We are looking for a Part Designer!

53 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Interesting design, has never seen anything like it anywhere, I assume the disk spin keep it it shape during trust? 
Now I think an traditional liquid loop radiator would be more efficient, and and droplet or dust one will be much more so.
It might be relevant for warships as poking lots of small holes will not affect it much think shotgun style or proxy detonated shells. 

True, it is less efficient than a traditional "plate with a coolant snake" and it would also be robust to damage. I think the design is especially resistant to high acceleration through the axis of the craft because the radiating surface is comparatively low mass compared to a coolant snake, which minimizes weight under high thrust gravity.  The bending moments occurring from high acceleration would impact the rollers in a nontrivial way that I don't want to think about right now, but some kind of track structure or else small non-coolant bearing rollers that contact the outer and inner circumference of the ring could  be used to prevent slipping. You're making me think more and more about this for a war design though. Slap on some whipple shields, some emergency de-spin yo-yos, and a few hundred casaba howitzer drones on it and you've got yourself a corvette!

Edited by Wubslin

20 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Interesting design, has never seen anything like it anywhere, I assume the disk spin keep it it shape during trust? 
Now I think an traditional liquid loop radiator would be more efficient, and and droplet or dust one will be much more so.
It might be relevant for warships as poking lots of small holes will not affect it much think shotgun style or proxy detonated shells. 

The disk would be rigid and its own structural integrity would be the thing that keeps it in shape during acceleration. As I've said before it's just an exploration of concept and not any attempt at optimizing anything, but at the risk of derailing the thread (what topic is there to derail? I already applied, lol) I do want to go into design of spacecraft for combat application a second here.

So there's two kinds of weapons that you'll see in space combat: kinetic, and radiative. Kinetic weapons include projectiles, fragmentation, and plasma like would be projected from casaba howitzers. Radiative weapons include lasers and nuclear weapons. Now the thing about radiators is that they must have a clear view of the sky and maximum surface area, which precludes the use of anti-kinetic whipple shields and means spindly construction. Any Children of a Dead Earth player will tell you that they're an ideal target to aim for. 

So what can you do to make high-temp radiators a hardier component of your ship? The obvious step is to remove them entirely. If you use open cycle propulsion such as nuclear thermal and weapons powered by chemical reactions (yes, including lasers) then you can remove the need for big sheets hanging off your ship. Avoiding a large heat engine power plant means you can do low-temp planel mount radiators or even evaporative cooling.

If you absolutely need to get rid of a bunch of waste heat and therefore must have big radiators, a surefire way to make them a smaller target is to get them rejecting heat at a higher temperature. I'm going to steal a screenshot from the ToughSF blog to illustrate what I mean:

re9Bq6a.jpg

This is great for minimizing the target cross section of a radiator, but does little to make it robust to attack. High temperature radiators are always optimized for high emmissivity, but that also means consequently that they have high absorptivity as well. Nukes and lasers would eat them at close range. Not to mention that puncturing the coolant pipes and causinfg a leak would be a death sentence. Combined with the need for a good view of the sky you'd think there would be no way to protect one of these high-temp radiators, right?

Well, that was the thinking that got me coming up with concepts like that disk radiator. If you take that little high temp panel and have it constantly broiling a disk that rolls by, you suddenly have the ability to jacket that radiator in a box made of low absorptivity whipple shielding. Which means that the snaking pipe carrying your white hot coolant is now effectively shielded from weapons. As for the disk itself, making it out of a material which is designed to ablate away on extreme heating can make it resistant to nuclear weapons and lasers. Increasing the density of the disk would decrease any ablative recoil effect which could threaten to snap the disk or damage its mounting hardware. The simple fact that no coolant runs through it means it is also far more robust to kinetic attack. If I would change anything about that disk radiator design it would be to change from conductive coolant rollers to a radiative "broiler box" so that a damaged disk wouldn't chew up any sensitive mechanisms.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty good at modeling stuff in Blender, and I specialize in space-related images, but I'm not very familiar with how modeling for games would work. Also, I know nothing about coding. However, I guess I would say my knowledgeability in physics (I LOVE physics), engineering, and a little chemistry would definitely be a good contribution to the position. I probably won't apply, (I'm not even out of high school yet), but I would say I would make a good option for this position.

Edited by Irreversible Extents
More info

On 5/14/2021 at 4:13 PM, Naeth Kerman said:

I don't even know how to code

Speaking as someone who is a bundle of uncertainty and doubt, I started fumbling my way with C# programming and Unity a while ago.  It's stop and start.  A couple friends are also helping mentor, answering questions, pointing out resources.

