NEW KERBOL PLANET!!!

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

NovaSikisko hasn't sent a copyright strike against Outer Wilds for having a similar premise to his story, so a new planet you have to find by piecing information together isn't out of the question just because a team member from many years back had a similar idea.

It's not a copyright thing, it's getting the story right.

But that's getting close to not being on topic

On 5/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I guess :P 

I'm somone who puts my expectations very low on games, that way I don't get disappointed 99% of the time

I agree. It's sad, so many games could be so good but they just aren't.

i heard theyre just gonna keep the kerbol system the same, except for visual improvements. thet ??? planet is probably a kerbol theory on planet 9 (or for kerbals, planet 7)

I remember them saying that the original kerbal system would stay the same in this game, so the only reason that they'd add another planet in KSP2 is if they were... adding another... to KSP...

*Moment of realization*

Edited by Yellowburn10

On 5/24/2021 at 10:51 PM, Yellowburn10 said:

I remember them saying that the original kerbal system would stay the same in this game, so the only reason that they'd add another planet in KSP2 is if they were... adding another... to KSP...

*Moment of realization*

Maybe that will be our 10th anniversary gift? This is probably just speculation lol but they said that they're "Leading up to something special".

38 minutes ago, Lithobrake said:

Maybe that will be our 10th anniversary gift? This is probably just speculation lol but they said that they're "Leading up to something special".

Can someone find my mind it ran away.

17 hours ago, Lithobrake said:

:awe:That is just crazy plausible enough... Yep there went my mind too.

To match KSP2... Hmmmm

On 5/28/2021 at 10:31 AM, Lithobrake said:

And the name "Something more?" at the end of Episode 3 could be involved somehow too

On 5/22/2021 at 4:11 PM, Bej Kerman said:

I don't think we need Nova to have a good story.

The game is trying to be faithful to the original, to have a story that isn't Nova's just feels faithless to original

4 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

The game is trying to be faithful to the original, to have a story that isn't Nova's just feels faithless to original

KSP2 isn't using any of the original devs though and, besides the core mechanics and concepts, the game is vastly different from the original. I don't see how something like this is a bad thing

12 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:
On 5/22/2021 at 11:11 PM, Bej Kerman said:

I don't think we need Nova to have a good story.

If we wanna be faithful, then getting to planet 7 should help unlock a new warp drive. But that won't happen.

2 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

If we wanna be faithful, then getting to planet 7 should help unlock a new warp drive. But that won't happen.

there will be no warp drives

Well, yeah, I just said that

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 7:34 AM, Bej Kerman said:

Not a warp drive, but it could lead to the Dedalus engine or the torch engine (that Nate Simpson mentioned in the first KSP2 episode.). 

4 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Not a warp drive, but it could lead to the Dedalus engine or the torch engine (that Nate Simpson mentioned in the first KSP2 episode.). 

No. Please don’t force players to find a hidden planet that would be several times harder than Eeloo to find even IF you could see it.

This would heavily hurt sandbox players, people who want to do craftfile sharing, everyone who sees the parts in trailers and screenshots and YouTube videos, and basically everyone who isn’t part of a dedicated KSP community- probably >75% right now, and even more with KSP2 being more accessible and published by an AAA studio.

Easter eggs should be cosmetics at most- and usually I prefer to see them as additional story points, or jokes between developers and players.

Even not-completely-serious parts like those from the mod “Kraken Science” probably don’t belong as Easter eggs, nevermind integral parts of the game and its progression.

11 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

No. Please don’t force players to find a hidden planet that would be several times harder than Eeloo to find even IF you could see it.

This would heavily hurt sandbox players, people who want to do craftfile sharing, everyone who sees the parts in trailers and screenshots and YouTube videos, and basically everyone who isn’t part of a dedicated KSP community- probably >75% right now, and even more with KSP2 being more accessible and published by an AAA studio.

Easter eggs should be cosmetics at most- and usually I prefer to see them as additional story points, or jokes between developers and players.

Even not-completely-serious parts like those from the mod “Kraken Science” probably don’t belong as Easter eggs, nevermind integral parts of the game and its progression.

Ya your right. Sorry. 

7 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I'm all against locking tech progression behind a single specific achievement, but sure enough if you want a serious progression mode you need the progression last way past mun and minmus.

I hope for a game in which we'll be visiting Jool's moons and still have more than half of the tech tree to unlock.

10 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

When did anyone say that this would be enforced outside career/story?

On 6/26/2021 at 4:08 AM, Master39 said:

I hope for a game in which we'll be visiting Jool's moons and still have more than half of the tech tree to unlock.

I think that's much more reasonable with KSP2 than KSP, anyways. In KSP, you either had to squeeze all the biomes for science, including a bunch of KSC biomes, which always feels a bit like an exploit, to have half of the tree unlocked, or you need to go to the Mun without a lot of the tech that I'd consider "essential" for that sort of mission to not be a frustration. And if you did squeeze biomes for science, then by the time you'd be done with Kerbin system, you had most of the tech tree unlocked. A couple of flights to Duna and Eve and you were done with career mode. It's not a great balance either way you end up playing it.

In KSP2, tech scales up a lot more. That LANTR engine they've shown of recently would make a lot of SSTO designs trivial, but then it can also be locked way on the far end of the tech tree. There's just so much more to unlock that you don't need for early interplanetary gameplay that it'd totally make sense to lock some of it away behind exploration of outer planets.

I would even not be upset if there were multiple science "currencies". Like, you can get basic science from Kerbin system and inner planets, but you need some "advanced" science that you can only get from outer planets if you want to research the upper echelons of the tech tree. Alternatively, keep something like current science system in place, but add "achievements" that have to be met as part of the unlock condition. These could be recovering science from SOI or surface of certain objects, for example. So long as they give you a bit of flexibility on how you go about it, I don't think it's undue challenge to get a probe to any of the outer planets or moons. In a game where you have to go interstellar just to visit all the places, that doesn't seem like a big ask at all.

9 minutes ago, K^2 said:

I think that's much more reasonable with KSP2 than KSP, anyways. In KSP, you either had to squeeze all the biomes for science, including a bunch of KSC biomes, which always feels a bit like an exploit, to have half of the tree unlocked, or you need to go to the Mun without a lot of the tech that I'd consider "essential" for that sort of mission to not be a frustration. And if you did squeeze biomes for science, then by the time you'd be done with Kerbin system, you had most of the tech tree unlocked. A couple of flights to Duna and Eve and you were done with career mode. It's not a great balance either way you end up playing it.

In KSP2, tech scales up a lot more. That LANTR engine they've shown of recently would make a lot of SSTO designs trivial, but then it can also be locked way on the far end of the tech tree. There's just so much more to unlock that you don't need for early interplanetary gameplay that it'd totally make sense to lock some of it away behind exploration of outer planets.

I would even not be upset if there were multiple science "currencies". Like, you can get basic science from Kerbin system and inner planets, but you need some "advanced" science that you can only get from outer planets if you want to research the upper echelons of the tech tree. Alternatively, keep something like current science system in place, but add "achievements" that have to be met as part of the unlock condition. These could be recovering science from SOI or surface of certain objects, for example. So long as they give you a bit of flexibility on how you go about it, I don't think it's undue challenge to get a probe to any of the outer planets or moons. In a game where you have to go interstellar just to visit all the places, that doesn't seem like a big ask at all.

I think the tech tree in KSP2 will more or less look like this, with a much bigger tech tree such that the amount of science on kerbin won't do much.