SWITCH PORT?!?!

JSlone

Why would they go outta their way to put it on the wii u when it was a failure, and not put it on the switch when its such a raging success??? I think it'd be awesome if it found its way on switch. Do ya'll agree or disagree? lemme know!!!

54 minutes ago, JSlone said:

Why would they go outta their way to put it on the wii u when it was a failure, and not put it on the switch when its such a raging success??? I think it'd be awesome if it found its way on switch. Do ya'll agree or disagree? lemme know!!!

Like, wii u is cheaper lol.

On 5/8/2021 at 6:45 PM, MechBFP said:

They didn't. It was cancelled.
Regardless the switch's CPU is ridiculously weak. 1 GHZ if I remember correctly.

I mean, being 1GHz doesn't make it inherently weak or even slow depending on IPC, architecture etc. etc.

But in this particular case.... yes :P it would be diabolical haha

2 hours ago, MR L A said:

I mean, being 1GHz doesn't make it inherently weak or even slow depending on IPC, architecture etc. etc.

But all of that would demand a pretty serious rewrite of KSP's guts - this thing is heavily tied to C# "way of life".

You could probably port a very strict subset of KSP on Sega Saturn if you really want - as long you rewrite the whole thing to cope with DSP's and other shenanigans (what made the Saturn and the incredibly messy MegaDrive with peripherals interesting to code at home, but a nightmare to do it professionally).

2 hours ago, MR L A said:

But in this particular case.... yes :P it would be diabolical haha

On the other hand... Controlling the Kerbal on EVA using motion controllers would be absolutely fantastic. Hummm... .Time to grab some cheap aftermarket Wii Remote & Nunchuck...

Edited by Lisias
Of cuorse, a tyop!

On 5/11/2021 at 10:39 AM, ArtemisAZ said:

Switch just doesn't have the same power behind it to handle a game like KSP unfortunately, could totally see a little 2D spin off type game though for it though.

Uh... Not exactly. :)

KSP is terribly unoptimised, so the current memory footprint is problematic even on more powerful gaming rigs as the PS4. But on a closed subset of the game, you can optimize enough to be useable on it.

The KSP main CPU bottlenecks are the PQS system (the "planets") and the Physics Engine. If someone manages to implement something very simplified but yet useable, a subset of KSP is feasible to be implemented on the Switch.

Granted - if that subset would be interesting enough to attract players is something to be discussed, no doubt. Being feasible is something, being lucrative is a completely different beast.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:46 PM, Bej Kerman said:

If one of these 'toys' isn't a computer, what is it doing when I boot it up - other than computing?

The list of things a standard PC possesses and a Switch/android/phone lacks includes, but is not limited to:

• Memory size
  • Memory speed
  • Disk size
  • Disk speed
  • CPU cache size
  • CPU speed
  • I/O capacity

They trade everything of value to make these portable devices fit in a tiny case.

So, if a standard PC struggles to run it, a stripped-down portable is going to be hilarious to watch try.

Edited by Corona688

The switch, being a mobile platform, is best compared to mobile phones in terms of specs.

I'd actually ignore the switch and ask the more financially interesting question of making this work on a phone. 

Both don't seem reasonably possible, so I can't see this game happening on the switch due to the technical constraints. 

KSP isn't a lightweight game to run when it comes to the underlying math and physics.

On 5/16/2021 at 2:40 AM, Corona688 said:
On 5/13/2021 at 11:46 PM, Bej Kerman said:

If one of these 'toys' isn't a computer, what is it doing when I boot it up - other than computing?

The list of things a standard PC possesses and a Switch/android/phone lacks includes, but is not limited to:

• Memory size
  • Memory speed
  • Disk size
  • Disk speed
  • CPU cache size
  • CPU speed
  • I/O capacity

They trade everything of value to make these portable devices fit in a tiny case.

So, if a standard PC struggles to run it, a stripped-down portable is going to be hilarious to watch try.

It's not good enough to run a very poorly optimised game that can simulate hundreds of vessels and parts at the same time It's probably good enough to run anything else but that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.