The Jool Diver Challenge: Let Us Explore the Depths of Jool

On 8/3/2021 at 8:31 AM, ColdJ said:

It's not the means of thrust that is the problem. It is the fact that the game takes away your ability to control your craft. About all I could see you doing is come in really hard, slam on full vertical throttle before 5 km and see how far you dip in before your full thrust slows you and then starts you back up, while you watch but can't affect.

I have not experienced this at all when doing Jool returns.  Are you sure you didn't lose connection to the ksc or something like that?

4 hours ago, Lt_Duckweed said:

I have not experienced this at all when doing Jool returns.  Are you sure you didn't lose connection to the ksc or something like that?

2 hours ago, camacju said:

Guessing they've got atmospheric occlusion cranked up

Nothing cranked nothing lost. Was a fully manned ship. Squad have little things programmed in to make you lose control in certain situations. So unless you can prove that you went below 5km from the surface and while there were able to change and control the thrust of your ship then it stands that you can't adjust under 5km. The same when you touch sea bed on Kerbin at around 1300m down, where the smiley face is. It is nice and calm till you touch and then you lose all control and your ship tears itself apart.

9 hours ago, Lt_Duckweed said:

it was already posted earlier in this thread

No. What was posted was a very nicely produced video that goes to beauty shot and music at the critcal juncture that would show you adjusting things like thrust. Not to mention that I was talking about descending a rocket thrusting craft down and then trying to climb it back out again. What you show is coming in at a shallow angle with a prop driven craft that may not of had it's throttle adjusted at any time and if set up right before dropping past the critical height would probably slowly curve without outside input from you to eventually climb back out of the dead zone of it's own accord.

Your craft design is very creative and makes good use of KSP quirks. And yes Kudos to you on successfully getting that low and back. You definitely fufilled the challenge brief. But you didn't show proof that you can adjust your throttle input once down that low. Which is what I was asking for.

9Nox6rg.pngbZPoDDo.png

11 hours ago, camacju said:

I highly doubt that - seems more like you are running into kraken effects. I've done -100m Jool dives before and experienced no loss of control, as well as -2km submarine dives.

How when you explode at -370 metres? And where exactly have you done - 2km sub dives. Not on Kerbin because the lowest the sea floor gets is minus 1400 odd metres. I have walked a Kerbal around down there to find the lowest point. Will have to find my old post of me doing that.

Edited by ColdJ

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

No. What was posted was a very nicely produced video that goes to beauty shot and music at the critcal juncture that would show you adjusting things like thrust. Not to mention that I was talking about descending a rocket thrusting craft down and then trying to climb it back out again. What you show is coming in at a shallow angle with a prop driven craft that may not of had it's throttle adjusted at any time and if set up right before dropping past the critical height would probably slowly curve without outside input from you to eventually climb back out of the dead zone of it's own accord.

Your craft design is very creative and makes good use of KSP quirks. And yes Kudos to you on successfully getting that low and back. You definitely fufilled the challenge brief. But you didn't show proof that you can adjust your throttle input once down that low. Which is what I was asking for.

Why would you be discussing rocket engines though? Every rocket engine in the game produces 0 thrust when near Jool 0 altitude because the atmospheric pressure is so high.

Also, you can belive me or not.  But I have had 0 issues with controlling throttle and all other functions of a craft at Jool 0 altitude.  This is across multiple varying ssto designs.

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

How when you explode at -370 metres?

I simply don't get that low :D

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

And where exactly have you done - 2km sub dives. Not on Kerbin because the lowest the sea floor gets is minus 1400 odd metres. I have walked a Kerbal around down there to find the lowest point. Will have to find my old post of me doing that.

Ah, I see you haven't visited Laythe or Eve yet

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.