What are moderators?

Maria Sirona

So, there are these users called moderators, Vanamonde for instance. What exactly are they? I know they work as the police of sorts of the forums, and that they can for example move threads between forums (like move a thread from Forum Games to Mission Reports), delete posts, and do things like that.

So,

What exactly are moderators?

Oh, I could have so much fun with this... but I'll behave

Simply put, the moderators watch over the forum, and make sure everyone is playing nice.  They are really great people, that put a lot of effort into making sure this is one of the best forums on the internet... And a couple are also good friends  

Edited by Just Jim

7 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Simply put, the moderators watch over the forum, and make sure everyone is playing nice.  They are really great people, that put a lot of effort into making sure this is one of the best forums on the internet... And a couple are also good friends  

And we are also volunteers - we don't get paid to do what we do. We're just regular forum members who have been recruited. I consider it an honor to be able to give back to the forum community in this way.

Oh, and @Just Jim is right...

;)

We don't want to be "police," though. We're here to help keep the forum organized and polite, but also because we'd be hanging around here if even if we weren't moderators. 

Every move you make, every rule you break,
Every post you make, every link you paste, we'll be watching you...

:cool:

No, seriously, we don't go out to find bad things people are doing. Often, @Maria Sirona, folks like you (and the others you see posting here) are the best defense our forum has against things that violate our simple guidelines. If you see something you think is wrong or questionable, don't engage (this got me into a lot of trouble the first few years :P ), but report the post. You can report any post by clicking the three dots in the upper right hand corner and submitting that report.

5 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

And we are also volunteers - we don't get paid to do what we do. We're just regular forum members who have been recruited. I consider it an honor to be able to give back to the forum community in this way.

Oh, and @Just Jim is right...

;)

Oh my! Was this supposed to make me scared? Im scared now. UNLIMITED POWER!

The term "moderate" comes from the notion of moderating discussions, keeping things from getting too heated and keeping the discussion productive.

Ideally, moderators should not need to use their unlimited power, but sometimes they do have to go full-on forum police.

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

You can report any post by clicking the three dots in the upper right hand corner and submitting that report.

Please note that "report" doesn't mean as bad as it sounds.

It's just a tool to alert our most beloved overlords moderators to take a look at a post for them to evaluate ;)

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

Please note that "report" doesn't mean as bad as it sounds.

It's just a tool to alert our most beloved overlords moderators to take a look at a post for them to evaluate ;)

Following up on what Curveball said, you can also use the report button to send the moderators a TOTM submission for a thread you might happen to think is a good candidate. Just make sure to add a quick note why you're sending it.

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

Moderators, the people who bring PEACE! on this wonderful KSP Forums. They're uh--

Moderators bring PEACE, JUSTICE and SECURITY to the empire  to our forums!

3 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

Moderators bring PEACE, JUSTICE and SECURITY to the empire  to our forums!

Yes darth banana (lead moderator) is here with other moderators too keep this a nice and safe (free of rebel scum) online community!

8-F85-B33-E-A3-F9-40-BF-BFCC-E6-BA3-FDA9

Edited by Stormpilot

2 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

Can you sing it for us? :)

lol jk jk

The tune is Every Breath You Take by the Police. Someone has encouraged me to finish out the song. :D I just might have to do that...