Make the inventories of kerbals collapsed by default

Currently, especially with the largest crew cabin in stock(or modded ones) the new 1.11 inventory system clogs the thing, meaning you need to scroll quite a bit, just to transfer crew without a EVA.
then when you collapse it, and close the dialog, it is reexpanded when you right click again, this wastes player's time, and there isnt any benefit, to having it be automatically open

15 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

Currently, especially with the largest crew cabin in stock(or modded ones) the new 1.11 inventory system clogs the thing, meaning you need to scroll quite a bit, just to transfer crew without a EVA.

Yeah it takes up too much space.

Good suggestion!

16 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

the new 1.11 inventory system clogs the thing, meaning you need to scroll quite a bit,
then when you collapse it, and close the dialog, it is reexpanded when you right click again, this wastes player's time, and there isnt any benefit, to having it be automatically open

OMG!....YES!!.... If you play modded at all, the PAW can get quite busy...and having the always-open inventories for *EVERY* crewmember, shown, at the TOP of the list no less, is soooooo aggravating... especially when they are sitting there EMPTY....

The UI in general needs some tweaking. Like remembering its state at any given moment. Be it PAW, expanded staging, maneuver/docking/attitude window in the bottom left, active vessel icons in map mode, part list in VAB, the list goes on.

So, it wont help stock purists, but I was just informed by severedsolo, after I submitted a feature request for this issue, that his mod *already* handles hiding of part inventories... :O  (It also does other PAW awesome stuff, too.

Normal:
vfQ7JZg.png

Hidden:

fCkRn4v.png

Get it here:

Edited by Stone Blue

I wish it was all shunted off to a separate crew-management interface, accessed by a single button on the PAW, and/or one of the mod buttons on the right. The whole inventory system is not a level of granularity I want to manage AT ALL, and I think adding it to stock was a mistake.

Is there a way to like @kspnerd122's idea more than once?!?!?!  That mod looks great, but the stock system still desperately needs to be collapsed by default. 

My main game, I rolled back to 1.10 just to avoid the stock inventory system - there's stuff KIS/KAS has that stock doesn't, and having two inventories was extra annoying - plus the new bugs of 1.11

On 5/8/2021 at 8:03 AM, The Aziz said:

The UI in general needs some tweaking. Like remembering its state at any given moment. Be it PAW, expanded staging, maneuver/docking/attitude window in the bottom left, active vessel icons in map mode, part list in VAB, the list goes on.

Then you end up with the "Windows Taskbar Problem":  You screwed it up and there's no undo.  Now what?

Covering 99% of use cases without pain seems a good compromise.  Fully customizable UI exists to bite you in the ass.  If you must make it stateful, a reset button is a must!

Edited by Corona688

We people who play with a lot of mods tend to call Squad SKWOD, since bugs or oversights become SO much more obvious when you play with mods. Honestly, this needs to be in stock, now, while I do condemm people who think that playing with mods makes them a worse player, but I can understand people who just have to deal with it, like people on consoles or people with bad PCs that cant handle more than a few mods, so they mainly get smaller parts mods, and the occasional planet mod, they arent installing KIS/KAS since there is a stock feature that does similar. Now, honestly, this is one mod that should be pinned, it is SO useful and every player should have it(also, should be put in a special area so that way ALL KSP players will see it, idk, put it in announcements and pin it(along with other useful mods that dont impact preformance too much, e.g, Kerbal engineer redux)

While there are some issues with the stock game and I almost never play bone-stock anymore, name-calling is rather uncalled for. Do note that the original Squad team was made up of amateurs from an advertising company, and the current team doesn't really have the funding to pull out years of legacy code and game design decisions, particularly with KSP 2 on the way.

As to why inventories are the way they are, my guess is that they wanted to highlight the new feature, especially so that veteran players knew it existed. I'd rather there be an option to have them collapsed by default, but there was a good reason to have them that way originally.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:11 PM, kspnerd122 said:

Now, honestly, this is one mod that should be pinned, it is SO useful and every player should have it(also, should be put in a special area so that way ALL KSP players will see it, idk, put it in announcements and pin it

I disagree. What one person finds amazing and un-liveable without, another person can’t see what all the fuss is about. Tbh I’d find expanding the inventory every time I needed to use it really tedious for example. And the other parts of the PAWS aren’t particularly intrusive for me either really so everyone is different.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.