Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 3 - Next Gen Astronauts

Happy Friday! There's no Show and Tell today, but we do have a brand new feature video for you. 

In Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 3 - Next Gen Astronauts @Intercept Games devs talk about their mission to onboard the next generation of space industry experts with KSP2’s new tutorials, UI/UX improvements, quality of life features, and more. 

As I mentioned in the thread on the KSP 2 discussion forum thread:

"This is definitely my favorite episode so far out of the 3. Very well put together.

Love the procedural wings, hope those are here to stay.
Love the improved VAB, especially the 2D view that will make some things much quicker/easier to accomplish.
Love being able to build multiple assemblies at the same time independently in the VAB.
I was somewhat on the fence regarding the tutorials before, but after seeing some more in this video I am liking the direction you are going with them."

"Posted 4 hours ago"

Lies! I've been checking every section of the forum since it dropped and nothing :mad:

I'm gonna just copy my other post from the first thread too lol.

I nearly cried.

Taking screenshots for repository update, my hands were shaking.

OH MY GODS THE MUSIC

So um

yeah, that happened

and that's a lot that happened. Wow.

Great video!

The timestamps at the end point to an easter egg. u/RobotSquid_ on Reddit analysed the audio files which gave the following image:

v9q9vhnlw3z61.png

(credits: u/RobotSquid_ on Reddit).

Some of us think it's a map. A rocket can be seen orbiting Kerbin. Above the rocket there is something that is most likely the Kerbol System. At the top of the image, 12 dots could imply that there is twelve star systems to explore (I think it's a bit too much to be realistic, but who knows).

Back on the topic of the video, I'm really glad to see the new procedural wings. I'm hoping to see some procedural tanks one day (maybe as a mid-late game research?).

I paused the video to look at the VAB UI, and I think it's a lot more transparent in the way it shows info to the player. Can't wait to forget how to use the current VAB!

The tutorials look great, will there be advanced tutorials for new concepts of the game as well? I'm thinking about colony building, logistics, brachistochrone trajectories...

Edited by Truebadour

4 minutes ago, Truebadour said:

Great video!

The timestamps at the end point to an easter egg. u/RobotSquid_ on Reddit analysed the audio files which gave the following image:

v9q9vhnlw3z61.png

Some of us think it's a map. A rocket can be seen orbiting Kerbin. Above the rocket there is something that is most likely the Kerbol System. At the top of the image, 12 dots could imply that there is twelve star systems to explore (I think it's a bit too much to be realistic, but who knows).

It's like the SSTV signal from the Duna pyramid.

What could be the strange SSTV signal from duna? - KSP Discussion - Kerbal  Space Program Forums

WAIT that pyramid is part of a scraped story line from 2013:

Spoiler

In a forum post from late 2013,[1] Squad member Jeff C.(NovaSilisko) described an idea he had for connecting many easter eggs into a story concerning a civilization which predated the Kerbals. Experiments with interstellar travel resulted in the homeworld of this "precursor civilization" being flung out into an extremely distant orbit. Before they froze to death, they launched monoliths and other messages onto many planets and moons in hopes of seeding intelligent life. Instead, they created Kerbals, not-so-intelligent life.

The planet would not show up in any map and would be too distant to be observed with a telescope, making locating it by chance nearly impossible. However, players would be able to find transmitters beaming out SSTV signals on various bodies, each one of which would provide part of the orbital parameters necessary to locate it. The planet would be a bit smaller than Kerbin, covered in ruined cities and frozen oceans, and perpetually in twilight due to being so far from Kerbol.

The only element of this narrative which made it into the game is the SSTV transmitter on Duna, which transmits an image originally intended to depict 4 members of the precursor civilization standing on their homeworld, with the logo of their government. Had the narrative story been completed, it would also have contained part of the orbital parameters. Because the story was never implemented into the game, this explanation for the SSTV signal's imagery is arguably non-canon.[2]

And earlier in the feature video you see this:

Yes a distant planet far away from Kerbol with a bunch of question marks around it.

