KSP Loading... Preview: New Solar Panels

With the discussion on other electrical parts, while Ven’s Z-100 looks good if perhaps too intricate and Restock’s Z-100 looks good and fits its artstyle, I really like how our Z-100 looks like a pair of consumer cylindrical batteries, as the part description would imply. It’s fitting with the informal theme of the Kerbal space program, and just a darn good visual gag. The model could definitely stand an update, though. 

3 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

I'm curious if the circular solar panels deploy correctly? the way the panels are oriented when stowed doesnt seem correct relative to when deployed unknown.png

Looks to me like they slide out from under each other and lock “up” based on the model. Not sure how that’s supposed to work mechanically, but they don’t appear to fold out accordion-style like the picture you’ve got.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:03 PM, Minmus Taster said:

Those first ones look...

Familiar.

They are probably just reskins of the old ones. Like the restock mod, but in the vanilla game.

9 minutes ago, SpacePerson said:

They are probably just reskins of the old ones. Like the restock mod, but in the vanilla game.

SHHhhhhhhhhhh, We're not supposed to know that.

Edited by Atomic Engineer

18 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

That's not what I meant.

I meant they looked like rosseta's panels.

Oh ok. But look! almost 69 posts from KSPStar! Nice.

On 5/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, Xurkitree said:

Will Gigantors be getting an update? Or more massive solar arrays?

Will Gigantors be getting an update? Or more massive solar arrays?

Speaking of electronics, is there hope for a mid-game RTG? Nothing powerful, it can be super inefficient but come mid-game tech-tree to serve as backup power supply for distant probes.

Yeah I was hoping for that too. I have been for a while now :/ 

did you say CIRCULAR RETRACTABLE SOLAR PANEL? if yes (and yes you said that) i really want it! and 4 new solar panelz? awesome!!!! oh yeah, when will 1.12 released?

Edited by JB182

On 5/14/2021 at 3:20 PM, Brikoleur said:

There are spherical ones that would work as a basis for the leftmost module (Onion, Pea, Pomegranate). I'm talking about the bell-shaped middle module, however. There isn't anything like that in stock or official DLCs. The Mk 1 is too small, the Gemini-like one is too pointy, and the Apollo-like one is too big. If you want one you need to sculpt it somehow...

Use a 1.875m fairing and make one yourself.

Here's an old one I made:

https://kerbalx.com/Exhonor/R-7-Soyuz-OLD

5 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

Use a 1.875m fairing and make one yourself.

Nice Soyuz!

Yeah that's what I meant by "sculpting it somehow." I've also used flags, they're lighter and tidier because they don't have the thick fairing base.

Even so, a bell-shaped return module would be nice...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.