Landing zone approach lights

The new lighting fixtures for craft and surface operations introduced in 1.11 are great. However, there's another type of light that would be pretty cool and I think rather simple to add: the landing zone approach light. Basically, a big, powerful light you can place on terrain, visible from a very long distance, like the runway lights on the KSC runway. It wouldn't even have to be a light source in the technical sense (as in, illuminate things, cast shadows, etc.), it would just have to be visible from several km away. 

These would dress up a Munar, Laythe, or Duna base nicely.

5 minutes ago, modus said:

Do you mean visible from the physics loading distance?

It'd be cool if they were visible from even further off, but 2.5 km ought to be enough for most purposes.

6 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

It'd be cool if they were visible from even further off

Agreed, but unless you use physics loader extender (or whatever it's called), that's gonna be hard I think.

But I really like this idea!

5 minutes ago, modus said:

Agreed, but unless you use physics loader extender (or whatever it's called), that's gonna be hard I think.

I expect they could use the same code they have to make the KSC runway lights visible, but since this would be an extremely niche feature probably not worth it. Any landing zone you’re likely to set up would be pretty small from over 2.5 klicks anyway.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Just place 4 things, parts, flags, debris, whatever on the landing zone corners and you know where it is. I think it covers the "visible from several km away" part.

This is what I do. Landing zone lights would just be much cooler.

Mods that let you build runway landing lights visible from 25 kms

• Kerbal Konstructs
  • Kerbin Side Remastered (has parts for runway landing lights. You can delete the bases you don't want and just use the parts to add to the runways you do want.)

But... it would be nice to have the functionality in stock .

30 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Mods that let you build runway landing lights visible from 25 kms

Ha! I was wondering when somebody would point out that there's a mod for that :D

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.