[1.12.X] Rocket Motor Menagerie v1.1.0 - Stockalike Engine Pack

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 4:14 AM, EStreetRockets said:

Hello all! I am currently tidying up bits and bobs to prepare for a v2.0 release in the next 24 hours. 

I recently uploaded a Rescaled 'Cotopaxi' Extra. (It's in the same folder as the RS-800K.) This engine is exactly the same as the regular 'Cotopaxi', but it is the size of the Vector so it can fit with Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit and other SDLV mods meant to use Vector.

I'm not entirely sure how to install it lol

Don't worry I figured it out lol

Edited by Jacktical

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, Fabled_Mike said:

where do i put the extras folder? if i just put it in the RMM folder it doesn't work

Also why is the STME so weak compared to the stock vector?

So you should put each folder within the Extras folder separately into 'GameData'.

The RMM STME (just like all RMM parts) is balanced similarly to BDB and is based on real performance stats. The Vector is not, as it is a stock engine modeled after the SSME. Its in-game performance is not based on real life SSME performance. While the Vector may look like a SSME, it is not a SSME replica.

8 hours ago, EStreetRockets said:

So you should put each folder within the Extras folder separately into 'GameData'.

The RMM STME (just like all RMM parts) is balanced similarly to BDB and is based on real performance stats. The Vector is not, as it is a stock engine modeled after the SSME. Its in-game performance is not based on real life SSME performance. While the Vector may look like a SSME, it is not a SSME replica.

So, since the RMM SSME is meant to be weaker than the patched Vector from redirect, how do we get a shuttle into orbit with it? I have yet to be able to. I use MechJeb with PVG and I generally use the settings in the SOCK manual. This is insufficient to get to orbit with the RMM SSME. Do I need to change settings on the ascent guidance, or is the shuttle too heavy since it's balanced for the Vector?

16 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

So, since the RMM SSME is meant to be weaker than the patched Vector from redirect, how do we get a shuttle into orbit with it? I have yet to be able to. I use MechJeb with PVG and I generally use the settings in the SOCK manual. This is insufficient to get to orbit with the RMM SSME. Do I need to change settings on the ascent guidance, or is the shuttle too heavy since it's balanced for the Vector?

Well, to be completely honest here, I got to orbit on JNSQ first try  with SOCK and RMM SSME flying with Smart A.S.S, I don't know what payload you're trying to push to orbit but I was able to put 16.8 tons (which looks reasonable when you look at IRL shuttle) without any issues

RKNYRtX.png

TWR can be an issue depending on your ascent, so my (completely blind) guess is your climb is not as steep as it should be, because the 1.00 TWR (or lower) after booster jettison will not work without some time to AP to spare and proper pitch management

How do you fly it?

Edited by Kari

Minimal or no payload. I use PVG and set a 350x80 initial orbit. I use Orbital Decay, so my ET eventually falls back into the atmosphere. (In the old JNSQ, 80km was still in the atmosphere.) I set the turn for 0.6 deg/sec, 100m start, and everything else is set at the defaults except for the lag time between burnout and staging, which is set to 0.

2 hours ago, donnager fan said:

I'm pretty sure every mod uses stock sounds, but idk I might be wrong I usually play with sound pretty low.

Waterfall adds it’s own sounds, as well as realplume, and Rocket sound enhancement, and other mods that add their own sounds for their parts (SWE for example)

I've been playing around with the mod so far, but one thing I've noticed is that the SOCK-scaled SSME has a different plume than the non-SOCK SSME. I have waterfall and all dependencies updated, but it's still ending up different. Here's an image of what I mean. 

unknown.png?width=1440&height=453

This was a plume test I did. The top is the normal-scaled Cotopaxi and the second from top is the SOCK-scaled Cotopaxi. Any clues as to why this happens?

EDIT: Never mind! I placed the waterfall config in the wrong place.

Edited by AwesomeDude3664

The SOCK-scaled Cotopaxi patch has an issue with Module Manager and an unresolved bracket on line 31. I realize it's not an actively supported patch , but it breaks the different engine configs for both Cotopaxis if it's used. You can still get the different mounts though.

EDIT: The unresolved brackets are on lines 33-49. The spaces in the @SUBTYPE names are causing the problems. MM recommended replacing the spaces with a ? and that fixes the problem.

Edited by Doc Shaftoe
Information was inaccurate and needed to be changed.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, Doc Shaftoe said:

The SOCK-scaled Cotopaxi patch has an issue with Module Manager and an unresolved bracket on line 31. I realize it's not an actively supported patch , but it breaks the different engine configs for both Cotopaxis if it's used. You can still get the different mounts though.

I just fixed it! You can download from the main branch to get the bug fixes!

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

@EStreetRocketsWhy are the SSMEs so much larger than the Vector engine that you needed to make a patch to rescale the SSME? Is SOCK undersized, or are these engines oversized?

8 minutes ago, Galileo chiu said:

engines are oversized

I don't think so. The irl RS-25s are 2.4m in diameter. Times that by 0.625m to get ksp size and that equals 1.5m. That's 0.375m away from 1.875m and 0.25m away from 1.25m. You could easily round up or down. 

I think the orbiter in SOCK may be a little undersized, though that may be due to the limitation of the ET sizing. At 8.4m irl, that makes it 5m ksp. 8.4m x 0.625 = 5.25m which is closer to 5m than 5.625m. 

@benjee10 would be able to tell us more though since they made the mod. 

On a personal note, I wouldn't mind having a truly KSP sized Orbiter with a custom sized diameter ET to be able to have a full sized KSP sized orbiter, assuming that the orbiter is indeed undersized. The ET isn't legoable, so having a custom sized one wouldn't bother me. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.