Cpu temperatures

I don't  want this computer to die.

I repeat, I do not want this computer to die.

With that aside, I love KSP. It's my favorite (and go-to) game.

But it can make my CPU as hot as 65c. (It's an Intel)

How do I stop this? I don't want this computer to die!

Without knowing the details or particulars of when or how old, some things I do....

Ground strap before doing anything. Ground yourself. Moving dust can even cause issues so read up before continuing...

Disassemble and clean all fans, heatsinks, and clean and apply new thermal paste because at that temp there's a good chance the old paste is dried and cracked. Consider a new cpu fan depending on what you find.

Edited by Dientus
also be sure you know whats running or not running when temps hit

1 minute ago, Dientus said:

Without knowing the details or particulars of when or how old, some things I do....

The computer is a 9-year-old upgraded HP Z220 SFF Workstation. The only things that aren't upgraded are the CPU, Motherboard, DVD Drive, and PSU.

Intel chip average I believe are 40-50c running windows OS at idle, no games or programs(average) at that age I know the thermal paste is toast anyways. Its a good starting place.

Check and compare online and consider fan/heatsink upgrade as well. It may be time for a complete systemn upgrade which you obviously know, but thats all I got from here. Good luck

Edited by Dientus
added

65c isn't in the danger zone at all. I consider 65c a comfortable temperature under load. If it was over 75c, with peaks around 80c... that might warrant some attention. Urgent would be over 90c. 95c is absolute nope zone for me. I'd be far more worried about capacitors failing due to age etc than the CPU actually giving out.

1 minute ago, TLTay said:

65c isn't in the danger zone at all. I consider 65c a comfortable temperature under load. If it was over 75c, with peaks around 80c... that might warrant some attention. Urgent would be over 90c. 95c is absolute nope zone for me. I'd be far more worried about capacitors failing due to age etc than the CPU actually giving out.

Thanks! Now I know that I can shove Jebediah into Minmus and try to bury him under ice cream while knowing the computer is safe.

6 minutes ago, krblman said:

Thanks! Now I know that I can shove Jebediah into Minmus and try to bury him under ice cream while knowing the computer is safe.

Do you know the exact CPU the computer came with? Intel usually has the thermal max levels listed somewhere on their site for the specific processor. Looks like the z220 had a large variety of CPU available to choose from when new. Looks like some came with Xeon processors which may have a lower temp tolerance?

Edited by TLTay
edit

11 minutes ago, TLTay said:

Do you know the exact CPU the computer came with? Intel usually has the thermal max levels listed somewhere on their site for the specific processor. Looks like the z220 had a large variety of CPU available to choose from when new.

I5-3470

17 minutes ago, TLTay said:

95c is absolute nope zone for me.

*chuckles* You would've hated my old AMD laptop. It couldn't even run KSP itself. It quite frequently got over 100C. It was so bad that it even destroyed a cooling pad by overheating it. That's like putting a fan in a room so hot that the fan burns out from the air temperature. That computer died from (and i kid you not) the case melting and getting on the CPU. The motherboard was literally black around its cpu because of how hot it got (these were burnmarks!) and they were also all over the bottom case's inside. I'm both glad and surprised that it never caught on fire. One time I spilled water on it while playing a game and it got no water damage because it was literally so hot all the water evaporated after getting in. The computer then started having steam come out for the next few minutes.

Edited by krblman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.