Iv already got a thread on this topic:

This is so awesome! I literally can not wait

I love the procedural wings and the tutorials are amazing! They remind me of Kurzgesagt videos.

Also the VAB UX improvements look great! I like the orthogonal view, that will definitely help with building!

And the final bit was super weird. I've heard that decoding the audio gives you this (its also a post above me)

v9q9vhnlw3z61.png

Confirmed star systems?

I've also heard a theory that the rocket in the final bit represents KSP2, and when it reaches its destination, the game will be released.

I wonder how much fun  the KSP2 developers are having, watching us hunt for the video easter eggs:D

4 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I heard that it was in an interview.

Will you guys publish the whole thing at some point or is there too much confidential game stuff?

Excellent Question! I want to know that myself!

3 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Yes a distant planet far away from Kerbol with a bunch of question marks around it.

Anyone remember NovaSilisko's scrapped storyline for KSP 1? There was supposed to be a distant planet orbiting Kerbol with the ruins of a dead alien civilization....

3 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

It's like the SSTV signal from the Duna pyramid.

YOOO exactly! :)

Looking forward to enjoy all the improvements a sequel from talented Devs can offer. I do feel though there is some disrespect to the original game.

Yes it has many rough parts but in this video its described almost as an impossible game to enjoy and create crafts to traverse the Kerbal universe.

Anyways.

Edited by Serenity

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Looking forward to enjoy all the improvements a sequel from talented Devs can offer. I do feel though there is some disrespect to the original game.

Yes it has many rough parts but in this video its described almost as an impossible game to enjoy and create crafts to traverse the Kerbal universe.

Anyways.

It’s also part marketing remember, so not to be unexpected. 

On 5/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, Truebadour said:

Great video!

v9q9vhnlw3z61.png

Back on the topic of the video, I'm really glad to see the new procedural wings. I'm hoping to see some procedural tanks one day (maybe as a mid-late game research?).

I paused the video to look at the VAB UI, and I think it's a lot more transparent in the way it shows info to the player. Can't wait to forget how to use the current VAB!

The tutorials look great, will there be advanced tutorials for new concepts of the game as well? I'm thinking about colony building, logistics, brachistochrone trajectories...

This might be a reference to the Arecibo Message, which was a message sent out for aliens to decode (if there are any aliens), just not as complicated, it could be the same thing with this, Kerbals trying to point out what their star system looks like, where they are in said star system, and what their current space travel technology looks like (but this is me looking WAY to deep into it)

Edited by DJDoesKSP

Exciting easter egg stuff aside, I really like the new functionality of the VAB UI/X. Although my monke brain screams "Different = Bad!" at the part pallet visual display and toolbar location. I am a bit of a sucker for opaque boxes nestled in opaque boxes (outdated GUIs). 

Nice stuff! However for me it feels like there's tendency to picture the first game as too much difficult and therefore that the sequel should be made easier (simplified?).

Would be great if someone could correct me on this, as i hope it's not the case :)

21 hours ago, KSPStar said:

Happy Friday! There's no Show and Tell today, but we do have a brand new feature video for you. 

In Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 3 - Next Gen Astronauts @Intercept Games devs talk about their mission to onboard the next generation of space industry experts with KSP2’s new tutorials, UI/UX improvements, quality of life features, and more. 

At 02:21 that appears to be our first look at a redesigned Tylo, or am I totally mistaken? It looks forboding... as it should!

18 hours ago, Serenity said:

I don't think it is disrespecful, it highlights one of the major flaws KSP1 has.  It is incredibly hard to just open it up and play,  even enough to see if you like it.  Not impossible I know, but very off putting to many, especially if they have nobody  on hand to ask how things work.  You shoudn't need to have to resort to youtube to even learn the basics, that info should be accessible in game.

I really hope the tutorials in KSP2 cover the UI game functions as well as they seem to be covering the 'rocket science'.

Edited by pandaman
Spelling correction