If you have the dream, the road is out there.  And having worked my entire adult life in crap hourly jobs, trust me, it's worth pursuing.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:13 PM, Naeth Kerman said:

I don't even know how to code

Don't need to for this one. It's a concept/3D design job by the description. Someone else will make the parts functional. The person they are hiring for this job just needs to make them look good! The skills they are going to be looking for are concept art, which is ability to make clean, detailed sketches that clearly communicate shape, structure, and materials, as well as 3D modeling skills to turn designs into actual models for the game, with more focus on the later by the sounds of it.

21 hours ago, Defenestrator47 said:

If you have the dream, the road is out there.  And having worked my entire adult life in crap hourly jobs, trust me, it's worth pursuing.

Yeah, a career in games is rewarding (if sometimes stressful) and there are many ways to get in. If you have technical, artistic, design, or management skills that you can grow and you are good at working with other people from diverse backgrounds, there are jobs in games for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whoever gets this job, can I just say please please please consider being inspired by @Daishi and @DMagic's (and formerly @Paul Kingtiger's) amazing work on Universal Storage II. Building functional and beautiful service modules and cargo closets with it seems so underrated yet is one of the most satisfying things in my rocket designs.

Edited by theonegalen

22 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Whoever gets this job, can I just say please please please consider being inspired by @Daishi and @DMagic's (and formerly @Paul Kingtiger's) amazing work on Universal Storage II. Building functional and beautiful service modules and cargo closets with it seems so underrated yet is one of the most satisfying things in my rocket designs.

Thankyou for the endorsement and kind words <3 

@KSPStar I borrowed a lot from the 1950's - 1970's aesthetic in the things I made - It's the perfect excuse for grounded, 'realish' designs that could have possibly existed while maintaining a quirky Kerbal feel at the same time. I mean, I'm sure the logistics of shipping up hundreds of miniature CRT monitors on unmanned probes isn't that farfetched when you can ride a SRB up to orbit on a lawn chair. :D

https://gfycat.com/glamorousunnaturalgerbil

I personally love that era which is probably at odds with the more futuristic, end game focus KSP2 has; but if the sequel focused on reinforcing that sense of technological progression as you climbed through the tech tree, I'd certainly be keen to grapple with some early-game parts painted in teal with monochrome, phosphor displays ;)

Edited by Daishi

I only have the historical background and research skills, best I can do is convey ideas using other people's pictures and my limited ones. I was able to pick up design software really quickly in high school though. :cool:

Edited by MonkeyCan'tDock

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a quick reminder to  those interested in this or any other Intercept Games positions to apply via the links provided on https://www.interceptgames.com/#jobs. You can feel free to discuss any experience you have here, or recommend this position to others to check out, however those interested will still need to fill out an application to be considered. :) Best of luck to those who have already applied! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, KSP_linux0191 said:

I would really like to contribute to the construction of KSP2 somehow, but I don't know how to code or do modeling, and I'm not sure what else there is to do.

In case you or anybody else reading this is serious about looking into careers in games, here's what you need to know. If you go to almost any studio's site, you can find list of openings they are advertising. Like @KSPStar posted above, Jobs at Intercept Games. Currently, the openings at Intercept all require engineering, art, or design skills. But in general, there's a pretty wide range of qualifications that game studios look for. Click on a job title, and it should send you to a page with a description. The two sections you are most interested in are Responsibilities and Requirements. Together, they give you a pretty good idea of what you need to know in order to qualify for the job. If you want to work in game development in the future and plan to train for it, these are good targets to set for yourself. Note that education and prior experience requirements can sometimes be waved if you have a strong background otherwise. I've worked with people who got hired into software engineering position in games straight out of high school. But in any case, you have to have skills that the studio is looking for.

For some more examples, Private Division has a jobs page as well, and besides the jobs at Intercept, they are also advertising a few positions in main offices and at Roll 7 studios. These include management, production, and QA jobs.

Take a look around, see what studios are hiring for what. It's exceptionally unlikely that you'll be able to be picky about which studio you work for when you start out, but you can definitely use this to set future goals. Game development is a big hard to get into from the ground, but once you are in and build up a bit of experience, especially if you are good at what you do, it becomes a lot easier to look for jobs at studios you specifically want to work at. And if you're really good, you can often just ping the studio HR and see if they'll hire you even if they don't have an advertised opening for your skill set. Studios are always looking for good talent.

• 3 weeks later...