KSP Loading... Preview: New Solar Panels

2 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

1)why the have handles, thought the open automatic (ok looking good)

All solar panels can be opened by hand. (Didn't learn that one until someone mentioned it, after playing  for a few years.)

Yay!!! More sizes of solar panels to use. I'm hoping one day to get stock multi axis tracking panels like whats featured in Chop Shop.

Edited by shdwlrd

Ahh sweet! These really got me going "ooh" and "ahh" like it was a firework show.

The mrs told me to shush :)

Could anyone answer me this... how come some part revamps are a completely new part and others are just a reskin? And crucially, what's will it be for these panels? Only I might put some work on hold because I don't fancy changing all the solar panels again lol :)

Also, I know im venturing into gameplay updates rather than lovely retexutes, but I hope this is indicative of a rework of the electrical system :)

I think it would be awesome to have crewed parts require ec over time (like how the science lab does when its working only) - as a settings option ofc :)

1 hour ago, Cubefish00 said:

Looks good!
It's great to finally see something in between the gigantor and the smaller folding panels.

Not quite sure about that. The folding panels we have now are six segment, while these new rectangular ones are five segment... Harder to say on the circle, and it doesn't help that the wiki doesn't give the dimensions for the existing ones.

A pet peeve of mine. I know that English isn't the first language of all the development team, and its irregularities are also sometimes a bit tricky. But "craft" is such a basic word for KSP that it pains the figurative ears to read it misspelled so often. The correct plural of "craft" is "craft" - not "crafts". At least that's so for the sort of craft relevant to KSP. One can talk about "arts and crafts", but that's a different sort of "craft".

P.S. Otherwise looking forward to 1.12.

5 hours ago, Dientus said:

Wow those look really nice! Just trying to clarify, these are in addition to the solar panels already in game I assume.. are all solar panels going to get a remake or are these just being added to it? @KSPStar

Correct, these are new parts. 

They look like bigger solar panels? Nice

Will be interesting to find out their power generation potential.

One little suggestion that I think I have suggested before:

Extending solar panel added to staging? pretty please? ;)

I have '1' designated to solar panel extending, but the chances of forgetting are still there. seeing in the staging would increase my chances of extending them before I lose all EC 

due to my own forgetfulness

Very nice. These look about the right size for a Soyuz; Gigantors are too big for it whereas the others are too small. Now all we need is a return capsule with that domed shape...

p02d91y8.jpg

12 hours ago, Paaaad said:

Not quite sure about that. The folding panels we have now are six segment, while these new rectangular ones are five segment... Harder to say on the circle, and it doesn't help that the wiki doesn't give the dimensions for the existing ones.

First of all, I heavily doubt that they would add even smaller Solar panels. Second: the new solar panels are about 5,5m tall, while the height of a kerbal is 0,75m  (https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbal), so these panels are definitely a lot bigger than the current folding ones.

21 hours ago, KSPStar said:

Hello everyone!

4 brand new photovoltaic panels are arriving at the KSC in the upcoming 1.12 PC update, including enhanced versions of the SP and OX-4 series, but also two large circular retractable solar panels to let your craft travel in the vacuum of space with style! Check them out!

wSFCNfM.png

EpRCcwM.png

lTk0Wcp.png

2ttlhPd.png

the circular solar panel looks like it would look nice on big interplanetary ships, also looks like it would be satisfying to open

Edited by DJDoesKSP

33 minutes ago, DJDoesKSP said:

the circular solar panel looks like it would look nice on big interplanetary ships, also looks like it would be satisfying to open

Full disclosure... I spent a lot of the time building that just sitting there and watching the animation on a loop :D

24 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Isn't it Making History?

There are spherical ones that would work as a basis for the leftmost module (Onion, Pea, Pomegranate). I'm talking about the bell-shaped middle module, however. There isn't anything like that in stock or official DLCs. The Mk 1 is too small, the Gemini-like one is too pointy, and the Apollo-like one is too big. If you want one you need to sculpt it somehow...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.