What is your favorite place to go in KSP?

Wizard Kerbal

What's your favorite place to go? Even if it's close, or just views across the solar system, if it gives you joy to visit, then specify the place and the first time you visited it, and why it’s your favorite.

My favorite places are Vistas in general, on Mun and Duna. It started with a botched Duna landing that left me on the edge of a crater. The vast, red landscape was beautiful, but terrifying. I promptly left.

Then on the Mun farming science I got a great view on one the edge of a canyon.

But, my favorite celestial body is Ike. When landing on Duna, it's basically a treat for me to take my mother ship there.  Or, recently, I learned it's relatively easy to do small direct descent/ascent missions. (Thanks Dr. Kerbal!)

Edited by Wizard Kerbal
I forgot to put why. That was the point of this thread, to explain why

On 5/9/2021 at 6:34 PM, Wizard Kerbal said:

What's your favorite place to go? Even if it's close, or just views across the solar system, if it gives you joy to visit, then specify the place and the first time you visited it.

Laythe. There's a near-equatorial landmass with a flat bit and a lake and a terrific view of Jool. It's cosy. 

My first visit was when I built my first Kosmodrome there. It was a ton of fun. I had just learned to make SSTOs so I hauled everything there with them, in enormously fun and pretty creative but actually rather badly-designed spaceplanes. I've gone back since with much more efficient designs but it hasn't been anywhere near as much fun as the time I hauled the Massive-Kerguson space tractor there, which I needed to haul stuff around and provide extra electrical power to my refineries. It's a shame the frame rate dropped into the single digits with all my craft parked there.

Here's Val scouting for the place in the JUNO MIDGE. The lake is visible at left.

4OBTRjs.png

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

You literally posted there. And there's a link to yet another thread like this, if you wanted to elaborate, you could've done it in either of those.

To be fair, I can see a distinction between one's favorite celestial body, and the favorite place to go.

Jool and laythe, for example, maybe one's favorite celestial body one their own... but maybe minmus/mun are the favorite places to go because the journey is quick, relatively easy, and you can depart at any time.

For the record, in career, I have been to moho more than I have been to jool, probably Eve, and perhaps Duna... because the transfer windows come often, and the transfers are fast. In a long save with multiple missions going on, I may have a jool mission depart, but it nearly never arrives before a new version drops, or I try a new mod, and start over. So as far as actually completing a mission (there and back) in a persistent save (as opposed to a save that I make to conduct a single mission, such as a mission to Eeloo), I might say my favorite places to go are Mun, Minmus, and Moho, because they take such little game time.

They are not my favorite bodies on their own though... and if I play Duna space program, they aren't so attractive

Well stated @KerikBalm

Haven't been in quite a while, but my favorite place is probably Laythe - and just about the same spot @Brikoleur pointed out I think.  Nice views & good areas for landing & bases, and very close to the equator.  I can't find any good ground shots that show Jool in the sky to compare.  

I usually put down a small ground base for refueling the Laythe spaceplane, and a larger floating base, then either a rover to drive from the LZ to shore and a boat to get to the floating base or the rover will be amphibious & make the trip itself.   This image was from when I finally loaded up Scatterer for the first time.  First place I went to check out, since I had just made the trip the day before

ncOLMd7h.png?1

As for why I like it?  What's not to like - a water world with breathable air, stunning images of Jool in the sky, & the perfect world for spaceplanes.  And now geysers.  

Honorable mention goes to Duna & Minmus.  Duna has some pretty spectacular views too and Minmus is just plain fun & close to home.

Edited by Cavscout74

On 5/10/2021 at 4:43 AM, The Aziz said:

You literally posted there. And there's a link to yet another thread like this, if you wanted to elaborate, you could've done it in either of those.

I posted there BECAUSE people linked it, within my same post here. I didn't know about that post until people here linked it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.