NEW KERBOL PLANET!!!

Skip to 6:29

Holy...

And look at this.

Spoiler

n a forum post from late 2013,[1] Squad member Jeff C.(NovaSilisko) described an idea he had for connecting many easter eggs into a story concerning a civilization which predated the Kerbals. Experiments with interstellar travel resulted in the homeworld of this "precursor civilization" being flung out into an extremely distant orbit. Before they froze to death, they launched monoliths and other messages onto many planets and moons in hopes of seeding intelligent life. Instead, they created Kerbals, not-so-intelligent life.

The planet would not show up in any map and would be too distant to be observed with a telescope, making locating it by chance nearly impossible. However, players would be able to find transmitters beaming out SSTV signals on various bodies, each one of which would provide part of the orbital parameters necessary to locate it. The planet would be a bit smaller than Kerbin, covered in ruined cities and frozen oceans, and perpetually in twilight due to being so far from Kerbol.

The only element of this narrative which made it into the game is the SSTV transmitter on Duna, which transmits an image originally intended to depict 4 members of the precursor civilization standing on their homeworld, with the logo of their government. Had the narrative story been completed, it would also have contained part of the orbital parameters. Because the story was never implemented into the game, this explanation for the SSTV signal's imagery is arguably non-canon.[2]

What do you think about this?

Edited by Minmus Taster

I wouldn't say new planet just yet, since it is just the tutorial, but we'll see

Looks promising though, nice find, too bad I don't do the breakdowns anymore.

Read this from the KSP wiki:

In a forum post from late 2013,[1] Squad member Jeff C.(NovaSilisko) described an idea he had for connecting many easter eggs into a story concerning a civilization which predated the Kerbals. Experiments with interstellar travel resulted in the homeworld of this "precursor civilization" being flung out into an extremely distant orbit. Before they froze to death, they launched monoliths and other messages onto many planets and moons in hopes of seeding intelligent life. Instead, they created Kerbals, not-so-intelligent life.

The planet would not show up in any map and would be too distant to be observed with a telescope, making locating it by chance nearly impossible. However, players would be able to find transmitters beaming out SSTV signals on various bodies, each one of which would provide part of the orbital parameters necessary to locate it. The planet would be a bit smaller than Kerbin, covered in ruined cities and frozen oceans, and perpetually in twilight due to being so far from Kerbol.

The only element of this narrative which made it into the game is the SSTV transmitter on Duna, which transmits an image originally intended to depict 4 members of the precursor civilization standing on their homeworld, with the logo of their government. Had the narrative story been completed, it would also have contained part of the orbital parameters. Because the story was never implemented into the game, this explanation for the SSTV signal's imagery is arguably non-canon.[2]

Could this be part of that?

3 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Could this be part of that?

IDK, but NovaSilisko left Squad years ago, The SSTV transmitter is there, but it's super annoying (Video is set to time it's at): 

I wouldn't say the KSP 2 team is planning to add the old storymode plan. After all, it's old, and you would probably need @NovaSilisko to join back and make it work, both of those reasons are enough for me to say it wouldn't be part of the new planet

Just now, The Doodling Astronaut said:

IDK, but NovaSilisko left Squad years ago, The SSTV transmitter is there, but it's super annoying (Video is set to time it's at): 

I wouldn't say the KSP 2 team is planning to add the old storymode plan. After all, it's old, and you would probably need @NovaSilisko to join back and make it work, both of those reasons are enough for me to say it wouldn't be part of the new planet

I know but it's fun to dream.

Just now, Minmus Taster said:

I know but it's fun to dream.

I guess :P 

I'm somone who puts my expectations very low on games, that way I don't get disappointed 99% of the time

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

Skip to 6:29

Holy...

What do you think about this?

Probably meant to be a reference to the possible Planet 9 of the solar system? I wonder if they're going to call it "Planet 8"

Just now, Minmus Taster said:

That's what I thought at first to.

Especially since theres question marks around it as if they dont know if its actually there or not

I would love a mystery aspect of KSP 2, where you have to send out probes to find new planets/moons

Interesting to see that KSP is supposed to be a total integrated experience, not a bunch of things bolted together. Mentioning this for the ones who wonder why development takes so long.

Couldn't it just be Eeloo? I guess you'd expect to see Dres represented too, but it is just from a tutorial and I'm pretty sure they've said that the Kerbol System will be unchanged in KSP2. 

On 5/16/2021 at 12:41 AM, Dr. Kerbal said:

I hope the Kerbol systems does get Gas Giant 2 It almost made it to the game but @NovaSilisko left the KSP Team.

There will be no major changes in the Kerbol system (W the planet in the tutorial being an easter egg) Gas Planet 2 is not happening.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I wouldn't say the KSP 2 team is planning to add the old storymode plan. After all, it's old, and you would probably need ~~antiping~~ to join back and make it work, both of those reasons are enough for me to say it wouldn't be part of the new planet

NovaSikisko hasn't sent a copyright strike against Outer Wilds for having a similar premise to his story, so a new planet you have to find by piecing information together isn't out of the question just because a team member from many years back had a similar idea.