Jump to content
  • 0

KSP won't run on Ubuntu 20.04


Go to solution Solved by FruitGoose,

Question

I've recently decided to try Ubuntu after using Windows for years, and installed KSP via steam. The game installs and opens without problem, but after the loading screen, the game crashes and freezes my system.

My specs

KSP.log

I'm a completely new to Linux, so I know pretty much nothing about the more technical side of Ubuntu, so if you can help me by simplifying it the most I will be grateful. Also, I've already tried to change to an older driver version, it indeed worked with KSP, but gave me problems with other games. No mods installed apart from the 2 official DLCs. Reinstalled the game at least three times and nothing changed. Please, help me!

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
  • Solution

Is it freezing when it says “expansion loading complete”? Mine does that and takes a good minute to unfreeze and go to main menu. If you try to click etc it does try to crash. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
Posted (edited)

There doesnt seem to be anything out of the ordinary in your KSP.log to indicate an issue, I think...

Maybe try posting your Player.log, if those get created on Linux? vOv

Also, makke sure you have good Nvidia drivers... that always seems to be the biggest issue with installing Linux... and latest isnt *always* the best driver, IIRC

I havent played KSP on an Ubuntu distro in a few years, so hopefully someone moar knowledgable will reply

Edited by Stone Blue
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EaMS said:

Unfortunately it seems that there's no Player.log file on the game directory, would it be in another folder?

Yeah.. thats y I said if those get created on Linux... On Windows, its in the /%User/%Apps/ folder thing...
I'm not sure where/if they are created on MacOS & 'Nix... vOv

Yeah... I know bac when I delved into Ubuntu for a bit, I had to try several drivers till things seemed stable :( vOv

Also depends on how old your GPU is... there was a point (even in Windows), where I couldnt use anything newer than around when I guess support was dropped for my GPU :P

Edited by Stone Blue
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1

Another hit me as I looked at log.

It looks like you running thru steam.

Try navigating to the install directory, open a terminal window and start the KSP.x86_64 executable directly.
As in just "./KSP.x86_64"

Even if it doesn't work there's a good chance that you'll get some hints when it fails.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

There doesnt seem to be anything out of the ordinary in your KSP.log to indicate an issue, I think...

Maybe try posting your Player.log, if those get created on Linux? vOv

Also, makke sure you have good Nvidia drivers... that always seems to be the biggest issue with installing Linux... and latest isnt *always* the best driver, IIRC

I havent played KSP on an Ubuntu distro in a few years, so hopefully someone moar knowledgable will reply

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately it seems that there's no Player.log file on the game directory, would it be in another folder? About the drivers, so I think it will be trial and error until I find a driver that works the best on all of my games, thanks for the advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
31 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

Is it freezing when it says “expansion loading complete”? Mine does that and takes a good minute to unfreeze and go to main menu. If you try to click etc it does try to crash. 

Thanks for the help, I'll try... The habit of clicking is stronger than me

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

Another hit me as I looked at log.

It looks like you running thru steam.

Try navigating to the install directory, open a terminal window and start the KSP.x86_64 executable directly.
As in just "./KSP.x86_64"

Even if it doesn't work there's a good chance that you'll get some hints when it fails.

Thanks for the tip, and you are correct. But even running it directly from the executable the issue remained the same. Also, it doesn't seem that the commands you provided earlier made any difference at my game. But, anyway, I appreciate the help!

Simply waiting away from the computer for somewhat less than a minute (as said by @FruitGoose) worked.

But I would really like if someone could help me understand why exactly this happens...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, EaMS said:

Simply waiting away from the computer for somewhat less than a minute (as said by @FruitGoose) worked.

But I would really like if someone could help me understand why exactly this happens...

It’s a KSP thing, only happens when DLCs are installed on mine. I think it’s to do with something being transferred into RAM (KSP stores all the parts in RAM hence ridiculous load times) although maybe an optimisation issue (see below). 

The other similar thing is when you load/start the game and first press a toolbar button, the cursor changes to a green arrow but there’s an approx 10s freeze before the relevant menu appears. Then every time after that it pops up instantly. It’s like instead of storing it in it’s own drawer of a cabinet with a label and reference etc it’s just thrown everything in a big pile on the floor. So it has to sift through the pile 1st time to find it, but then files it so it can find it quickly after that. 

Glad you sorted though :cool:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

It’s like instead of storing it in it’s own drawer of a cabinet with a label and reference etc it’s just thrown everything in a big pile on the floor. So it has to sift through the pile 1st time to find it, but then files it so it can find it quickly after that. 

Glad you sorted though :cool:

Thank you for the explanation, it made it much clearer! Good analogy, by the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...