Logical inconsistencies

spikeyhat09

As for atmosphere composition, I had had the idea of something like...20% oxygen, 60% carbon dioxide, 10% nitrogen, 5% water vapor, and 5% other. The oceans on Laythe are in fact liquid water, by the way.

And Jeb thanks you for this, as he is stranded there.

In that case, except for that carbon dioxide level which is lethal, you could live on Laythe without a pressure suit or oxygen mask. Its definitely the second most habitable place in the solar system so far. Earth's atmosphere is only 20.9% oxygen.

Yes, that in fact remind me about the habitable moon in movie Avatar

Can someone please explain to me how a planet 20 billion meters away from Kerbol (with an atmosphere, though only like 20% that of kerbin) has freakishly large icecaps, while a moon orbiting a planet 70 billion meters miles away is basically one big ocean (Where the atmosphere is only about 70% that of kerbin)? Even with the thicker atmosphere, the moon Laythe would be FAR outside the habitable zone. And it doesn't even have icecaps!! 30% thinner atmosphere, like 5 times as far away as kerbin, and it has no ice caps, while kerbin does?!? whats going on here?!

Laythe is orbiting a gas giant. Ever heard of tidal forces? They affect a whole body, which gives friction which then again gives heat. Think Europa.

As of Duna, take a look on the atmosphere. Since it is so thin, it doesn't keep the heat as well as a body with a denser atmosphere.

As for atmosphere composition, I had had the idea of something like...20% oxygen, 60% carbon dioxide, 10% nitrogen, 5% water vapor, and 5% other. The oceans on Laythe are in fact liquid water, by the way.

So, the tidal forces on the moon are exactly enough to keep water within the 100C window? without the help from CFCs?

Recently I saw a table that showed Helium still stays liquid at 0 degree Kelvin. That's Absolute Zero, there is nothing colder than that. At least in our current understanding of universal physics. But if it is true that Helium is still liquid when it should otherwise be solid like every other element at Absolute Zero, then this illustrates that no matter how cold it gets, there will always be something you can go surfing on.

Quick physics lesson: Every element is in four stages at different levels of temperature: plasma, gas, liquid, solid. Solid is where the element is at its coldest state. Example, Bromine(a non-metallic element like carbon) becomes a liquid from a solid during a nice day, about 77 degrees F or 25 degrees Celsius. Hydrogen becomes liquid at -252.762°C, and solid only 7 degrees lower. Figure this may help some people try to understand that those ice caps and bodies of liquid could be anything.

My friend, I have spacewalked on Jool's surfrace

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33533[/ATTACH]

Nothing surprises me

Well, yeah, get low enough in any gas giant and it will get dense enough for you to show your best swimming ballet moves. But I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself, those kinds of pressures turn humans into red goo. Kerbals are of much sterner stuff. If they can't handle it, they will just vaporize.

Edited by samstarman5

I'd say temperatures on Laythe hover mostly between 0°C (polar regions) and 8°C (equatorial regions). Laythe is like the Shetland Islands in northwestern Europe. Why? The Shetland Islands are located at around 60 degrees north and basically outside the main warm zone of Earth, but the North Atlantic Current en prevailing wind blowing from the southwest prevents it from being an icy wasteland most of the year. Laythe floats far from the sun and outside the main warm zone, but tidal heating from Jool and a dense atmosphere prevents it from becoming a frozen world, like Vall ... !

Tidal forces of orbiting body.

Gases at different pressures reach different resting temperatures.

It doesn't have to be water / water ice.

Just look at the temp of Venus compared to that of Mercury. If Mars had more of an atmosphere (and magnetosphere) then it would also get warmer, without the need to move the position of the planet.

Basically, the distance you are from the parent star doesn't have a direct co-relation with the surface temperature of the planet. Other things also have to be taken into account. Like the density of the planet, if it has a magnetic field, internal heat of the planet, composition of the atmosphere and density of that atmosphere.

IIRC that is.

"Quick physics lesson: Every element is in four stages at different levels of temperature: plasma, gas, liquid, solid."

I think you need a booster lesson in the states of superfluids, Bose-Einstein Condensates, Fermion-Condensates, Supersolids, and those are the additional states I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, it isn't just temperature which affects which state matter is in but pressure and magnetism, too. For instance on a commercial airliner, the cabin is pressurised slightly less than that of the Earth at ground level, therefore water boils and becomes a gas at a lower temperature.

Recently I saw a table that showed Helium still stays liquid at 0 degree Kelvin. That's Absolute Zero, there is nothing colder than that.

We actually don't know what state Helium is at 0 degrees Kelvin because we've never been able to reach that temperature. We've come close, half a billionth of a degree above absolute zero. Also whether it was liquid would also depend on the pressure and the amount of space it has to expand into as, according to wikipedia (take that as you will), someone did make solid helium by applying external pressure to a small amount of liquid helium cooled close to absolute zero.

"Quick physics lesson: Every element is in four stages at different levels of temperature: plasma, gas, liquid, solid."

I think you need a booster lesson in the states of superfluids, Bose-Einstein Condensates, Fermion-Condensates, Supersolids, and those are the additional states I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, it isn't just temperature which affects which state matter is in but pressure and magnetism, too. For instance on a commercial airliner, the cabin is pressurised slightly less than that of the Earth at ground level, therefore water boils and becomes a gas at a lower temperature.

I was trying to keep it simple for the laypeople here. Adding additional states and such would just shut their brains off. I wonder if I was stretching it by including plasma.

In the end, KSP isn't about rocket science, thermodynamics, or physics. It is about making a rocket out of whatever you want to, and see what happens. Theory is for the classroom, kerbals are all about practice.

Addendum:

I've got no idea what the OP is talking about. KSP is the most logical game I've ever played.

screenshot230.png

As bizarre an image as you are trying to convey here, it makes me wonder if I need bother keeping Space Engine installed, considering the views I can now get with KSP.

Edited by samstarman5

So does that mean theres potentially life on Laythe?

With the immense amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, along with Nitrogen, I believe there could.

I've also wondered why Moho is so hot, especially on the dark side. On Mecury, the temps range from 100 K to 700 K, with the dark side being as cold as 100 K.

• 2 years later...
Bit of necroposting here but laythe has ice caps in the polar regions.

So you reopened a two year old thread to post the same thing that was posted in the 13th response to the thread?

Also, it does actually have tiny ice caps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.