simple rocket attitude control?

paynterf

Total newbie here.  I'm trying to control the attitude of my rocket in the simplest possible beginner configuration, but it seems the only way to control attitude is with the keyboard, which seems to be basically impossible to get right.  Even full pitch up or down (or yaw left/right) during the ascent phase seems to stop at about 30 deg off vertical, and it seems to be impossible to control the craft in an engine-down attitude using the keyboard controls.  Is there some magic here that I'm missing?

TIA,

Frank

On a different, but related, topic.  It is frustrating that I can only practice attitude control on the rocket for a few seconds after max altitude.  Then I have to wait until the rocket lands, recover the rocket, launch the rocket, and wait for engine burnout before getting another few seconds of attitude control practice time.  Any way to speed this up (I'm already using the warp controls, but this doesn't affect the long times required go through the recovery checklist, load the VAB scene, load the launch pad scene, and then the ascent time.

Any help would be appreciated

Frank

As your rocket flies the speed changes, the air gets thinner, the weight of the craft diminishes due to fuel consumption, and so on. The trick is not in the keyboard controls but in making a ship that still performs properly as the conditions change. It sounds like you're having the common problem of either not including enough control parts (like steerable fins) or not attaching them in the right places. Can you share pictures of your rocket? That often helps with diagnosing problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moar boosters might help.

In all seriousness, your craft might not have the best aerodynamic profile. As someone who does rocketry IRL, you need to have relatively big fins. Adding RCS thrusters might help with your practice.

Good luck!