Question about nerfing Science Lab with .cfg

Hi, I'd like to edit the science lab in a .cfg to make it less OP.

Few questions regarding  ModuleScienceConverter :

" dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate " -> If I tweak this down, say to 0.1 will this make research slower ?

- " scientistBonus = 0.25    //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x " -> can I totally disable this feature ? And if yes, how...

- " researchTime = 7        //Larger = slower.  Exponential! " -> Is there an upper limit for this value ? Can I go above 10 for instance ?

Thanks a lot ! :)

Edited by kurgut

On 5/8/2021 at 1:18 PM, kurgut said:

" dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate " -> If I tweak this down, say to 0.1 will this make research slower?

It should, but keep in mind that the rate of science production is a fairly complicated mathematical process; it operates on a logarithmic decay model and so reducing this multiplier by a factor of five may only reduce the initial rate by that much.  It may be a linear multiplier applied to the output of the logarithmic decay, or it may work out that later research when the initial store of data points is depleted may be slowed by significantly more--possibly by enough to create an effective standstill even with a large amount of data still in the lab.  To get the effect you want, I'd suggest changing the scienceMultiplier value to 1, instead, to reduce the total science conversion.

- " scientistBonus = 0.25    //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x " -> can I totally disable this feature ? And if yes, how...

Change it to 0.   If the game throws an error for that, then change it to .001 as you see in the atmospheric thrust curves for engines' cutoff pressure.

- " researchTime = 7        //Larger = slower.  Exponential! " -> Is there an upper limit for this value ? Can I go above 10 for instance ?

I have not tried it, but I assume so.  Without knowing the equation that governs the time calculation, I can't tell you what changing it would do aside from what it says on the tin.

I'd personally suggest reducing the science conversion and eliminating the scientist bonus before changing the processing rate.  Changing too many factors at once may nerf the lab to the point of uselessness, in which case I'd say to just comment out ModuleScienceConverter and play without that function.

thanks, yeah I tried :

dataProcessingMultiplier 0.1 and research time to 10, and a material study from kerbin would take 2000 years to research, just hoave to fiddle with those value indeed to match what I want.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.