sense wasting valuable propellant and messing up your trajectory when you can do it for free with easily replenished electricity without changing course- but exactly the opposite for something like RO where reaction wheels are next to useless so RCS is the only way to control your orientation, especially on anything larger than a small probe.

Good thought I will take a look at that...

Do you actually need RCS for rotation control? Unless you’re talking about RO or are using a mod that seriously needs reaction wheels, or possibly about a pretty gigantic ship, you should have enough control just using reaction wheels to orient your craft, saving RCS propellant which can then be used for translation instead.

11 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Do you actually need RCS for rotation control? Unless you’re talking about RO or are using a mod that seriously needs reaction wheels, or possibly about a pretty gigantic ship, you should have enough control just using reaction wheels to orient your craft, saving RCS propellant which can then be used for translation instead.

Well, in theory no. But it shouldn't be doing this. It turns itself off in all circumstances and I'd like it to behave as expected.

12 minutes ago, ElonsMusk said:

Well, in theory no. But it shouldn't be doing this. It turns itself off in all circumstances and I'd like it to behave as expected.

Check the settings of every mod that could conceivably affect your controls- TCA would be my first bet- to see if any of them have a setting that disables RCS for rotation control; if you don’t find anything, check the logs to see a) if any mods are changing parameters for anything related to RCS, and/or b) if there are log entries when you enable/disable RCS that mention a specific mod is enabling or disabling rotation controls. You could also check the console (alt+f12, or pause menu > show version information, then click the ‘console’ tab on the left) as this may also have some information.

Also check whether you happen to have the AECS Motion Suppressor mod installed. I recently caught it force-overriding engine gimbal locking settings whenever SAS is steering, regardless of what the player sets in the VAB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.