Severe memory leaks

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this so if it's not, can you please move it there?

Anyway, here's a bug report.

Whenever I start KSP, the CPU runs at around 45c and only around 1GB ram usage.

But just 3 hours in it's running at 65c and a whopping 8GB of ram is being used.

Since I don't use an amd i dont have to replace my CPU but I'm just wondering if it's possible to fix this. The GPU gradually ramps up from 45c-65c aswell.

Also yes I know my processor seems to run too hot but it's an intel so don't worry, it's made to get hot so I'm alright, but I'm still uncomfortable with these temperatures.

65C is actually quite tame. I'm given to understand most chips are designed to run up to 90-100C.

As to the "memory leak", odds are that's just lazy garbage collection. If your system was actually running out of RAM, Windows would refuse to allocate more to KSP, and KSP would do more frequent GC runs.

3 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

65C is actually quite tame. I'm given to understand most chips are designed to run up to 90-100C.

As to the "memory leak", odds are that's just lazy garbage collection. If your system was actually running out of RAM, Windows would refuse to allocate more to KSP, and KSP would do more frequent GC runs.

I don't use Windows (it hates my wifi card), does Linux do it too? I wasn't aware that 65c was a tame temperature as this computer is a 10 year-old upgraded PC, and the CPU is one of the 4 parts that weren't upgraded.

2 hours ago, Snark said:

Moving to Technical Support.

Thank you.

Edited by krblman

Modern operating systems generally are pretty lax about memory management: unless it's actually running out of memory, it's cheaper to keep old, no-longer-needed objects hanging around in memory than spending CPU cycles figuring out what can and can't be cleared out of memory. The same is true of KSP itself: you'll occasionally see the game stutter for no apparent reason: what it's doing is "garbage collection" where it finds pieces of memory which are no longer needed, and frees up the space for re-use.

The closer KSP is to its memory limit, the more frequently it has to do GC runs, and more time is wasted scanning over objects which are still in use. So, if your system has the physical memory to spare, it'll happily just eat up the memory until the OS says "no more"*.

*The actual amount of memory KSP can use I'm not 100% clear on, but the general theory of "it's often cheaper just to let stuff accumulate and have rare GC runs clear up a lot of memory each time" holds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.