Secret project related to KSP2?!?! Info from developer Job postings!

TLTay

The console buttons are on the keyboard.

Otherwise it's GUI

> set throttle 0.95
Throttle = 95%.
You see a torch of flame behind the nozzle.

(Enter W(ait), A(bort), or space to enter another command.)

9 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The console buttons are on the keyboard.

Otherwise it's GUI

> set throttle 0.95
Throttle = 95%.

Console as in a gaming console, i.e an XBOX, PS5, etc.

Edited by MechBFP

Just now, MechBFP said:

Console as in a gaming console, i.e an XBOX, PS5, etc.

Oops. Got it.

xbox:/> start KSP
KSP is running.

xbox:/> set throttle 0.95
Throttle = 95%.

44 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Oops. Got it.

xbox:/> start KSP
KSP is running.

xbox:/> set throttle 0.95
Throttle = 95%.

You are thirty seconds from reaching apoapsis. You may be eaten by a grue.

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

would you need artists for a port?

Depends on the kinds of artist I guess. The new consoles ray tracing doesn't look at all like Nvidia's and isn't going to completely look like AMD's either. Both Microsoft and Sony have their own special sauce going on. Could be a lot specific rework required. I think they are just expanding the team so they can roll on tick tock updates and dlc. It's also possible they got another endorsement from another IRL space agency and are working on something for that. 

4 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

would you need artists for a port?

I don't know. Given that the two positions offered were software engineering positions I'm a bit confused as to why artists are brought up.

4 hours ago, MechBFP said:

For the control buttons, etc, although I can't imagine that is much time required.

Obviously you're one of those people who thinks that Arial and Helvetica are at least vaguely similar. Graphic designers will take offense to your assumption ;p

I read the job description and it looked very interesting. The wording is very suspicious. An unnamed mission. This wording is very weird. An unnamed mission. I wonder what could this be.  I wonder if @Intercept Games is working on another game or something similar. I wonder. I'm thinking as I write this post. Maybe the team is working on another game based off of Kerbal Space Program. Like an adventure game. But I dont think this is what going on. Maybe it is nothing. maybe its KSP2. But who knows. I am always surprised and opened to new theories.  Maybe @Nate Simpson will reveal it himself one day. Who knows. :) 

Edited by Dr. Kerbal
Its a game theory.

I'd be happy to see a space-set RPG, but realistic. Like, an Expanse game, but Kerbal-esque. Although, if they were doing that, they'd be hiring writers now, not devs. Some sort of DLC or spinoff sounds likely to my untrained ears.

22 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

I'd be happy to see a space-set RPG, but realistic. Like, an Expanse game, but Kerbal-esque. Although, if they were doing that, they'd be hiring writers now, not devs.

You'd be surprised. In my experience, you either don't have a writer at all in preproduction or borrow one from another team and contract out the bulk of the work. Even once the game is in full production, the lead writer is very frequently a contractor. And the two types of games I've spent most of my industry career working on, funnily enough, are the MMO RPGs and very story-rich, narrative-driven games. Obviously, at two very different studios. Both of them have had full time writers employed, but they were primarily responsible for writing additional character dialog, side-quests, fleshing out details in main story, etc. Not to make their work sound less significant, mind you. It takes a lot of talent and dedication to write good dialogues for pre-established characters or to add new side-characters who balance out the story. However, the core would be written by a well-known writer hired to do a unique story for specific game or major update, and while that can happen pretty early in the game's creation, because that writer is usually quietly contracted through agencies, we won't hear about it at least until the game is announced.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I still think that a large scale RPG is unlikely, but the fact that they aren't hiring writers for it is not an indication one way or another.

22 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

Some sort of DLC or spinoff sounds likely to my untrained ears.

Yeah, that's what it reads like. If it weren't for mention of interest for space exploration in the list of preferred qualifications, I'd bet on something like a Kerbal Kart Racing or something. (I still think it'd be a good enough idea.) But with that line in mind, maybe a colony-building game? Nothing too grandiose, I don't think, but something like Fallout ShelterOxygen Not Included, or maybe even a more family-friendly take on Rimworld with a Kerbal theme and some unique twists could really sing. Basically, more about resource management than grand strategy, and with relatively simple graphics, relying more on game mechanics to keep it interesting.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:40 AM, SOXBLOX said:

Like, an Expanse game

The setting from the Expanse was originally created for an MMO that never went into production, then the authors tried to pitch it to other media before deciding to use it for a series of books.

10 hours ago, K^2 said:

You'd be surprised. In my experience, you either don't have a writer at all in preproduction or borrow one from another team and contract out the bulk of the work.

Good grief! I am surprised. Well, then, never mind the writer thing...

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

I just hope it's not KSP3 or something along the lines of that.

I don't think you need to worry MT. I just don't see that being the case. I'm leaning toward a spinoff.

The SEII/III positions seem to be for main KSP2 team. That lines up with observation that they are kind of light on engineering right now. And it makes sense that they are taking their time with engineering/design leads for unannounced project, since these are critical positions for pre-production, and at this point, there isn't a timeline for release yet, so you might as well wait until you find the right people. Good leads that can work independently on a new project are hard to find.

1 hour ago, Ahres said:

Kerbal Kart

I don't think this should be on Intercept, but if TakeTwo contracts a dev team to make Kerbal Kart Racing, I'm going to play it, not going to lie. Especially, if they have some customization mechanics borrowed from KSP.

Sounds like a different game to me. I mean, new team, for a new project, intented to "continue our goal to make phenomenal gameS for our players to love"

So I am gonna bet in some spinoff game. Perhaps a mini game. A mobile version. An RPG mission. A VR special, I don't know, but it doesn't sound like something KSP2 to me.

2 hours ago, Sesshaku said:

So I am gonna bet in some spinoff game. Perhaps a mini game. A mobile version. An RPG mission. A VR special, I don't know, but it doesn't sound like something KSP2 to me.

I think one of the job reqs implied that the game is either space related or specifically Kerbal IP. In either case, yeah, a spin-off sounds most plausible.