Steam KSP Performance on Macbook

Ok, so a Macbook Pro is not a gaming laptop, I'm the first to admit that. But its a Core i7 with 16GB of RAM and a Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB. Its more than enough for the game requirements.

Saying all that, the loading windows take a lot of time (4 or 5min). Also after playing for 2 hours, the game starts to lag and the ships start to move frame by frame. This happen specially with the big ships.

Is there any configuration file to change?
Give more resources to the game, etc. Normally, I only have the game open when I play, so there are resources available.

Thanks

Short answer is no.

Long answer is nooooooooooooooo.

Only tips I can offer are:

(1) don’t play through steam. Play via the shortcut inside the KSP folder.

(2) Check you’ve turned off debris in the options. Obviously the longer you play, the more debris gathers.

(3) Same with ships with large part counts. 

(4) Same with number of total flights on the go.

(5) Disable any unused network adapters (not sure if this is applicable on Mac but it’s a Unity bug so might be).

(6) if no improvements after above, restarting the game might be required each time it starts to lag.

I would also suggest trying not using steam, see if that improves your performance.

I'm using a MBP with specs a little less than yours, with no problems.  I don't play KSP through steam..  My MBP is a dual-core i5, 16G RAM, Iris Plus 650 graphics.  I do turn down some of the graphics settings, but that's a difference I notice right away.  In your case, you seem to see a performance drop after a few hours.

Maybe your chips are getting too hot, and throttling themselves back?  If that's the case, turning down some of the graphics settings might help.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, radicaled said:

Ok, so a Macbook Pro is not a gaming laptop, I'm the first to admit that. But its a Core i7 with 16GB of RAM and a Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB. Its more than enough for the game requirements.

Saying all that, the loading windows take a lot of time (4 or 5min). Also after playing for 2 hours, the game starts to lag and the ships start to move frame by frame. This happen specially with the big ships.

Is there any configuration file to change?
Give more resources to the game, etc. Normally, I only have the game open when I play, so there are resources available.

Thanks

I have an older i5 core and 12 GBs of RAM  with Steam and a similar thing tends to happens to me with larger ships. It's part of the nature of KSP in that it tends to run really slow when you have super big part count ships. In fact, the Space Station in my signature (RIP Save File) gave me really bad FPS when I partially took it apart and reassembled it but it was really fun to do. I think I was getting like 10 FPS with this being the only thing in Physics range.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.