Secret project related to KSP2?!?! Info from developer Job postings!

TLTay

How about Human Space Program? RO and RP-1 have a pretty substantial community in KSP and developing a standalone game that can share some of the technical aspects with KSP2 but avoid being encumbered with decisions that don’t suit a more realism-centric game, and the disparate amalgamation of mods currently needed to play RO/RP-1, would seem like a good option.

10 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Maybe this reflects my lack of imagination, but I have a hard time picturing what kind of DLC would need that kind of new talent. It would have to introduce entirely new systems, not just build on the existing ones, and would have to be more ambitious than anything we've seen in KSP1 DLCs. I can think of a few things (mostly because I'd really like them but think they would be way too ambitious and/or peripheral to be realistically included in the base game), but not many.

Can't argue - it's a stretch, for sure. But just because we're not coming up with something on the spot doesn't mean they didn't find an interesting opportunity over months of development.

11 hours ago, Thundy said:

Emphasis on the word "mission" not "project".

That's just normal recruitment embellishment. Everything about it looks like a dedicated project.

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Is it possible they're still onboarding since the studio switch and may be adding another mechanic to the game now that the foundation is solid? 

They have the leads positions in engineering, art, and design open up at the same time. That's basically your trifecta for a pre-production. It's like if a fighter, a cleric, and a wizard walk into an inn, you know they aren't there just for drinks. The odds of intercept still needing to add or replace all three at once are, appropriately, astronomically low. This is definitely for something new, and the flavor text on the req matches that pretty well.

4 hours ago, K^2 said:

They have the leads positions in engineering, art, and design open up at the same time. That's basically your trifecta for a pre-production. It's like if a fighter, a cleric, and a wizard walk into an inn, you know they aren't there just for drinks. The odds of intercept still needing to add or replace all three at once are, appropriately, astronomically low. This is definitely for something new, and the flavor text on the req matches that pretty well.

If they want the game to try on bank on success of KSP 1 and have maybe 10years life space then it would seem like a good plan to have Tik Tok teams each handling ever second release. Give each down time and space to be creative as well as providing a range of opinions. 

15 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

If they want the game to try on bank on success of KSP 1 and have maybe 10years life space then it would seem like a good plan to have Tik Tok teams each handling ever second release. Give each down time and space to be creative as well as providing a range of opinions. 

You're not wrong, but you generally don't stagger full teams on your flagship IP. If they, indeed, want to start working on KSP3 ASAP, they'd still want key developers from KSP2, like creative director, to roll over to KSP3 team. That does mean that you want pre-production on KSP3 to finish right around the time KSP2 ships - no earlier. And I just don't think they'd have a long pre-production planned. Six months form now is still December of this year. And I don't think anybody expects KSP2 to ship before summer 2022. This feels entirely too early for pre-production on KSP3. (Granted, some large games can be in pre-production a lot longer, but nobody usually plans for a pre-production hell, and smaller studios try to keep pre-production period short and lean.)

I also doubt that pre-production of KSP3 would get approved before we see at least pre-order numbers on KSP2. It's more realistic that KSP3 concept isn't even going to be worked on until after the KSP2 ships, meaning pre-production in late '22, early '23 - that's if they go for it at all. So way, way too early for something like that.

On the other hand, odds are, some people will start rolling off KSP2 late in Alpha through early Beta. There will be a lot of stuff to finish and fix, but you often don't need all hands on deck for it. It's entirely too late to do concept art, for example. And even among engineers, there are these who are better at laying down new systems than fixing stuff. So you usually want somewhere to roll people over, because firing and re-hiring later is a huge waste. Now, KSP2 is going to be rolling out of alpha early '22 baring any disasters, so if they started pre-production on another project, say, around now, they'd potentially get green-lit around January and be ready to start taking on additional developers, like ones rolling off KSP2.

So yes, I think you have a very strong point, and I think it would be smart of them to utilize KSP IP in some way here, which it sounds like what they're doing, I just don't think it's anything like KSP3. And I know you didn't explicitly say it, and maybe you weren't even thinking it would be a direct sequel, but I did kind of want to break down in a bit more detail why I think it sounds more like a spin-off.

17 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

How about Human Space Program? RO and RP-1 have a pretty substantial community in KSP and developing a standalone game that can share some of the technical aspects with KSP2 but avoid being encumbered with decisions that don’t suit a more realism-centric game, and the disparate amalgamation of mods currently needed to play RO/RP-1, would seem like a good option.

It doesn't make sense from a commercial standpoint.

Yes, RO is different from Vanilla KSP but not so much different to be considered another genre altogether, right now the only competition to KSP2 is KSP1 it wouldn't make sense to do double the work to split the sales between 2 games. (Unless you're telling me that none of the people playing RO will buy KSP2)

All of the open positions seem to have the preferred qualification of "A passion for space exploration, rocketry, satellites, and related entertainment media."

So I think it's fair to assume it's KSP related.

Also, in their internships they're looking for a UX designer intern

Edited by mcwaffles2003

I'll take a guess...

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM MMO :o

Move over, EVE Online. We've got a bunch of nerds that know ten dollar words like "hyperbolic excess" and "oberth effect", lol.

Edited by Wubslin

4 hours ago, Wubslin said:

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM MMO :o

Move over, EVE Online.

You know the only correct way to title this game will be Eve Online, right? What? Take Two has lawyers. They can figure it out.

Nice K^2.

My 2 cents, because it's been on my mind for a couple years now, I could see Private Division going all in on physics/science simulators that are fun AND educational. So an unannounced mission that likely relates to the Kerbal universe is not surprising.

Think about it, aerospace could be just the beginning of a Kerbal brand of games that cover a range of topics that are interesting to play with but would also contribute to the players that are genuinely intrigued by said topics ending up pursuing a career in them - think structural design (like yours truly), or different emphases of mechanical engineering, or a full-blown Kerbal submarine program, or something else entirely. A Kerbal could someday represent more than just a gutsy (or not) space-farer. A Kerbal could someday be the epitome of "the gateway drug to physics" to the current and next generation.

Adding to speculation, why not an extremely advanced, based on real world, true space simulator? Maybe use VR trying to set up NASA training for future real life missions?