KSP Loading…: Leading up to something special

UomoCapra

32 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

They're set up so players don't have to update their old craft, the sizes are all the same.

Kind of like... half... the answer I was hoping for, thank you. :D If this is an indicator that the colliders and transform are the same as the current parts it could save a bit of work for some mods out there but I guess time will tell. Looking forward to update release!

New solar panels, better looking and rotatable docking ports and a deployable ground anchor to build stuff on top of? I think I'll go with d) all of the above!

I don't see any issues with the large docking port's design- if you can't figure out that the concave side is the front, exactly like on every other docking port, then you shouldn't be using it...

@MaxsimalUm...The rotating docking ports? someone in one of the discords came up with a concern. Are they susceptible to robotic drift?

A robotic part and everything connected to that part are affected by robotic drift. Will this happen to a docking port and everything connected?

Edited by Anth12

1 hour ago, Maxsimal said:

Only time will tell...  :cool:

Come on man, it's in the title 'leading'

It's gonna be pipes and cables (and winches) isn't it?

/grumblegrumble wheresthe3.75mdockingbatterysas :P

Yes! Love that ground anchor! Been needing that for awhile :grin:

Nice nice nice additions, just about ready to tie it all up and make it stable I assume?  Or I wonder if any more items are coming down the pipe first? :happy:

Some very nice additions, and great-looking updates. Thank you.

7 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

The Ground Anchor

This one especially will be very, very welcome.

I'm hoping it is not too big or cheeky a request to consider, if still feasible:

Since you've added the code to fix craft positions for the ground anchor... any chance we might see a similar part to anchor sea and/or lighter-than-air craft? For the buoyant type of probes, vessels, and bases.

The exact same part for both as far as I'm concerned. Drop a hook-like part on a line to the ground/seafloor from a craft floating or submerged in atmosphere/liquid, and on contact 'fix' the position. Limit the anchor line length even to some reasonable number to prevent abuse (ie. if too high from ground, anchor doesn't fix position. but it deploys still... in case we float by higher ground!).

Still gonna use the heck out of that ground anchor regardless, but you know... 'anchor'. Just saying.

Ok, gonna be quiet now.

4 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I didn't think of this. But now I think of it I actually need space cranes. 

I don't know why I didn't think about it either when I saw it, it just makes sense to have a crane train yard style that you don't have to worry about tipping over when you lift stuff up

:awe:

It may be feasible now to create a single Rover chassis and have a swappable body depending on what you need done in the area, mining, transport, science... great idea!!

Easier to send up multiple body styles and just a single Rover chassis instead of a complete independent Rover for everything. I sure hope it's sturdy enough to work that way

Edited by Dientus
oops

6 hours ago, Just a random person said:

Awesome!!!

The only thing I'm not sure I like is the black and yellow striping on the sr docking port tho.

Other than that, looks epic!

I agree, I would quite like the stripes to go away :)

I always try to hide them when building anyway :D

3 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Are they susceptible to robotic drift?

I’ve never heard of this :S got a link to a thread/image/video of it?

@MR L A

Bug #25841: Pistons (probably other robotics as well) are permanently warped further and further each time a craft is loaded causing crafts to malfunction permanently - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Bugtracker

Any Robotic attachment points (and part's attachment points connected on that branch) within the game that are under any force, will move and on leaving the scene (saving etc) will lock its position. On reloading the scene it will reapply the force bending the part away from its attachment further.  Each time the scene is loaded the movement will get further.

Standard Parts will snap back into their original positions on timewarp or leaving the scene or on saving the game. Robotics keep their current position and saves that. So that will cause potentially a large gap.

KSP wasn't meant to remember current forces being applied to attachment points (node or surface attached)

The game assumes all parts are in their original positions.

The only differences between normal parts and robotic parts (and anything connected to them) should be the extention/rotation. NOT the forced being applied to them by gravity or by another part pushing against them.

What's worse is, if you have a group of parts attached to a robotic part horizontally it will bend down via gravity. On reloading the scene that is now its permanent locked

6 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

@MR L A

Bug #25841: Pistons (probably other robotics as well) are permanently warped further and further each time a craft is loaded causing crafts to malfunction permanently - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Bugtracker

(...)

What's worse is, if you have a group of parts attached to a robotic part horizontally it will bend down via gravity. On reloading the scene that is now its permanent locked

I can't wait for the more adventurous kerbonauts to attach drills, claws and grip pads to this part and build a "Krakenlauncher" contraption that  can yeet craft at considerable fractions of light speed into space.

6 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

They're set up so players don't have to update their old craft, the sizes are all the same.

That's because the old parts are still in the game, you can still find them by looking for filter by manufacturer, then click on a manufacturer

Probably, there is one thing more. Maybe, some new gameplay mechanics.

Otherwise why show this all at once and not release.

Also unlikely the pause will be long. Maybe, the next week.

Also they must have a time to upgrade bugfix  the 1.12.0 to 1.12.1 before the anniversary.

So, the user screams are appreciated.

@ docking ports

Interestingly the game‘s docking part module has an inherent way to make the ports only attach at certain angles set by degrees and a definable leeway.

So adding robotics for this seems an interesting approach?

Still looking forward for anything else and patches. ;)

14 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Buckle up, and let’s learn about some of the content that will be included in this upcoming update.

@kerbiloid "lets learn about some of the content that will be included in this upcoming update."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.