Best first destination in Science Mode

krblman

Kerbin.

Two command pods stuck together by their pointy ends (to make an hourglass shape) can roll around the KSC a and collect a lot of science, especially with Bob on hand to reset the mystery goo canisters and store samples in both pods. Each facility in the KSC is its own “biome” and some structures are separate too e.g. the three tracking station dishes, most fuel tanks and the various parts of the R&D complex, so there’s oodles of science to be gained without even launching a single rocket; once you unlock wheels it becomes even easier and when you’re done at KSC, head out around Kerbin to get science from all its biomes.

Depending on your science gain setting, you can unlock a substantial part of the tech tree without ever leaving the atmosphere. It takes a while, but means you can extract the maximum possible science when you head out into space.

For a low delta-V option after LKO science, you can also do a free-return around the Mun (and Minmus): with a scientist and experiment containers onboard, that should let you harvest all the materials science + mystery goo, thermo+baro, crew report, and at least some of the EVA reports from space high/low over said moons.

Do note that a perfect free return is difficult to get without a relatively high flyby of these moons, so I usually reserve a bit of delta-V for a correction burn.

EDIT: For bonus points, slingshot from the Mun to Minmus, then back to Kerbin, possibly using a second Mun encounter on the way. One low delta-V mission with a quite high science reward.

Edited by Starman4308

I would say Minmus after orbiting.

First, I did a flyby around the Mun which did give me a lot of science, but honestly, for your first "Landing" do Minmus. It is so easy to land on and you can biome hop with very little effort, racking up huge amounts of Science.

For interplanetary first trip, go to Gilly.

A Munar flyby, Minmus flyby, and solar flyby (leaving Kerbin's sphere of influence for a few minutes and then turning around and going right back home counts!) are all simple and will net you decent amounts of science. If you actually want to put boots on the ground though, Minmus is the best choice because its hella low gravity makes it so much easier than the Mun. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.